This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Merry Christmas Music
Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

video

Lyrics: Steven Brecken
Music: Johan Halmén

I managed to get two songs on the album. This one turned out pretty well, the other one not that well. They didn't respect my demo very much, but anyhow, it's done and I'm proud of myself. This one got even released as a single.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Sounds nice, Johan! I like it. :) That's no surprise since you're very skilled and talented with music.

Looks like it can be purchased from various sources linked here for everyone interested: http://christmasrevival.co.uk/shop/.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Do you get a % for broadcast royalties?

You could make a buck ($$$) if these get into a regular cycle of air-play.

They didn't respect my demo very much, but anyhow, it's done and I'm proud of myself.

I hear your pain :-X. There's not much you can do about that kind of thing if you're not there, especially when there are so many other interests involved. Like, the artist wants to sound good and everyone gets so focused on that that everything else kinda gets neglected. It's one of the reasons I wanted to be the producer of music, and also a reason I always worked alongside the editor/sound_mixer when my film scores were being laid into the movie.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Actually they asked me at some point to join the team. But it was in a very early stage and I saw the compositions that some of the other composers had done. And I didn't understand anything of it, reading the score. They hadn't done anything to the strange lyrics, which lacked any sense of formality and respect to musical rhythm and symmetry. So the music and lyrics seemed to float in completely different time, with no respect to down and up beats and whatnot. I did a lot of editing of the lyrics to the songs that I was to compose. But now when the record is done and I listen to the other tracks, it seems they managed to create decent music out of them, too. I just couldn't have done it for the other songs. Well, at least not by reading the score. Maybe the composer had a demo of their own, which revealed the true phrasing of the lyrics, something that wasn't possible to write in the score.

They didn't respect my demo very much, but anyhow, it's done and I'm proud of myself.

Here's a post from 2½ years ago with snippets from my demos. The latter one is the Snowman.

You can compare the former snippet, "Jing-a-ling bells ring", with a snippet from the record. For your convenient, here they are.
My demo:
media player
Final version on record:
media player
Not that bad, but I'd have preferred the swing 8ths.

Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Not to detract from the music that went into this, but do you know who the vocalist(s) is? Is the woman in the video the actual vocalist and if so do you know her name?

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

She's seeing someone.

Seriously, I don't know for sure. I have some names and I have found them on Facebook, but we have no contact whatsoever. I guess they were just paid to do this and then they have moved forward, not bothering to spend time on closed projects.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

She might not be a full time artist. I think she's a music teacher or a singing teacher.

Go to: