Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » We Lost The Beat - Tins 2021

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
We Lost The Beat - Tins 2021
MrKuros
Member #20,688
August 2021

Hi all,

This is my entry for the TINS 2021 gamejam: https://tins.amarillion.org/entry/234/

This was my first gamejam, and I liked it a lot. I didn't know what to expect, so I went in 100%. Arranged babysitters for my 5 month old son, prepared my office as a game development work station, bought enough food and liquids to last me for a week, and had enough aspirins to sedate an entire stable of horses.

Started out Friday 14:00 exactly, and my submission was on Monday at 13:55. I did have to go home to sleep every night :)

I love oldschool point and click adventures for their stories, humor, puzzles, dialogues, setting. But there aren't a lot of those these days with the exception of Thimbleweed Park. When I played that game I realized point and click and especially "pixel hunting" for clues and interactable objects is outdated, not of this time. Also, after a long workday I just want to hang on my couch and play games with a controller on the big screen. Point and click with an analog stick is not a great experience.

So I wanted to use this gamejam to make a sort of Proof of Concept. I wanted to create gameplay mechanics that work well with controller (Xbox 360 controller is supported) and keyboard, and use the old school adventure concepts in a way that is more of this time. For this I spent most of the time making the gameplay mechanics, and making them feel well.

Because of the time limitations I knew I wasn't able to make that much content for the mechanics. So with the content I did create, I experimented with the mechanics in different ways. For instance the starting area (Richie's apartment) plays differently than the rest of the game.

I think there is a lot more to explore in this direction. But I would like to hear what you think about it. Questions like:
- Did you like playing this game?
- Would you be interested in an iterated full game? With iterated I mean, every round of development will lead to somewhere new. It would be a missed opportunity as a gamedev to not follow this flow and stubbornly stick with the original plan.
- Do you think there is a market for reinvented "oldschool" adventure games?

Thanks for this awesome gamejam!

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I don't have time to play anything, but I love the fact you used this to make a proof of concept.

Go, promote your game to other sites if you haven't already. If there's interest in a game like this, I'm sure you'll find it outside these forums.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

{"name":"613021","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/e\/7ef6e570c1b7e04a81bd9875b5c436e8.png","w":2562,"h":1438,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/e\/7ef6e570c1b7e04a81bd9875b5c436e8"}613021

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Congrats on first gamejam! Game looks interesting. :)

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

MrKuros
Member #20,688
August 2021

Thanks! And @LennyLen cool that you played it!

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Hey Kuros

Nice entry. I played quite a bit and I still haven't discovered everything.
How many beats are there to find? And when it scores your beat, what is a good score?

Seeing most people went for tiling patterns, I think this is the only one that's inspired by this one particular work of Escher.

MrKuros
Member #20,688
August 2021

@amarillion thanks for playing my game! Cool that you found the Escher artwork I was referring to.

There are 15 beatsamples. One of them is hidden away together with an Easter Egg to one of my favourite games :)

I also made a NodeJS API endpoint on a free tier google cloud server for a small leaderboard. So when a beat had been made, you would've been able to post your score there, and see the results of the other players. That way a good score would be the score higher than the current highscore. This part was allllmost done. But I wasn't able to finish it on time.

Use this for score reference :)
0-5000 = Nice try!
5000-8000 = Nice!
8000-10000 = Good!
10000-14500 = Epic!
14500 and above = Godlike!

Progress gets saved. So if you've collected some cool beatsamples, you can just quit the game and continue later.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Really impressed with how much you got done in such a short time. I really like the idea, and some of the effects are very cool, lighting and shadows etc. Worked really well, and a nice original idea. I managed 13240 on my first play, so will definitely go back for a full score! Nice work.

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

By the way, is that a "redrum carpet"? That's a nice touch! :D

MrKuros said:

I think there is a lot more to explore in this direction. But I would like to hear what you think about it. Questions like:
- Did you like playing this game?
- Would you be interested in an iterated full game? With iterated I mean, every round of development will lead to somewhere new. It would be a missed opportunity as a gamedev to not follow this flow and stubbornly stick with the original plan.
- Do you think there is a market for reinvented "oldschool" adventure games?

Speaking for myself, I think game jams are a fun way to try out ideas and exercise your creative muscles, but you really should stick to your original plan if you want to make something big.

I don't want to worry so much about whether there is a market for a particular game, I just want to make something that I think is fun or interesting, and then see how I can sell it. Otherwise I should probably be making freemium mobile games.

MrKuros
Member #20,688
August 2021

@Dizzy Egg thanks for playing and your review! Cool that you got such a high score. You're almost at the max score :)

@amarillion It's definately a Redrum carpet together with another small The Shining easter egg. The carpet shapes are almost hexagons, so couldn't go wrong on that one.

With sticking to the original plan, do you mean with this project or in general with game ideas.

Go to: