Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Getting a better job

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Getting a better job
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Where do you search? What websites?

In my area, there's almost nothing.

I'd like a job doing C or C++ in a professional environment, but it seems like everyone is either Java or C#. Everyone has huge lists of strange acronyms and standards.

I found a single one that made any mention of higher-order programming like design patterns:

http://www.bullhornreach.com/job/1963695_c-stl-developer-nashville-tn?utm_source=indeed.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=job&utm_campaign=indeed

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

Knowing people at other companies is probably your best bet. But absent of that, Stack Overflow Careers might be a good place to start.

Edit: Or if you want a game industry job (you didn't say you were looking for one, but hey, this is a game development board even if I'm the only one in the industry around here ;)), check out Gamasutra's job listings.

Edit 2: I just looked at Nashville on Stack Overflow... looking for remote work might be the way to go if you're not open to relocating.

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

You could make your self a linked-in so the scouts will hunt you out on there.

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I haven't made the move yet, but my advice is to get involved in an open source community and begin to network a bit. I managed to get a few flights out of town and interviews, and even a job offer, just from coincidence and meeting people. The job offer wasn't lucrative enough to go for it.

I would not count on a C or C++ job. For the most part, those jobs are very specialized. Either you need to be really experienced or the job will suck anyway. You may get lucky and find a decent place that will accept you and let you code in C or C++. For the most part, I suggest focusing on learning higher-level languages. Python, Perl, Ruby, etc. Even Java or C# have advantages and disadvantages. You don't want to put all of your chips in the same stack language/platform wise. And the more languages you learn the more you will open your mind to new things.

I recommend diving into the most elite languages too: Lisps, Haskell, etc. If you can grasp it then it will open your mind, blow it, and make you reconsider your C++ worship. :) I think it's normal for programmers to really like C or C++ to start. It's challenging which is fun. The reality is that C and C++ make the simplest things hard. They still have their place (especially C), but they aren't the preferred language often. Especially in business.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

You don't want to put all of your chips in the same stack language/platform wise.

It's not that... it's just I've always wanted to learn and use C++ in a professional environment from senior developers above me. I've never physically met someone with more c++ knowledge than me--nobody at work even knows what a pattern is. And no, I'm not an expert. They're just so rare in this area. But it seems like that boat has kind of sailed in the tech world.

That being said, there's still plenty of neat embedded jobs running C (and some C++). They're just more than a few states over. (Which I'll explain next.)

StevenVI said:

Edit 2: I just looked at Nashville on Stack Overflow... looking for remote work might be the way to go if you're not open to relocating.

I'm actually okay relocating, I'd love to try Colorado. But I can't relocate yet. My wife needs to finish her degree and my health still sucks. I've got an appointment on the 17th with my original surgeon to see what the problem is.

The only thing good about my job is the healthcare is "good" (not great, but good.) The pay is terrible, there are no senior developers to ask for help or advice, you get all of the risk associated with making decisions but none of the pay or experience.

I've literally been stuck on a single problem for a month because I've read every single document Google has related to it, to no avail. I've told my boss numerous times and it's taken him a month to bother forwarding my request for help up the chain to our umbrella company. Basicially, if it costs money, he doesn't give a shit. And paying for someone above me to help isn't in the cards. Which is also the reason I have to do all my work on a refurbished cheap-as-he-can-find laptop, which is falling apart and has only one good hinge left so the screen sits at an angle.*

(*Which reminds me, the screen is so poor the viewing angle is essentially 0 degrees. If you look at the middle of the screen, the top and bottom are now miscolored because you're out of the viewing angle)

Meanwhile, the "Demo laptop" with Dynamics CRM, I took the best laptop available in the building and put windows server, sql, nav, crm, and a crm/nav database syncronizing tool. It had 4 GB of RAM. That did not work out well. So I had to steal the ram from another laptop. The point being, none of the computers onsite are powerful enough to run the software we're supposed to be selling to clients. :(

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Hardware companies generally use C/C++ for simulators, tools, drivers, etc.

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Bob said:

Hardware companies generally use C/C++ for simulators, tools, drivers, etc.

Hardware companies are notoriously bad at writing good software though.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Go join Google, they use C++ a lot 8-).

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

Hardware companies

Yeah, I was looking into that.

Hardware companies are notoriously bad at writing good software though.

I don't know, there's lots of firmware that you never hear about breaking, like most (though not all!) hard drive firmware.

-----sig:

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I don't know, there's lots of firmware that you never hear about breaking, like most (though not all!) hard drive firmware.

Used to be quite simple, but they have to test that stuff to extreme ends or people sue them for data loss. Except maybe seagate ::) they like to release bad firmware.

But no, if you talk to operating system developers they'll often tell you that hw manufacturers are really bad and should feel bad. They end up having to work around so many bugs in firmware that they tend to prefer just bypassing the firmware when possible.

Like with motherboard BIOSs. Linux explicitly went out of its way to not use the BIOS for anything, because it was usually broken. These days you have more complex stuff like UEFI which you can't completely bypass which causes even more issues :(

Then theres add-in cards with an embedded processor running its own OS that is quite buggy, with no way to update or fix.

Then theres drivers... *shudder*

Basically, what I've learned is that hw manufacturers only care enough about software to get their device out on time, and just barely working under windows. After that, they really don't give a rats ass. bugs? most don't give a crap, and ones that do, stop supporting devices rather quickly.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Go to: