Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Allegro 5 "marketing" :)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Allegro 5 "marketing" :)
Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Any news on my pizza?

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Striker
Member #10,701
February 2009

Make a song everybody here likes then maybe you get alligatorpizza. ;D

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Quote:

If you start out by showing logo concepts and asking what people like, you’ve already lost.

Damn, that seems to be true. :-/

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

NO SONG! WANT PIZZA!.....PEPPERONI! >:(

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Elias said:

So yes, very useful 4 rules for helping with creating a logo :P

Did you read the article? The title is misleading. Here are the guidelines:

Good

• Does your logo work horizontally?

• Does your logo have both horizontal and vertical options?

• Does your logo work in black and white?

• Does your logo work on both black and white backgrounds without a box around it?

• Can you sketch all non-typography elements in five seconds or less?

• Did you buy the font you used in the logo?

• Do you have less than two fonts?

Bad

• Do you use more than two colors in your logo?

• Do you have more than one shape in addition to the wordmark (text) in your logo?

• Are any shapes in your logo explicit instead of abstract? (i.e. a globe or something else recognizable)

• Did you use any clip art in your logo?

• Is there a photo or complex pattern in your logo?

• Do you have a gradient in your logo?

• Did you use default font kerning?

Striker
Member #10,701
February 2009

I think these rules are good. But a logo shouldn't be too easy like IBM, thats boring. But it should be unique. That goes for the name too.

If you google for Allegro you find hundreds of companies and logos. Restaurants, hotels, music schools and a lot other all over the world.

To me Allegro is a word from classical music. Oldfashioned and boring, excuse me. The opposite what it really is. And an alligator doesn't match to this name. Only because of the first three letters?

For a good marketing campaign there should be another, more unique name and symbol.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Thanks Gideon Weems, it's just what we needed to bring the focus back onto what is important.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

beoran said:

It's not complete yet, and I still need someone else to test if for me though, since wine doesn't emulate force feedback yet, but it's a step forward.

I have an XBox360 controller hooked up to a Win7 machine, though I don't have that much time for testing/coding/debugging, but I could at least give it a shot if you want.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I knew someone put this up :
http://wiki.allegro.cc/index.php?title=Allegro_5_Features

and there's also SiegeLord's feature list draft :
http://wiki.allegro.cc/index.php?title=User_talk:SiegeLord#Welcome_to_Allegro.21

Polybios said:

Also, is there a public todo list for Allegro5?

Here is SiegeLord's unofficial todo list from earlier :
https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/614086/998583#target

Just collecting important links. ;)

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

SiegeLord said:

Thanks Gideon Weems, it's just what we needed to bring the focus back onto what is important.

I know, I know... Just file it away and remember it when the time is right.

I read up a bit on the software Thomas mentioned (BuildBot), and it looks promising. I went through the trouble of familiarizing myself with CMake and SCons a few years ago and walked away disappointed. BuildBot, however, seems to attack the problem with more of a top-down approach (whereas CMake and SCons felt more like beefed up versions of Make).

A number of continuous integration tools exist, but from the user list alone, I'd say BuildBot has a very good chance of fitting the task well.

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

Slartibartfast, unfortunately oit turns out that for Xbox 360 controllers I need to use the xinput api, not the directinput api. I have a directinput drivernow , but not an xinput one. Sou your controller won't work for testing until I implement that too...

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Quote:

I'm not so sure that it's such a good idea for us to push A5 over A4. A4 was relatively popular and so far A5 is really not... Saying don't use A4 is sort of like saying "go use SDL instead, we don't want your kind here." That audience is exactly what the Allegro community was built around. Not the 3D/OpenGL/DirectX crowd... Yes, you don't need to do 3D programming to use Allegro 5, but it seems Allegro 5 is suboptimal for that older style of programming... There's no good reason to throw away A4 when it works quite fine. The A4 API is far from perfect, but so is the A5 API. The A4 API is probably simpler for beginners, and probably just as fast if not faster for the particular style of programming that is attracted to Allegro.

Quote:

As for global variables, Allegro 5 is still full of them (which is related to why I think the API still kind of sucks).

Quote:

And actually I'm interested to hear from people who choose Allegro 4 why they did that and why not Allegro 5. I 'd like to find out what is "wrong" with A5 from their point of view.

Discuss!

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I don't know who that person is, but he is wrong.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

Poly got the quotes in the recent programming question threads, If I am not mistaken the first part is from bambam (you could guess by the poke to globals I think :P )

EDIT: I just posted before finishing :o

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I was kidding about not knowing who it was, it was obvious that it was him. Maybe he should not talk about something he has no idea about? Where's the list of A5 games he wrote?

I don't even want to bother to respond point-by-point to that drivel, it's so utterly and completely wrong that it's as if it's purposeful trolling (and I don't think he's that skilled to pull off something like that, which makes this even more dumbfounding).

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

ActuallI, I think that the fact that the allegro5 API uses (more) global state makes it easier to use in many cases than SDL. In SDL you always have to pass the target texture or display to the drawing function, and pass in a lot of parameters, while in 90% of the cases you draw to the screen and use the same settings as in the beginning anyway. So I like the fact Allegro5 has global state, it makes my life easier in most cases.

I can agree that the API could be improved but if some people don't like the fundamental idea behind it, then I'm afraid there's not much we can do to help them. If there are some API functionss missing that were easier in Allegro 4 though, then I think we need to add them to Allegro 5.

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

SiegeLord said:

I was kidding about not knowing who it was

I utterly fail at sarcam detection :-[

About global state (and macros, singletons, whatever): you know all the bad press it's religion mostly when you understand that ANYTHING in the language can be used for good measure in the right context, and that even then...there WILL be an alternative, thus in the end: so what ?

By the way in Allegro I struggle to perceive 'global state' since it's treated very much like 'current context' to me, and the API specifications are very clear about that (at least in my scratching the surface).

By the way, I AM a beginner and I'm mostly put off by A4 API compared to A5...maybe this is due to me being a part-time C programmer on embedded systems in the past and being grown on Modula-2, VBA, Rexx, etc..., for the most improbable reasons, and that's just me but I thought I'd just put that down to words.

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

So... I want to bring this back to the intro blurb a bit. The last post was by Polybios here: https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/614086/999028#target in response to my draft here: https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/614086/998938#target . Any more comments on that?

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Polybios said:

Maybe simply "speed everywhere"

I'd just say "High performance" - it's enough to mention in the explanation that this is true universally due to the different ports. Both "Portable speed" and "Speed everywhere" would sound strange to me.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

Yes, or just even "Performance" . And where it says "extendability and modularity" , perhaps make it simply "modularity". Like that we have list of 1-word "key words" for Allegro 5.

Go to: