Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Programmer jokes

Credits go to AMCerasoli, Arthur Kalliokoski, Dizzy Egg, Gideon Weems, gnolam, james_lohr, jmasterx, Karadoc ~~, Neil Roy, Neil Walker, OICW, SiegeLord, Sirocco, and Trent Gamblin for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
Programmer jokes
GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Tried to translate it from French:

"There are 10 type of guys in the world who understand binary. Those who, and those who don't".

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Arggghh! There are 10 types of people who understand trinary, those who do, those who don't, and those who've never heard of it.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

"There are 10 type of guys in the world who understand binary. Those who, and those who don't".

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who regularly have sex. ;)

EDIT: Corrected phrasing.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

J-Gamer
Member #12,491
January 2011

Leave the "who understand ...". You are giving away the punchline.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who thought this was a binary joke.

" There are plenty of wonderful ideas in The Bible, but God isn't one of them." - Derezo
"If your body was a business, thought would be like micro-management and emotions would be like macro-management. If you primarily live your life with emotions, then you are prone to error on the details. If you over-think things all the time you tend to lose scope of priorities." - Mark Oates

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

What do you call it when a bunch of programmers rub balloons on their heads and string them together?

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

J-Gamer said:

Leave the "who understand ...". You are giving away the punchline.

Yep, quite right, I've just copied Gulls quote and edited it.

"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

J-Gamer
Member #12,491
January 2011

@Gideon: static string?

" There are plenty of wonderful ideas in The Bible, but God isn't one of them." - Derezo
"If your body was a business, thought would be like micro-management and emotions would be like macro-management. If you primarily live your life with emotions, then you are prone to error on the details. If you over-think things all the time you tend to lose scope of priorities." - Mark Oates

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

There are 10 type of guys in the world who understand binary.
0: Those who do
1: Those who don't

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

There are 10 types of people in the world.
Those who understand binary,
those who don't,
and those who weren't expecting a base 3 joke.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

There are two types of a.cc members. Those who have never completed a game project.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

Derezo: good one. :)

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Johan have my point ^^

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I think Derezo means "11 types of people."

J-Gamer: :D I would have also accepted "static linking." NEXT: Why'd the programmer's arm never heal?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Derezos joke was what I was trying to remember above, and it's correct.

Those who understand binary, (01)
those who don't, (02)
and those who weren't expecting a base 3 joke. (10)

I can't think of why a programmers arm wouldn't heal without Googling.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Ahaha, screw me. I get it now. Somebody finally tells it the right way, and I miss it. :P

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I got tired of waiting about the programmers arm healing, and I couldn't find the answer on Google. :P

Another moldy oldie I was reminded of in Coding Horror:

Why do programmers think OCT 31 and DEC 25 are the same day? The question on the face of it is a bit US centric.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Because OCT31 = DEC25, so Christmas and Hallowen seem like the same day ;)

EDIT: added the spoiler tags.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

You need to specify OCTAL and DECIMAL for these young'uns.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

They ought to know it 8-)

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I wouldn't be surprised if half of the people here don't know what the long forms mean. OCT is pretty obsolete.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

On the other hand I remember few months ago when working on a school software projects, several mates were quite consfused by me using hex constants :)

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

I wouldn't be surprised if half of the people here don't know what the long forms mean. OCT is pretty obsolete.

You better know what octal is if you want to do any PHP or C or C++, because it'll bite you otherwise. Quick, what does this print:

$i = '00000010';
printf("%d\n", $i);

That, and UNIX file permissions.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

The leading 0 without the 'x' is oct, yes, but they'd learn not to do that then, and hardly anybody uses UNIX file permissions.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

The leading 0 without the 'x' is oct, yes, but they'd learn not to do that then, and hardly anybody uses UNIX file permissions.

What if it's user input? What if you're parsing a user-supplied date, and you can't for some reason use a built-in function for that? Example:

// Parses a date in the format DD-MM-YYYY
function parseDate($dateString) {
   list($day, $month, $year) = explode('-', $dateString);
   $day = (int)$day;
   $month = (int)$month;
   $year = (int)$year;
   // expand two-digit years
   if ($year < 50)
       $year += 2000;
   if ($year < 100)
       $year += 1900;
   return new DateTime("$month/$day/$year");