Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » SpeedHack 2014 is this weekend!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
SpeedHack 2014 is this weekend!
Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Just a reminder, SpeedHack 2014 is this weekend, starting Friday noon UTC and ending Monday noon UTC. If you plan accordingly, you should be able to get two good days of coding in without losing any sleep. >:(

http://speedhack.allegro.cc/

The site and registration will open later tonight.

In the meantime, you can add fresh rules to the Rule-O-Matic and rate the existing ones.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Can't wait. Hopefully I'll be able to finish something for the first time.

Love the nostalgic feeling I get when I visit the Speedhack site. Sweet 11. 8-)

In capitalist America bank robs you.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I have to warm up my framework :p

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Have to miss this weekend. Too many distractions I can predict will take away too much coding time.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

I could enter and spend the first 20 hours making a workable framework from one of my half finished projects, but there's neuro-hop to be produced!

So....no, I wont be in. Not nuff skillz ::)

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Why is everyone so obsessed with making frameworks for speedhack? What ever happened to just making a game in 72 hours? ???

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I'm thinking about a framework because I hope to actually make a game. ;) I don't want to spend too much time working on the logistics of the code structure which I tend to over-obsess about.

The code for Green Grappler was so purdy and clean, it made me jealous. >:(

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I'll finish setting things up tomorrow.

Please add new rules and check back once a day to give a thumbs up/down to the ones other people have added.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

BAF said:

What ever happened to just making a game in 72 hours?

It grew up and started working 60 hours a week.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Screw it.

I have no qualifications. I've never entered a SpeedHack nor a TINS nor any other such programming event. I am also unfamiliar with the A5 API and have yet to even install it on my current machine. On top of all this, I start a new job next week.

... In other words, COUNT ME IN. All you pansies should sign up, too. Hell, if so much as "Hello World" comes out of this competition for me, it'll be a damn miracle... so what's your excuse???

This will be a SpeedHack for the ages.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Sod it...I'm in, I'll have a good go! :D

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

That's the spirit!

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

so what's your excuse???

Well, first of all I work Sunday (and I have classes to go to as well), then there's the homework for Sunday...

I think I'll still sign up, but will be very likely not to submit anything. If I'll have a really cool idea maybe I'll prototype it some other weekend in 48h :)

Gassa
Member #5,298
December 2004

Is there an announcement with the exact dates and times anywhere? Seems there's none, neither on allegro.cc nor on Speedhack's dedicated site. How will people learn of the competition before it actually starts, then? Only few read the forums, you know.

Also, announcing just a day or two before the competition starts doesn't sound right. Was it ever this way? With TINS, the announcement usually came a few weeks before actual competition if I remember correctly.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

There have been several threads about it. There is a count down on the site. If people miss it then they will be able to enjoy a weekend at the park.

But even when people know the exact date a month in advance they still drop out because they had to go to the grocery store and buy cat food.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

BAF said:

Why is everyone so obsessed with making frameworks for speedhack? What ever happened to just making a game in 72 hours? ???

Personally, I get a little bit more enjoyment out of these things if I don't have to reimplement some basic functionality... that said, I actually had the chance to make a game without a framework for Ludum Dare and it wasn't actually that bad.

This time, though, I just want to also try a new programming technique which definitely does require some prep-work.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Site is updated.

Blogs work now.

TinoR
Member #1,343
May 2001

do we have to use allegro 5? or will any version be ok

thanks!

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

AFAIK, any official version is allowed, though Allegro 5 is encouraged because it's just awesome.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I just added 10 new rules! 8-)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

It must be source compatible with Allegro 4.4.x, Allegro 5.0.x, or the MOST RECENT version of Allegro 5.1.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Are there binaries for the most recent 5.1.x? I'm on 5.1.7. :-/

--

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

God knows I can't compile Allegro 5. :'(

I suppose I could just build with 5.1.7 and pray the code is compatible. :-/

--

Go to: