Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Another cat thread

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Another cat thread
Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Maggis had been away for 4 weeks. I finally found her in the forest. She was on a cheerful mood, despite an ugly cut that she had in the arm pit, caused by a stupid collar that we thought she should wear to show that she has a home somewhere. We took her to the vet, who did some stitches. Now she's on antibiotics. She has chosen to stay inside the whole week, although she seems to long for a new adventure.

Do vets use humangut on cats?

{"name":"609567","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/8\/7853e31c8398151445da76c0b03b0087.jpg","w":2592,"h":1952,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/8\/7853e31c8398151445da76c0b03b0087"}609567

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Bruce Pascoe
Member #15,931
April 2015

How does a cat get cut on the armpit from a collar?

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I think she got her front paw stuck in the collar while scratching her ears or something. Then she got the whole paw through the collar so that the collar ran under her arm pit. Then the buckle of the collar got stuck in the arm pit. The buckle itself is a thin metal plate like thing with sharp edges. There had been some bleeding, but it had stopped. But the cut was so deep there was scar developing on both edges. The vet did some magic, cutting away the scar and stitching everything together. Seems there's no pain at all.

Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I remember my cat would, every couple of years, venture off into the wilderness for weeks at a time. He would usually return in a good mood, sometimes with a nicked ear or new scratch. But he seemed to enjoy it or need it for some reason, as if to fulfill some deep primal urge.

After the second or third time he went off, I worried less and trusted that he would eventually return. And he always did. :)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Bruce Pascoe
Member #15,931
April 2015

Sounds like my sister's cat, except not as bad. She comes in to eat and drink, but otherwise is an outdoor cat. If you don't let her back out she sits there and meows incessantly. We try to keep her in but usually she ends up flying out when the dog is let out...

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Our cat never was away for more than a few days. One time we discovered he had just been lying under a bush right in our garden the entire time. But he had caught a rabbit, then must have eaten all of it - so either he was so exhausted or ate so much that he couldn't move for 3 days :P

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

{"name":"thread_cat.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/3\/53b827d8510aef37a69fa140e3a469cb.jpg","w":444,"h":366,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/3\/53b827d8510aef37a69fa140e3a469cb"}thread_cat.jpg

I wonder if I've posted that before.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

Glad your kitteh has returned! These are mines:

{"name":"609576","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/d\/dd1970005e0e388fe25055706bf7ce66.jpg","w":800,"h":600,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/d\/dd1970005e0e388fe25055706bf7ce66"}609576
{"name":"609575","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/8\/48810a90650c6be5c34d46a3ed720393.jpg","w":1067,"h":600,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/8\/48810a90650c6be5c34d46a3ed720393"}609575

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I had to have my cat "put down" this time last year. Hard to believe it's been a year already. She was well into her 20s in age though and rapidly declining in health. It was probably the most difficult thing I have ever had to do. I still miss her a great deal.

This pic was taken of her in 2009, I had purchased a new CPU and left the box on the table and when I came back into the room this is what was staring back at me. :) (ooo, a box!!!)

{"name":"609591","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/4\/448b874bf1b2d1f5d4962891282a6c84.jpg","w":512,"h":512,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/4\/448b874bf1b2d1f5d4962891282a6c84"}609591

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

We just came back from the vet. Maggis got rid of the stitches and everything looked fine. She seems to be the cool kind of patient. No attempts to scratch or bite or anything, while the vet removed the stitches, just trying to get off my firm grip. And after the last stich, she almost jumped from my arms into her carrying cage. :)

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Glad to hear Johan! I know the feeling.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

Glad your cat is better Johan. Last week I had a scare with one of my own cats, they are both indoor cats but from time to time we take them to a countryside place, this time one of them disappeared for a while too, but since there were many dogs nearby I was nervous... luckily he came back after an hour or two.

Latest pic from my cats (taken last night):

{"name":"609610","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/f\/8f4a0e97f38d5f24fc7d2db860a6c7b9.jpg","w":1600,"h":900,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/f\/8f4a0e97f38d5f24fc7d2db860a6c7b9"}609610

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

{"name":"Fh0TLiX.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/7\/17d39d7eac27ce4f309dba7087db6648.jpg","w":918,"h":1632,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/7\/17d39d7eac27ce4f309dba7087db6648"}Fh0TLiX.jpg

{"name":"W0WaiSX.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/e\/ceed6eddc601bab42343fa40bb491f72.jpg","w":720,"h":540,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/e\/ceed6eddc601bab42343fa40bb491f72"}W0WaiSX.jpg

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

video

--
The brxybrytl has you.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

There's never been a cat thread when I've had a cat. :-/ Until now. It's almost 1 year old and it's a terror.

{"name":"MuPlgfj.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/f\/5f8e83b74246ed6b87ca77886f2ff572.jpg","w":5312,"h":2988,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/f\/5f8e83b74246ed6b87ca77886f2ff572"}MuPlgfj.jpg

Don't let his cuteness fool you when he's sleeping. When he's awake he's usually trying to bite your ankles, head, or arms; steal your chair, spam your keyboard, and climb on your computer hardware... >:(

If you don't have a cat then you don't know what you're missing. Keep it that way.

Perhaps this would be a good place to ask about cat food though. The brand recommended by the shelter, store, and vet is expensive and from what I could gather sucks anyway. So I did a little bit of research and choose a different brand that is supposed to have better quality ingredients for basically the same price... Of course, all of this is much more expensive than the cheap stuff so I could save a lot of money by switching him to that.

He was eating "Royal Canin" dry and wet food. We are in the tail-end of switching him to "Nutrience" dry and wet food. Even though it's supposed to be a good brand, most of the dry food still had pretty terrible looking ingredients. The bag that I happened to buy though looks to be the exception with mostly meat (at least, the first ~5 ingredients appear to be actual meat). The interesting thing is that the Nutrience smells much less appealing to me, a human, than the Royal Canin does, which makes me wonder if cat food producers artificially flavor it to appeal to humans instead of cats. I was actually tempted to try the wet Royal Canin food, and even the dry food was somewhat appealing (though not enough to try it). The Nutrience doesn't smell very good to me, but the cat still seems to like it. He may not be quite sold on the dry food yet, but we just started that transition...

So what do you guys feed your cats and why? Did you ever give it any thought? And do you think the quality of food will have long lasting health effects (good or bad)? Or should I just buy the $8/10 kg stuff because he's going to get cancer and cost me $2000 on chemo get shot in a bush either way? ::)

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Awwww... I like bamcat... what's his name? (Continues staring at cute sleeping cat and therefore can't read the rest of the post...)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Carnivores don't just "eat meat" (muscle tissue). They eat the guts and other innards, too, so processed foods have to have more than just "meat" in them.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Sure, but they don't eat plant matter in the process. Their bodies aren't designed to process that... Or so I've read.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Dogs and cats will eat some grass occasionally, I've seen them do it. I've heard it's to relieve stomach upset.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I've heard it's to relieve stomach upset.

Yes, this. It's to induce vomiting.

bamccaig said:

So what do you guys feed your cats and why?

I only have dogs but the logic is the same. I buy the cheapest dog food I can that has real meat as the primary ingredient. Dogs (and cats) stomachs are absolutely not designed for eating corn as a primary diet. My dogs kept getting sick and I couldn't figure out why. Then I switched to real meat and magically my dogs got better, their fur got shiney, and they were happier and less prone and anger/irritation. It turns out they felt sick so they just wanted to be alone.

Just look at the back of the bag and see the ingredients listing. It's listed in order of by weight. So the top should be meat. Corn is absolutely unacceptable and should be illegal.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

Personally, I don't see a reason for wet food. It's expensive and smelly. Dry food is fine, and toss them a couple slices of lunch meat once in awhile and they'll probably like it better.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Personally, I don't see a reason for wet food. It's expensive and smelly. Dry food is fine, and toss them a couple slices of lunch meat once in awhile and they'll probably like it better.

I don't know if it's true, but the shelter that we got the cat from told us that cats need wet food to supplement their water intake because they don't drink enough. I guess in the wild they'd get most of their hydration from the meat they eat... I don't know if that's true. They said it's especially important for males (Lucky is male) because they're prone to urinary tract infections and somehow the wet food helps to guard against that.

???

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

bamccaig said:

I don't know if it's true, but the shelter that we got the cat from told us that cats need wet food to supplement their water intake because they don't drink enough.

So long as you provide water for your cat, it will drink it.

Do be prepared to be frustrated though when you continually leave fresh water for your cat yet it still prefers to drink out of puddles, toilets, and any other source of water.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Bamccaig said:

When he's awake he's usually trying to bite your ankles, head, or arms; steal your chair, spam your keyboard, and climb on your computer hardware... >:(

Play with him? He probably just wants attention. Does he damage furniture?

Corn is absolutely unacceptable and should be illegal.

Probably true, but a former roommate's cat loved corn. My mother had a cat that weighed 14 lbs (7 kgs?). Then she stopped eating and dropped half her weight. I tried dry food, then wet but she did not seem to like either. I mixed the two and maybe a week or two later she was fat and happy again.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Bob Keane said:

Play with him? He probably just wants attention.

I think it's more likely that bambams was just (un)lucky. Cats' personalities vary enormously. There are some that seek attention without biting or scratching, plenty that really don't seem to want attention (pointless to have in my opinion), and some that are just vicious. My mum and I were lucky enough to have the first kind for a while, about 15 years ago.

Actually one of ours was a bit independent until she got a claw caught in the trellis and I stroked her for a few hours while she was drained of energy. After that, she loved attention. It was early in their life - we had them as kittens.

--
The brxybrytl has you.

1   2 

Go to: