Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » A Day in the Life of Judd - A game inspired by Splatoon's turf-judging cat

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
A Day in the Life of Judd - A game inspired by Splatoon's turf-judging cat
André Silva
Member #11,991
May 2010

For those that aren't familiar with Splatoon, it's a shooter game where you shoot ink. Your goal is to cover turf for your team using said ink. When the match is over, a cat called Judd analyses the arena and decides which team got the most turf, and by how much.
A month or so ago, I realized that I could grab the idea of deciding exact coverage percentages and turn it into a game. It'd be something super-quick, too. My one-week-of-development plan failed, especially when I kept coming up with more and more ideas, but I still finished it in around a month, which I'm very pleased with.
It's small and it's simple, but it's charming. And it's all done with Allegro, of course!

Let me know what you think!

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I tried it on Linux, compiling it from source. One thing you should change in your file is to drop the .0 from your pkg-config names, i.e. it should be pkg-config --libs allegro-5 etc. With that it compiled and ran fine with Allegro 5.2.

I liked the presentation and the gameplay. It felt very polished. I feel like the game yearns for something that's faster paced. I found that I wanted to go through the stage. quickly, but the (admittedly cute) animations and the score screen seemed like they added unnecessary pauses. It'd be kind of neat if you would be scored on time taken, and you'd just need one click to complete a stage. Of course that'd be a different gameplay, but that just felt like a natural extension.

This would be a nice mobile game if you were willing to divorce yourself from the splatoon reference.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

André Silva
Member #11,991
May 2010

Thanks! If I remove the .0 from the pkg-config, I'll be unable to compile on all of the machines I tried. I'm assuming this is because I'm still stuck in the past and using Allegro 5.0.10 instead of 5.2.

I'm glad you commented on the polish and details, since I was curious about how people felt about it. I feel like I added an appropriate amount of detail for the development time. Funny thing about the results resolution is that I already knew, before coding began, that I'd need to add a way for them to be skipped. Sure enough, if you click any mouse button at any point after you click the OK button, you can skip straight away to the results. But now I'm wondering what I could've done to make that more obvious.

I've also thought about a "blitz" mode where you're scored based on how many stages you complete in a minute, as well as your accuracy. But hey, maybe for another version, right?

And insane as this may sound, I actually never considered turning this into a mobile game. It'll definitely be something I'll want to pursue in the future. ...After I carefully optimize the loading and "match" generation process. Once again, thank you very much for the feedback! :D

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

If I remove the .0 from the pkg-config, I'll be unable to compile on all of the machines I tried.

Allegro since 5.0.8 should be installing both the -5.0 and -5 versions, it's weird that it doesn't work for you. Oh well, no big deal.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Go to: