Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » More Minecraft!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
More Minecraft!
Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Of course I don't destroy anything. I keep it in chests in a store room. You never know when you might need it...

I have the same mentality. Of course, I doubt I'll ever meed multiple stacks of saplings. Or two large chests full of dirt.

I've decided that my next base will include a lava spring for garbage disposal.

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

I've decided that my next base will include a lava spring for garbage disposal.

I usually just dig a 2x2x3 pit to throw junk in. The items seem to get removed after some time and/or distance traveled.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Lava is just so much more fulfilling.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I usually just dig a 2x2x3 pit to throw junk in. The items seem to get removed after some time and/or distance traveled.

they don't want to clog memory with all your litter.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

If I ever find the time to play this game in more depth to build a new base (Had to abandon my last base as it was made before the cave update.) I need to remember about the lava trash pit.

I started a map not long after I made this post, and as I was walking, trying to find a good place to set up a base, some part of the ground fell. Didn't know it was sand as the world happened to be snow based.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

A Minecraft thread without screenies? Shame on you, I thought a lot of you must've kicked up some cool bases since the last thread.

EDIT: Or maybe a quick video tour. Here's a good one I found.

video

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Dario ff said:

I thought a lot of you must've kicked up some cool bases since the last thread.

I've restarted a few times. I seem to get to a point where I've got a lot of supplies and ideas for grand constructions, and then I decide to start over again.

I've been doing some neat stuff on the multiplayer servers, though. I made a cool pyramid that is supported by four other pyramids. And a neat maze made out of leaves. And a huge tower with tunnels leading into it.

I do most of my multiplayer on [SZ] Multimap (I don't remember the rest of the name).

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I don't personally have that much of a creative side. At least, creating fancy "bases" doesn't interest me too much. What interests me more is the doing. My bases usually end up being pretty boring. Just dug out holes in the ground, etc. :)

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I have a basic structure for building my bases (now that I have a map I want to play on, I'll try to build on the mini building I have). Maybe once I built something up, I'll do a little video tour of it.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

bamccaig said:

My bases usually end up being pretty boring. Just dug out holes in the ground, etc.

That's how most of mine end up. With a tower or something on top. I posted a video tour of a big castle I made (it's still on my Youtube), that's pretty much the biggest base I've ever built.

For some reason I have a thing for floating island bases and hidden underground bases. Am I secretly an evil genius?

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

How do you make trees grow?

I have tried a variety of methods based on Tree (structure), but I have not had any luck.

Any pointers would be helpful. :D

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

In Infdev mode tree leaves occasionally drop saplings when they're destroyed. Simply place these saplings in a well-lit, grassy area and over time a tree will grow.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I generally just pepper them all over the ground to get rid of them (even right next to each other) and when I come back there's more trees than I started with! \o/

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Edit:

Wow... I messed that up... I thought it was 6 blocks in either direction, turns out it is now only two! Bonus! I think it still needs a minimum height of 6 though. So the minimum space for a tree would be 5x5x6. Also, only 1 torch is required.

Edit 2:
Haha that's kind of funny, last night I carved out this epic undergound treefarm room 57x57x6 thinking I would only be able to get 16 trees in there... Turns out I'll be having much more wood than I expected!

Edit 3:
This is for underground tree farming of course, so you still need to place your sapling on a dirt block. It does not need to be grassy.

Edit 4:
Notch added boats! And bigger better trees! And cacti!

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Animals (pigs and sheep) can no longer spawn on rock! YAY! I had two chests full of pork and had to go on a rampage once or twice a minecraft day, because of those darn animals.

Also, apparently there's now a bug that makes the game unplayable after dying. Be careful.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It would be kind of convenient if he would fix the "bug" that causes animals to spawn on trees. ;D I see more sheep in trees than I see on the ground.

I just started playing Red Dead Redemption so it will probably be a while before I get back to Minecraft (though I may play if I'm too lazy to wait for RDR to load).

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Apparently animals can now only spawn on grass blocks. So if they're in trees now they jumped down from a cliff. Which isn't all that unlikely.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Well, at least them bastards won't appear in my base now. I had entered my base one time (on my new map) and saw like 5 sheep in there, and the door was closed!

---
MiquelFire.red

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Is this real?

Apples

I've only come across two dungeons, neither one recently, so I don't know if this is real or another fake page that just hasn't been cleaned out yet.

Speaking of dungeons, I have trouble finding them. Which sucks, because I would totally make a trap under the spawner found in them.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

This game appeals to me on so many levels, but from what I can manage to Google up, the only payment option seems to be PayPal (requiring you to sign up before even giving information on how to buy the thing? Seriously? Does the guy have a deep aversion to money or something?). So no Minecraft for me!

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

bamccaig said:

PayPal allows you to use a credit card without actually creating an account, AFAIK.

Up to the point where they, mid-transaction, for no reason whatsoever, suddenly drop you to a shittily machine-translated page[1] where none of the buttons make any sense anymore. And that is the point at which I go "WTF PayPal? I knew you were evil, but not that you were this goddamned incompetent!" and decide never to do business with them again. :P

References

1. Yes. Seriously. DIE, GEOLOCATION-BASED LANGUAGE SWITCHING, DIE!

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Installed; now I just need to figure out wtf I'm doing. :P

EDIT: Ewww. Nighttime completely destroys my framerate. O_o And how I make pickaxe?

EDIT2: Made the pickaxe. Took like 30 tries but it wouldn't show. :(

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Well, today I dug deep, reaching the bottom of the map via a vertical shaft with ladders.

It netted me three stacks of iron! And several stacks of redstone dust, a good bit of coal, some gold, and eight diamond. It was an epic cave. :)

I might just dig down at another random spot to find a second cave system. The caves near the bottom of the map are full of resources!

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Ok, I'll show off the last thing I made in this game. An underwater glass tunnel.[1]

video

Useful? Probably not. Badass, Pretentious? Of course. 8-)

It was very fun to do the construction in the first place. I did a whole cave of dirt with one extra block on its sides, then filled with glass the interior. Remove the extra dirt, and let the water flow. It's very cool to see it on the night lit underwater.

References

1. I thought it was pretty original, but then when I finished, I found Youtube plagued with videos of more tunnels. :(

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Go to: