Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » HOW TO LOAD DAT FILE IN PACK FILE

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
HOW TO LOAD DAT FILE IN PACK FILE
tibgamer
Member #6,859
February 2006

Hi guys..

I have been trying to load dat file in a pack file...but i couldn't able to do it..though..after much fiddling..i could able to load a bitmap in packfile..so..could you guys..please tell me how to load dat file in a packfile..

2#include <allegro.h>
4PACKFILE *pf;
5BITMAP *bmp;
7void set_graphic();
8void make_memory();
9void load_file_pf();
10void load_pf_bmp();
11void show_bmp();
12void free_memory();
14int main(int argc, char *argv[])
15{
16 allegro_init();
17 install_keyboard();
19 set_graphic();
21 make_memory();
23 load_file_pf();
25 load_pf_bmp();
27 show_bmp();
29 free_memory();
31 return 0;
32}
33END_OF_MAIN()
35void set_graphic()
36{
37 set_color_depth(32);
38 set_gfx_mode(GFX_AUTODETECT_WINDOWED, 640, 480, 0, 0);
40}
42void make_memory()
43{
44 bmp = create_bitmap(SCREEN_W, SCREEN_H);
45 clear(bmp);
46}
48void load_file_pf()
49{
50 pf = pack_fopen ("frog.bmp", F_READ);
51 if(!pf) {
52 allegro_message("could not read bitmap file!");
53 exit(1);
54 }
55}
57void load_pf_bmp()
58{
59 bmp = load_bmp_pf(pf, NULL);
60 if(!bmp) {
61 allegro_message("Error in loading pf into bmp!");
62 exit(2);
63 }
64}
66void show_bmp()
67{
68 vsync();
69 blit(bmp, screen, 0, 0, 100, 100, SCREEN_W, SCREEN_H);
70 readkey();
71}
73void free_memory()
74{
75 pack_fclose(pf);
76 destroy_bitmap(bmp);
77}

software is not written, it is rewritten

umperio
Member #3,474
April 2003

You could simply put the bitmap in a datafile and use global compression.

Regards

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

You seriously need to read the manual. It looks like you have no idea what you're talking about. I have neither but if I made a wild guess, I'd say you're looking for this function: DATAFILE *load_datafile_object(const char *filename, const char *objectname);
You use it like this (probably):

DATAFILE *object = load_datafile_object("datafile.dat", "MYBITMAP");
if (object != 0) {
    BITMAP *bmp = (BITMAP *)object->dat;
}

Of course I could be wrong and this is not what you're asking about. It's hard to tell from your post...

--
sig used to be here

tibgamer
Member #6,859
February 2006

hi guys..

i already know how to put bitmap into dat file and know how to load object of dat file...but only thing i am looking for is some specific PACKFILE routines from where you can load dat file and blit it. For example..in my code i used:

pf = pack_fopen ("frog.bmp", F_READ);

which i guess..reads a bitmap file from disk and puts it into compressed packfile..rite..so..like that..i am looking for packfile routine..which loads a datfile...assuming..there must be a PACKFILE routine for such thing...!

Miran:

i guess.urs code only loads object of datfile and puts it into bmp..and then blit it..rite...so there is no mention of any PACKFILE routines...hope you guys know what i am looking for in particular....

Regards

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Quote:

hope you guys know what i am looking for in particular....

No.

But why is load_bitmap() not good enough for you?

EDIT: Or you could use BITMAP *load_bmp_pf(PACKFILE *f, RGB *pal);

When I said you seriously need to read the manual, I was serious. This is all in there.

--
sig used to be here

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

EDIT: Or you could use
BITMAP *load_bmp_pf(PACKFILE *f, RGB *pal);

He does. He's asking for something similar for datafiles.

The answer is, there's no need. pack_fopen doesn't load the file into memory. It buffers a small bit of the file (about 4K) for slightly quicker access, but it's still read from disk as-needed. Given your code, there's no reason not to use load_bitmap, or load_datafile[_object].

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

tibgamer
Member #6,859
February 2006

Quote:

When I said you seriously need to read the manual, I was serious. This is all in there.

i have been reading manual very carefully...Before coming here..i always..reads manual...n..if i couldn't able to understand it..then i come here for you guys help..

load_bitmap()
it is good enough for me...however..i just wanted to learn PACKFILE concept..so..i wrote the code to load bitmap using PACKFILE..and when i tried to load datfile using PACKFILE...i am finding hard to find any PACKFILE ROUTINE to load datfile...now..it seems like there aren't any PACKFILE ROUTINE to load datfile...disappointed...!

BITMAP *load_bmp_pf(PACKFILE *f, RGB *pal);

i already used it in my first post...you can find it in the function
void load_pf_bmp() in my code...

thanks anyway....

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Ah, now I get it. Well, the load_datafile() function as far as I know internally uses the packfile routines, so what you're looking for wouldn't really make much sense.

--
sig used to be here

umperio
Member #3,474
April 2003

Quote:

and when i tried to load datfile using PACKFILE...i am finding hard to find any PACKFILE ROUTINE to load datfile...now..it seems like there aren't any PACKFILE ROUTINE to load datfile...disappointed...!

Because, again, there's no need for them, if you need a compressed datafile, just create a compressed one with grabber and load it normally with load_datafile.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Do you understand what a packfile really is? Basically, it's just a plain vanilla libc FILE*, with a few extra features:
- PACKFILE supports endian-safe reading across all supported platforms. Using pack_mgetw() for example will correctly load a Motorola-aligned short from the same file on all platforms.
- PACKFILE supports compressed file i/o, using a special "magic" byte sequence at the start of a file, and the appropriate flag when opening a file. After opening a compressed file, the PACKFILE* pointer will behave like a normal one, except that the data is compressed on disk.

A DATAFILE is allegro's implementation of a resource file. It is organized in chunks, each of which can hold an object of various types. The datafile routines internally use the packfile API for i/o, but you don't need to know this.

So for all datafiles (files that you created using grabber or dat), use the datafile api. For all other files, use the packfile api.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Go to: