Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » More Minecraft!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
More Minecraft!
Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Yeah, underwater's been done. Still cool though. But I'm waiting for an underlava base. :)

By the way, what was the glitch you mentioned in the video's description?

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

But I'm waiting for an underlava base.

I figure the only way you can do something like that is using buckets? Working with lava seems so hard.

Quote:

By the way, what was the glitch you mentioned in the video's description?

It's kind of easy actually. Dive and put dirt(or any other block) above you(try to search for small pits underwater). An air lock magically appears instead of filling with water. I'll probably use it for clearing more dirt from the walls. It's also very useful for breathing when doing an underwater palace. :P

EDIT: I've been working on a water slide today that goes around my main tower. It's kind of slow though. :(

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Dario ff said:

Dive and put dirt(or any other block) above you(try to search for small pits underwater). An air lock magically appears instead of filling with water.

Do you mean like this?

{"name":"601820","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/c\/1cb13c3e4d0f92dca8e0cc35d3a5acb8.png","w":256,"h":256,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/c\/1cb13c3e4d0f92dca8e0cc35d3a5acb8"}601820

Blue is water, green and brown are dirt, gray is rock.

Erikster
Member #9,510
February 2008

I played the free multiplayer for my first time, and now I'm addicted. :P

Cat! I'm a kitty cat. And I dance dance dance, and I dance dance dance.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Do you mean like this?

I think you can spare the dirt block there. Let me check back.

EDIT: Yep, you can.
{"name":"601821","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/8\/f8c7e2b275b22490fcada07159f6a944.jpg","w":1280,"h":802,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/8\/f8c7e2b275b22490fcada07159f6a944"}601821
If you do that, there's a tiny bit of airspace which you can just go up and breathe. To make a full block of air, just put some dirt, and destroy it. Then done, you've got a little cave space set up.

My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Dario ff said:

I think you can spare the dirt block there.

Ah, that's a consequence of the new finite water system (I think).

It's kind of immersion breaking that stuff never fills up no matter how much water flows into it, but it's better than a single water block flooding the entire map.

ngiacomelli
Member #5,114
October 2004

gnolam said:

Does the guy have a deep aversion to money or something?

Since he seems to be averaging 500 sales every 24 hours, I'd say it's more like an aversion to configuring alternative payment methods.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

he seems to be averaging 500 sales every 24 hours

Yeah, this guy is my indie hero.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Is this real?

Apples

I've only come across two dungeons, neither one recently, so I don't know if this is real or another fake page that just hasn't been cleaned out yet.

Yes, it is real. I found a golden apple in a chest in the first dungeon I encountered. I haven't seen any since (been in about 3 or 4 dungeons since).

Quote:

Speaking of dungeons, I have trouble finding them. Which sucks, because I would totally make a trap under the spawner found in them.

Dungeons are pretty sparse. I used Cartographer to show me where all the mossy cobblestone (used exclusively for dungeon floors) was in my map. Using Cartographer shows that there is usually only 2 to 4 dungeons in a newly generated map... and two of the dungeons I came across had absolutely no connection to the tunnel / cave system.

I've since stopped using Cartographer to find dungeons though, so I don't know if more dungeons are generated with the recent level generator enhancements...

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Dungeons are pretty sparse. I used Cartographer to show me where all the mossy cobblestone (used exclusively for dungeon floors) was in my map.

Cartographer? What is that? Time to run off to Google!

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Cartographer? What is that? Time to run off to Google!

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13134 :D A very useful tool I find for quickly locating the new features in maps. Plus it can make some damn cool isometric renderings of your current map.

In the new update, Notch has added cattle, milk and leather. I can't wait to get a chance to check it out.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Be careful though. Cartographer has the ability to show only particular blocks. That means, if you put the diamond block #, you'll see the lil' dots. It's kind of hard to find diamond normally when you know that you can just use Cartographer. :-[

Anyway, I've been lurking the Minecraft forums for some days, and it's so fun to read them. They're just a great creative community. That "Thomas the Sheep" meme was so... inspiring.

I think my next ambitious project will be a small Obsidian House. I'd like to see the griefers on the future multiplayer trying to break that. [1] ;)

References

1. If anyone can manage to build one as fast as possible

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

A very useful tool I find for quickly locating the new features in maps.

Oh yeah, I've used that tool a bit. I don't know if I did it wrong or what, but I didn't find it useful for anything but surface views. I wasn't even aware of the ability to show specific block types like you did to find the dungeons.

I killed a few cows and got some leather last night. Haven't done anything with it yet. But I like that he's added them in. I can't wait for chickens that drop feathers so I can mass produce arrows.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I killed a few cows and got some leather last night. Haven't done anything with it yet. But I like that he's added them in. I can't wait for chickens that drop feathers so I can mass produce arrows.

That's cool. Chickens are definitely needed. Hunting zombies for feathers not only does not make a lot of sense, but it can turn dangerous. Especially when you toss in another mob like a spider or skeleton.

I'm assuming that cows will follow the same rules as the pigs and sheep when it comes to spawning, which means that there will be no way to have a naturally occurring underground cattle farm :-/ Notch could always add a way to lead animals where you want them I suppose.

Quote:

Oh yeah, I've used that tool a bit. I don't know if I did it wrong or what, but I didn't find it useful for anything but surface views. I wasn't even aware of the ability to show specific block types like you did to find the dungeons.

I do believe the block ID was 48.

Dario ff said:

Be careful though. Cartographer has the ability to show only particular blocks. That means, if you put the diamond block #, you'll see the lil' dots. It's kind of hard to find diamond normally when you know that you can just use Cartographer.

What I used to do was generate a normal surface map, then an ore map. I'd add the ore map to the surface map as a layer in something like Paint.Net or GIMP. I'd select each of the colors for the different ores across the whole image and past that color selection into a new layer. Wash rinse & repeat until every ore has it's own layer. Then I can get rid of the conglomerate ore map layer and just turn the others on and off as I choose. I usually make the background layer (surface map) black and white to make it easier to see the different ores. This takes some of the fun out of the game however, which is why I stopped.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Sorry Samuel, I worded it wrong. What I meant was what you said at the end.

This takes some of the fun out of the game however, which is why I stopped.

Because now that I have Cartographer and looking for Diamond, it's hard to not use it.

I've decided to stop caring much about materials though, all I do in this game is build a lot with the stone I get after my long mining expeditions. I enjoy a lot using different methods for building difficult structures.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Dario ff said:

Sorry Samuel, I worded it wrong. What I meant was what you said at the end.

No, my bad, I see what you were saying there (after rereading). I'm tired, at work, and a little hung-over so my attention and comprehension right now is pretty crappy.

Quote:

I've decided to stop caring much about materials though, all I do in this game is build a lot with the stone I get after my long mining expeditions. I enjoy a lot using different methods for building difficult structures.

Yeah, I only use Cartographer to make isometric maps of my world and even then usually only at the start of each new game so I can get my bearings.

I actually find cobblestone to be in constant short supply simply because I am always using it. I'll usually lay a foundation for a hugely impressive building on the surface, and run out of cobblestone. When I dig tunnels to get more stone, I always wind up coming across a natural cave / tunnel system and I usually spend most of the stone I got from digging making the natural tunnel into a 4 block wide 4 block tall hallway. Not to mention, I still haven't found enough iron that I feel comfortable making the switch from stone to iron tools.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Not to mention, I still haven't found enough iron that I feel comfortable making the switch from stone to iron tools.

Even with three stacks of iron, I'm afraid to use it for mining mere stone. Because usually I'm lucky to get twenty iron, which I use for swords.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Even with three stacks of iron, I'm afraid to use it for mining mere stone. Because usually I'm lucky to get twenty iron, which I use for swords.

I make metal armor and that is about it at the moment. I really want to build up a few stacks of iron and make a rail line between the various segments of my base. The problem is that it never seems feasible with the amount of iron I get... Plus, as the base expands, so too would the rail line...

I really can't wait until survival multiplayer. It will be fun having railways that Maybe with multiple people it will be feasible for everyone to chip in and make a transit system between bases... ;D

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Usually, having as much iron as I do now, I'd make tracks all the way to my mine at the bottom of the map. But this time I got down with ladders instead of stairs, so I have nowhere to place the tracks.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

But this time I got down with ladders instead of stairs, so I have nowhere to place the tracks.

I was pondering the same thing. I think what I will ultimately do is have the tracks spiral downward around the shaft as tightly as possible... Although that would probably require tremendous amounts of iron.

Something like this:

X=Rock/Wall
.=Empty space & ladder
T=Track
TTTTTT
TXXXXT
TX..XT
TXXXXT
TTTTTT

And every so often I would knock out a wall so I can have tunnels coming off the main shaft and still be able to access the railway.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I like how original some people have gotten with it. One that I liked made a bunch of floating islands in a vertical formation, with ladders and waterfalls. Reminded me of the Kingdom of Zeal in Chrono Trigger.

Me, I'm totally making an airship.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Iron seems easier to find now. I went around exploring a few surface caves. In one Minecraft day, much of which was spent walking a bit away from my base, I found twenty-seven iron right near the surface.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

I started up a new world, and yeah, lots more iron this time around. I like the huge trees too, those look great when viewed from a distance.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Lots more mobs spawning now, too. I have to fight off a dozen every morning (not counting the ones that burn up from sunlight). Of course, I build a drowning trap and nothing spawn nears it. :-/

deps
Member #3,858
September 2003

Invite-only multiplayer testing has been done. They were streaming. It looked awesome!
Wish I had an invite. :/

---
Layers are good, all good things have layers, like onions. Good things also stink. - Trezker
I now have a page and a blog!

Go to: