Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » I Don't Know What To Do ... I'm About To Spend $3000 ...

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
I Don't Know What To Do ... I'm About To Spend $3000 ...
type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Spare $100 on an SSD.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Here's what I've thrown together. I'd really appreciate for the more experienced to look it over for oversights on my part.

(I don't think I made any mistakes, but I had to manually copy the descriptions and links so if you notice mistakes point them out...)

The "Grand Total" (presumably before tax, shipping, and perhaps after rebates) is $1,149.92.

Append: The shipping estimate for my postal code brings the total to $1,333.07.

Append: Per TF's (and most other people's) advice:

With the new addition, shipping, and tax, it comes to $1,340.97.

Append: Cooling was neglected so here is a heatsink/fan combo.

This pushes the total (including tax and shipping) to $1,411.57.

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

IIRC GTX 580 got about 2x better performance in all games tested than HD 6850 (and the price is relatively comparable). I might be wrong though.

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Much more reasonable, and a very awesome rig. Good job.

Make sure your motherboard's Hybrid Graphics and the HD 6850 are compatible, otherwise I'd opt to go without onboard video.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Just to rehash what we were/I was saying on IRC:

• You can drop the AS5, that Zalman comes with good thermal compound already

• Might want to check combo deals, sometimes you can pair up mobos with cpus or video cards, sometimes there are power supply deals, etc. You likely have room to come down in price on the PSU (for example, this one saves you $75 between sale and rebate).

• Make sure you install that HSF right. I have the same one, and you'll want it either blowing upwards or to the rear of the case. I don't remember if blowing upwards was a valid configuration, IIRC it was, but it only fit my motherboard blowing to the rear anyway. IIRC, it blows towards the side with 2 heatpipes (away from the side with 1).

I don't know anything about ATi/AMD video cards anymore, I'm more partial to nVidia, so I can't help there. And you already know my opinion as far as getting the 120GB vertex 2 for $70 more.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Wow, so many emotions over a new computer. :o

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Yea bam, that's a lot better. You probably don't even need that much, but it's a lot better than $3100 so I won't complain.

BAF said:

Wow, so many emotions over a new computer. :o

Ah, camaaahn.... you know the feeling. ;)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

bamccaig said:

Append: The shipping estimate for my postal code brings the total to $1,333.07.

Clearly, you need to add $3.93 worth of items.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

gnolam said:

Find a way to make this happen.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Hard Rock
Member #1,547
September 2001

IIRC GTX 580 got about 2x better performance in all games tested than HD 6850 (and the price is relatively comparable). I might be wrong though.

If you call $500 to $175 comparable then sure. ;).

It is way more powerful though.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I just spent $900 on a washer and dryer. 8-)

Don't tell bambam. 8-)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

gnolam said:

This didn't even occur to me. :o Sadly, I think it is too late. I could probably call them up to add to the order (though it wouldn't be easy), but I doubt that I'd be able to find exactly $3.93 worth of things... Maybe if I had the time (and patience) to hack together some Perl to automate it...

I just spent $900 on a washer and dryer. 8-)

Oh, shit...

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

I just spent $900 on a washer and dryer.

I'd spend a decent amount of money on a washing machine, since it pays off to get a good one especially if it's water and/or energy efficient.
I still can't think of a dryer as anything other than a great big waste of money though, both up front and in terms of use. After all, you can dry your cloths for free easily enough...

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Evert said:

After all, you can dry your cloths for free easily enough...

Try that in canada, in the winter.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Try that in canada, in the winter.

Where'd you think I've been living for the past few years? :P
Works even better because the air is so dry.
You don't put it outside, obviously, but back home I wouldn't do that so much either because of rain (although you can work around that with a sheet of plastic, but in winter I usually hung it all in doors anyway).

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

bamccaig said:

This pushes the total (including tax and shipping) to $1,411.57.

CAD or USD?

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Does it matter?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Evert said:

You don't put it outside, obviously, but back home I wouldn't do that so much either because of rain (although you can work around that with a sheet of plastic, but in winter I usually hung it all in doors anyway).

Any clothes I ever dried in the air here have gotten stiff and "crusty". Definitely wouldn't want to wear them.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

If it's CAD it's almost 1.5k USD.. (1.47X I'd estimate)

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Any clothes I ever dried in the air here have gotten stiff and "crusty". Definitely wouldn't want to wear them.

Don't know about that, mine have always come out fine. It's true that towels come out of a dryer nice and fluffy though.

type568 said:

If it's CAD it's almost 1.5k USD.. (1.47X I'd estimate)

I had no idea the US dollar had gone down so much! Last time I checked they were about on par.
They're still close though.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Evert said:

I still can't think of a dryer as anything other than a great big waste of money though, both up front and in terms of use. After all, you can dry your cloths for free easily enough...

That's debatable. I'm somebody that doesn't enjoy taking the time to do housework. I do it the bare minimum basically. I hated hanging clothes up to dry when I was living at home. Seriously, who has the time or energy to do it? I wash an average of 3 loads of laundry every week and even in the country with a rather large clothes line it could only fit about 2. It would also take between 2 hours and all day for the load to dry, depending on the weather. It's just far too much hassle, IMHO. I prefer to just dry them. I only wish they wouldn't shrink. >:( Seriously, it's 2011, when is somebody going to discover affordable and environmentally friendly manufacturing processes for comfortable/attractive clothes that don't shrink when machine washed and dried? >:(

type568 said:

CAD or USD?

PayPal says I was charged $1,412.02 CAD. :-/ I can't account for the minor difference, but maybe the actual shipping costs didn't exactly match the estimates or something... Or maybe the original was USD and I paid CAD. I'm not sure, but it's negligible either way... The Web site did mention a possibility for additional charges from local retailers if newegg.ca decides to go through them. It's possible (probable?) I'll be met with a few more charges upon delivery. I'll be sure to update this thread (or start a new one when the system arrives).

Evert said:

Does it matter?

Indeed. I rather like CAD being nearly equivalent to USD, albeit I would have preferred we caught up to them instead of the opposite. :P

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

You have to shake them out a bit. I have to do that with items out of the drier anyway to get them to fold right.

We used to let clothes freeze on the clothesline in N.D. all the time, it took half a day to dry that way, in the summertime they'd dry in half an hour. I wonder if the expansion of the ice wasn't hard on the fibers though.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

bamccaig said:

PayPal says I was charged $1,412.02 CAD.

Look at the details, see if paypal was the one that did the currency conversion, if so, you just got screwed.

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Look at the details, see if paypal was the one that did the currency conversion, if so, you just got screwed.

45 cents worth? :P In any case, there's no mention of any currency conversion from PayPal.

Go to: