Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » science promoting (edu) game

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
science promoting (edu) game
Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

Some years ago, my boss introduced me to a foundation that wanted to launch a game to promote science (Math, Chemistry, Physics etc). Since that wasn't a core business of the company I was working for, they passed it to me.
Unfortunately it didn't come to an actual game due to differences of insight and know how.
Making toothpaste isn't gonna impress any kids.

My idea was to make a space race game, where you could make teams that would do simulated experiments and build a space ship. Competing with other teams over a network or internet. With different client modules hooking up to a server that would control the outcome of experiments and calculations, and the process of building a space ship.

I think you'll get the idea..

I was wondering if it would be worthwile to restart this at some time. It is however much too big for one man to do....

Any ideas ?

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

David Couzelis
Member #10,079
August 2008

Well, I'm not going to say you SHOULDN'T make that game because, you know, the more games the merrier. :)

...BUT, in my opinion, the best "game" to support science and critical thinking would be... programming a game. Just give a kid an introduction to programming and the Allegro library and let them go to town. :D

gillius
Member #119
April 2000

I agree with that if you are trying to teach programming, but this sounds like a game to teach non-programming science topics.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. You could develop such a game and it could be a good idea. Depending on how in-depth you wanted to get, there could be existing games are are already educational enough (I haven't played Kerbal Space Program but it sounds like this).

If you are just asking about people to do it, hopefully the foundation has money they can use to hire people.

Gillius
Gillius's Programming -- https://gillius.org/

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

That foundation could have had the money years ago. But they pulled the plug. I do know the dutch and belgian gouvernment were willing to finance it at the time.
But they were stubborn and had no imagination.

I'm not trying to teach programming. More like chemistry,
Physics, Math... As a showcase what you could do with it.

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

gillius
Member #119
April 2000

So then it sounds like you are trying to recruit some developers... But I think it is hard to do that when the project is not even defined, and not really started. Sometimes people can be motivated to help if they see something concrete they can do and have the ability to do it. That's one key to an open source community, is that you can access a lot of people where something that is very hard for you is very easy for someone else. But if it's a task that's very hard for everyone (i.e. the hard part of programming), then no one will volunteer for free. That's why the most vibrant OS communities need at least one very dedicated volunteer (working daily on the project) or a paid core to direct the work and do the things no one else "wants" to do, then you leverage the community to help with testing, small bug fixes, defining features, some content, etc.

If you do start such a project and decide to use Allegro and jalleg I can help support the jalleg binding or if you do it in Java or web-side I can help with answering questions as those are the skills I have. Since your team and time are limited, if you really start it, I would prioritize lowest cost of development over anything else.

Gillius
Gillius's Programming -- https://gillius.org/

Go to: