Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Initial Website Finished! Check it out!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Initial Website Finished! Check it out!
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to share my new website with everyone! I completed all the different pages for each of my different programs, complete with screenshots, descriptions, and downloads. Please take a look and tell me what you think! What can I improve, what is good already, etc....

Thanks a ton!!!

http://members.allegro.cc/EdgarReynaldo/index.html

{"name":"610305","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/a\/5a28e696b043ac18d2e50a76827dab30.png","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/a\/5a28e696b043ac18d2e50a76827dab30"}610305

Striker
Member #10,701
February 2009

Eagle Demo and everything works here on Win10. 8-)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Looks nice. Good job. I'd recommend switching to the HTML5 standard (not the resource hogging JavaScript, just the HTML dialect). Also, run it through the W3C validator and fix any errors it finds. These things aren't strictly necessary, but should be pretty easy to fix and you'll be able to stick a shiny image on your site saying it's standards compliant which some in the software community will appreciate.

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

I was going to mention about the pages looking overtly "texty" but I didn't want to add unnecessary criticism, but you seem to have done a successful implementation of al_read_user_mind so I needn't say anything. ;)

www.justanotherturn.com

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I suggest... bootstrap!!! (attached)

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Derezo said:

I suggest... bootstrap!!! (attached)

That's actually quite pleasing to look at. I don't want to just steal it though. It's not quite my style color wise, but still, it looks pretty good.

Yodhe23 said:

I was going to mention about the pages looking overtly "texty" but I didn't want to add unnecessary criticism, but you seem to have done a successful implementation of al_read_user_mind so I needn't say anything. ;)

Too much text? I tried to be as succinct as possible. That's very hard for me though. I am a very verbose person ( I talk too much :P ).

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Too many words are better than too few words. Too few words and they'll have on idea what your Web site is or what they can expect to find there. Too many words and they can choose to ignore most of them and skim or search the page. But really you don't have too many words anyway... That's only 1% of the words I would use. :P

Striker
Member #10,701
February 2009

But where is te sourcecode, Edgar? I remember some time ago i have downloaded another version of eagle with code. And then i would want a demo program demonstrating the usage of child windows from the menu, Truetype fonts, support for different languages (english and german at least), drawing area and horoscope diagram. 8-)

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Yodhe23 was talking about the design of the site. When you first posted it, as you didn't have any CSS, it looked like something that was made for Lynx/Links/<text browser of choice>

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

There's nothing wrong with that. >:( "Texty" basically is code for "book like". In other words, made for communicating information efficiently, instead of wasting time. >:(

Striker
Member #10,701
February 2009

Pictures are eye-catchers. Best a beautiful girl. Or Edgar in underwear.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

A picture's worth a thousand words.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

That's actually quite pleasing to look at. I don't want to just steal it though. It's not quite my style color wise, but still, it looks pretty good.

All I really did was include a CSS template from over here -- just pick the one you want. It adds a lot of finesse to a site without really doing... anything! ;D

I also changed your "intro" div's class to "container" and did a little bit around your 7zip link to make it a pretty button.

You can learn how to do more with bootstrap at getbootstrap.com. You can use just small pieces of it, like buttons, without really changing much but adding classes or attributes to your existing elements.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Looking good Edgar.

If it were me, I would throw in maybe some small images, screen shots of your work perhaps. Your games, Eagle etc... maybe boot up GIMP and make some nice Download buttons to throw under the images of your software. I used some old mouse over HTML (old HTML) to animate my Download buttons on my page.

Maybe take some large fancy text and create a nice title for it.

Create your page like you do a game. Have a title, a menu with selections to go to different areas, like different pages for different things you have created, a CONTACT ME button etc...

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Don't use GIMP to make a download button, use CSS. (Actually, Derezo's mockup shows how to to it)

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Stryker said:

But where is te sourcecode, Edgar? I remember some time ago i have downloaded another version of eagle with code. And then i would want a demo program demonstrating the usage of child windows from the menu, Truetype fonts, support for different languages (english and german at least), drawing area and horoscope diagram. 8-)

The source code for Eagle 4 and 5 is on Sourceforge. Didn't you see the giant "EAGLE - Edgar's Agile Gui Library and Extensions" link? There is no documentation though. I would have to give you a tutorial. There aren't very many widgets for Eagle 5 yet, I just haven't had time to work on it for a while. In Eagle 4, Menu objects nest automatically, as a menu can hold a menu as a menu item. TTF is not supported by my libs, except in Eagle 5, where Allegro 5 supports it natively. Language support is also provided by Allegro 5. Not sure what you mean by drawing area, and you'll have to make your own horoscope.

A picture's worth a thousand words.

Didn't you click on any of the links to the demos? Every single one has a screenie or three.

Neil Roy said:

Looking good Edgar.

If it were me, I would throw in maybe some small images, screen shots of your work perhaps. Your games, Eagle etc... maybe boot up GIMP and make some nice Download buttons to throw under the images of your software. I used some old mouse over HTML (old HTML) to animate my Download buttons on my page.

See my comment to Mark. I didn't include any images on the landing page because I didn't want to clutter it with tiny thumbnails that don't show enough detail. I'd rather they went to each page to see the images. I may make a menu bar, and button graphics.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I am looking forward to Spiraloids 2 and studying the source if possible.

bamccaig said:

Too many words are better than too few words.

... Nobody's going to grab this one? ;)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

The coffee shop IT Admin doesn't like your website. :P

{"name":"610311","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/0\/902676a175fd1145510d0d825045a971.png","w":630,"h":447,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/0\/902676a175fd1145510d0d825045a971"}610311

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I am looking forward to Spiraloids 2 and studying the source if possible.

I've been putting some work into lately, and it's getting along nicely. Doesn't have near as many of the features of Spiraloid 1 yet though. It also handles a bit differently because of the event system. Here's a preliminary screenie :
{"name":"610313","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/8\/388ad67b652fb944713022e7c9a2ca9c.png","w":960,"h":540,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/8\/388ad67b652fb944713022e7c9a2ca9c"}610313

I can share the source with anyone interested, but it still has a long way to go. It's about 100X cleaner and more organized than the last version though. OOP all the way baby. ;)

I added styling to all my webpages and rearranged the contents. Screenshots now float to the right with text on the left. Made the content area a white div with black borders and black text. Put the title in big black bold letters outside the content pane in the upper left corner. What do you guys think?

{"name":"610314","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/4\/740d99d5cf6f30cee08ddd6fd0cdff6f.png","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/4\/740d99d5cf6f30cee08ddd6fd0cdff6f"}610314

Right now each page has its own CSS styling. I'm going to move it all into an external stylesheet so I can redo my whole website on a moments notice. XD

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Go to: