Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Does allegro.cc have a Minecraft server anymore?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Does allegro.cc have a Minecraft server anymore?
CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

What I may have heard was that redstone was 300x300 (Google confirms this as at the least a wide-spread rumor), and took that to mean that 300x300 tiles surrounding the player were "active", and applied that to random monster spawning.

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

It very well could be. I don't know.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I fear a mob trap that's big enough will make the server lag a lot. In conjunction with all the redstone we're using and the carts, we won't be able to login back... :-/

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Yeah, I made another redstone contraption, with music blocks... I hope all my redstone isn't slowing the server.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

At least currently, the only problem the server has is that it needs more RAM and Notch wrote the code. The lag issues come from network bandwidth. I suspect he is doing all of the client network stuff in lockstep, meaning that when I log in and download all of the chunks, none of your actions get processed by the server until it's finished sending all of the chunk data. Just my guess.

{"name":"603131","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/0\/d0c3d7a01fd24d5335a5f62fe2b41a6d.jpg","w":906,"h":639,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/0\/d0c3d7a01fd24d5335a5f62fe2b41a6d"}603131

--

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

It doesn't need more RAM. It will always be pegged because I tell JVM to use no more or less than 1GB. :P

Also, I heard that mob towers don't work worth a shit on SMP.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Super laggy today, it was unbearable.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

And whenever I complain of the software being shitty, everyone jumps up to tell me I'm just hating on notch because he's successful. ::)

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Hey, stop hating on Notch. He has to hand-deliver the level chunks to each client each time they connect. He barely has time to sleep.

--

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

BAF: Minecraft is shitty. Its written in Java, thats the first flaw. :P

In capitalist America bank robs you.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

So the lesson to make money is -- make shitty games?

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

By all means, show me flawless software more complicated than "Hello, World".

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

By all means, show me flawless software more complicated than "Hello, World".

OSX, according to Apple fans.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

So the lesson to make money is -- make shitty games?

As you know, everybody poops.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

I think dumber coders tend to make popular games. Smart coders spend time working on harder and harder problems and make very unpopular games.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

The law of diminishing returns tells us that increased functionality of a game doesn't result in a corresponding increase in sales. Therefore, a given programmer will make more money by putting quantity over quality, e.g. several crappy games vs. one highly polished one.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

I don't think your interpretation of the law of diminishing returns applies. For instance allegro.cc has crap tons of games and a single game, minecraft, makes dramatically more money.

The theory that being dumber will make you more successful, however, I do believe.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I think you're on to something, but I don't think intelligence enters into it the way you might think, or at least I wouldn't use the word "dumb" like they're doing something wrong ...

Analytical coder: plans all his class object relationships, uses appropriate technology, modular design, reuses code, makes it moddable and networked and all that even when he doesn't have to.

Intuitive coder: omg when the monster truck gets hit by the homing missiles the chimpanzee driving should totally shoot out the windshield with his ass on fire screaming AAAAAAAAAAAA

Now, which would you rather play? ;)

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

An analytical coder might reuse code, but reusing code is more suited to the crappy designer, since he can pump several games out using lots of common code, which may not be optimal.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Having multiple games where when the monster truck gets hit by the homing missiles the chimpanzee driving totally shoots out the windshield with his ass on fire screaming AAAAAAAAAAAA is always optimal.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Ben Delacob
Member #6,141
August 2005

The only way I think the crappy aspects of Minecraft have led to its success is the lack of gameplay explanation. It basically necessitated the player to get online (with a web browser) within five minutes. This benefited the community and word-of-mouth viral spread of the game.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

And the blog, can't forget the blog.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

For anyone interested, Yahtzee reviewed Minecraft. Since there are some people out there that don't seem to form an opinion until Yahtzee says so. :P

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Dario ff said:

For anyone interested, Yahtzee reviewed Minecraft [www.escapistmagazine.com]. Since there are some people out there that don't seem to form an opinion until Yahtzee says so.

That was so spot on...

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

GameCreator
Member #2,541
July 2002

That it was. And I did already have that opinion but now that someone publicly agrees with me, I can publicly declare it: Minecraft's a nerdy waste of time.

Now go build your cocks.

Also:
"A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: http://static.allegro.cc/js/prototype.js:817"

Go to: