Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Does allegro.cc have a Minecraft server anymore?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Does allegro.cc have a Minecraft server anymore?
BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I get something that looks like a 16:9 sized window, but it doesn't seem unnatural in the slightest to me.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Its not so bad if you aren't moving about much, but if I'm turning a lot, fairly quickly, I notice severe warping at the edges.

Sadly I can't run fullscreen on my desktop. It seems to think both my monitors are one screen, and maxes across both and then the warping is REALLY bad, and since my desktop is non rectangular, theres a chunk missing on the LCD.

append: I first really started noticing it when I was building my pagoda. Turns out even if I stand still, at the right angle, it looks non square, yet it is perfectly square.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

Today with Dario we laid the tracks for the rollercoaster, and before going to sleep I put a booster so people can ride it. someone972 offered to make an automated mechanism to start it.

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Don't know if it's just me, but I can't get on the server. It's not my fault or notch's fault though, it seems the entire datacenter that the minecraft server is in fell off the face of the planet, I'm getting 80+% packet loss, both pinging our box there as well as their website itself. ::)

At least mcmap.baf.cc is still up. :P

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

<--- can't connect either.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Blargh. I think God tripped over the fiber optic lines running to the data center or something. :P

[edit]
Back up...

someone972
Member #7,719
August 2006

I got a good bit done on automating the coaster. It's still not done yet though, I still have some wiring to do. Don't freak out Dario, it will work great when it's finished ;).

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why. -Unknown
I have recklessly set in motion a chain of events with the potential to so-drastically change the path of my life that I can only find it to be beautifully frightening.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I'll let you do your work redstone engineer! :-*

We still got other rides to do meanwhile. Merry-go-round? Pig-ride? A maze? The possibilities are endless. 8-)

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Does the Nether work in SMP yet?

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Minecraft Rube Goldberg ... awesome. ;D

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Our Rollercoaster in SMP is pretty much done. Some details could be polished here and there, but it's working pretty stable. Video follows!

video

Builders were CursedTyrant, CPhoton, someone972, and me. NeilBlack did some contributions too.

My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Really cool! But all that lightstone... Is the rest legit? How much was hacked in? :P How does the queue work? Is there a counter on the switch?

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I think only the lightstone was spawned in. The rest is legit.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I think only the lightstone was spawned in. The rest is legit.

Pretty much. We can't get those materials since the Nether doesn't work. We only spawn stuff we're completely unable to get. Rest is all legit.

And ask someone972 about the wiring. I don't really have any idea. :D

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Heh, I'm playing all peacefull like, no real problems, slight lag occasionally.. Then dario_ff joins and I get lagged out :( and now it won't connect :(

I suppose though its the minecraft auth thats timing out now..

--

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Notch just sucks. There's no reason the server should lag out with a handful of people. Then again, there's no excuse for requiring a dual-quad core server with 12 GB of ram to support 100 minecraft players either (these are figures I see people quoting).

The VM I gave is already quite generous for the use it sees, IMO. Notch would do perfect working on Firefox. :-X

Anyway, you finally added that booster where I kept getting stuck on the coaster? Cool! ;D

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I worked on my underwater road today. Might finish it up tonight, but I got a bit sore and fried, taking a break from minecraft for a bit ;D

--

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Dario ff said:

Our Rollercoaster in SMP is pretty much done. Some details could be polished here and there, but it's working pretty stable. Video follows!

Excellent choice of music for the video. :) As for the coaster, It's quite impressive to see in game and is a fun ride to boot!

I'm slightly frightened that by the time I get to start a serious operation I'm going to find the ground beneath me riddled with other people's mines and caves that have already been cleaned out...

bamccaig said:

You should be terrified. If you're building anywhere near the settlement then this has already happened.

Actually, I guess I built far enough away... It looks fairly far on the map at least.
My first mine shaft to the bedrock/adminium layer didn't seem to connect to anything, but upon clearing some dirt near the bottom I discovered that I have a connection to the 'Sausage Mines'. It won't be too hard to wall off the Sausage Mines and just dig in a different direction however.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

We need to spread out some more. I'd like to build an advanced subway system, much like the one outlined in the videos below. However, we need a LOT of iron and manpower to build the lines between the stations.

Personally, I would be fine with spawning in the materials to build it ('government sponsored'), but I'm sure a couple people may object to this - we'd have to vote on it. If we're going to bring in community manpower to build a community subway system, we either need to charge taxes, or spawn in materials for use on large projects like this.

video

video

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

I'm gonna vote for spawning in the materials... the project is just too big, and we'll spend a lot of time building it anyway. Gathering all the materials just wouldn't be fun, considering there's usually 2-4 people online.

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I'd want to make it bigger than the example on in that video - it's an awful lot of work for the short distance that his spans, but we could greatly expand the map without having to walk the whole thing.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I vote against spawning it in. You have to ask yourself why you play Minecraft at all? What is there to the game so far? There's no goal. There's no problem or conflict to overcome. It's an open world where you get to shape it as you please. However, if it's just about building interesting things then why are we running around in first-person doing it manually, when you could much more easily do so from a mouse-driven GUI map-builder application? The things that people make are fine and well, but the actual pride comes from building them the hard way. We can get around fine already and a subway network will probably be obsoleted anyway when portals actually start to work.

I find that travelling by boat is pretty efficient, and it probably requires a lot less work to build a waterway, especially considering how much water surrounds us (and how you can generate infinite water without violating game world laws). It seems like making a waterway and filling it with boats is a more feasible transportation system and we wouldn't even need to cheat to do it.

I never enjoy cheating in a game. In Minecraft, cheating is fun to experiment with new things. It isn't fun though to exploit "god" powers to give yourself everything that there is in the world. Once you have everything, there's nothing left to do in Minecraft. Using the operator privileges to get everything just ruins the experience, IMHO.

I sure as fuck won't be paying tax. My vote is to do it the hard way or don't do it at all.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I knew you would say that. Personally, I find it tedious mining enough iron and diamond for tools, let alone for a huge transit system.

I play minecraft for fun. As you said, there is no goal in the game, so I don't see why cheating in materials for everyone's benefit is harmful at all. We can only get around fine because we're packed in so tightly and closely, and as others have already mentioned, our undergrounds are becoming very crowded. I began building quite a bit away, up north, and I can't get there "fine." It takes 3-4 minutes of walking, and is a pain. Building a large transit system would encourage sprawl in the world, and spread everyone out some more.

Traveling by boat is shit. I take it you've never tried to stop a boat and get out of it, without the boat being propelled away from you at a high rate, or having it broken.

I never suggested we should give everyone everything. I suggested spawning in materials to build a large and efficient transit system. Someone has to mine the materials. I don't expect to see you using such a system if you're not willing to contribute and you're speaking against spawning in materials to build it. :P

At any rate, we have three votes already, 2 for yes, 1 for no. Majority vote of the regular players wins.

Go to: