Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » I Don't Know What To Do ... I'm About To Spend $3000 ...

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
I Don't Know What To Do ... I'm About To Spend $3000 ...
BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

bamccaig said:

Except that AFAICT hibernation is already disabled... The power settings say hibernate: never.

No, there is a separate area to disable it. "Hibernate: never" just means you've disabled automatic hibernation after a set amount of time.

Quote:

I was never buying the SSD for games. It was purely for start up times. Windows in particular takes a ridiculous amount of time to boot and since I run Linux for everything other than games that matters to me.

Well, you were complaining about not fitting games. And I told you that it's worthwhile to put the games on it as well, it makes them nice and quick too.

I'm not sure how fast Linux can boot off an SSD, but I can be to my desktop in well under 30 seconds with Windows 7 on my SSD. I don't think that's ridiculous.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

BAF said:

I'm not sure how fast Linux can boot off an SSD,

A fresh debian stable, with no X installed will boot in 8 (or fewer) seconds (on two of my machines at least).

Add in kdm or something starting up as well, it goes up to about 10s, then KDE or Gnome starting up take another 10-20s (to get to fully ready, no spinny cursor, apps finished starting, and I have a bunch that preload, so its pretty decent).

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Real men never turn off their desktops unless it's for an update.

Quoted for truth.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I guess I'm not a real man anymore :(

I needed to cut back on costs, so I started by having my desktop auto suspend (str), then I just stopped using it, so it sits off most of the time.

Now my laptop is a different story. its almost always on.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

My machine suspends when not in use as well. I used to leave it up for IM, but between Trillian's continuous client features, my tablet/phone, and the server running an IRC bouncer, there's no reason to have the desktop running 24/7.

I save power by virtue of that, plus the reduced heat load on the A/C all summer.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I turn mine off when I go to work in the summer, lest sudden thunderstorms come along.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Today I woke up to find all of the LEDs off on my case. :o I thought for sure that it had died too and began to wonder if the crashing before was from an unstable power source or something. Turns out the computer was just sleeping. :P

/me usually disables sleeping to prevent crashes and stuff.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Maybe you have to disable sleeping on Linux, but over here on Windows, it works fine. :P

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Go to: