January 1999

Skype doesn't work in the background. >:(

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Not much seems to work in the background. My understanding is apps must recompile with SDK 4 and they automatically get backgrounding. The old understanding was that all apps would get backgrounding automatically.

What's worse, I believe you must use an unstable beta XCode to compile SDK 4. This is all very lame.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

As far as I understood it, Apples new api only let you build a special service for the OS to handle stuff while you go about using other apps. That is, your app ceases completely, and all thats left is a small OS service handling what it is that you told it to do... Like play music in the background, monitor skype calls, fetch your RSS feeds, etc.

No multi processing, just background plugins.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

No multi processing, just background plugins.

That's how it should be on a small, mobile device that favors standby over true shutdown. But it shouldn't have taken until version 4 of the OS. :P

Pandora and Dropbox work nicely now, but Skype and TouchTerm don't. And most applications don't support the quick resume. All of this should have been easy to get right on the first release of the OS.

Yet they talk about "getting it done right is worth the wait" as if it takes a genius to figure out the few things that are useful to run in the background on an iPod.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

You have to implement one method to get backgrounding to work in your app. All it has to do is stop opengl drawing/other opengl commands before it returns. If you don't use OpenGL, then the apps should all still work with backgrounding. There is a 10 minute limit for background tasks. They can notify you if they're going to be terminated. And the SDK is out of beta now Dustin, it has been for a while now.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Ah, one more thing. My favorite part (which is just iOS4, so I probably would have had this on the 3GS) is backgrounding pandora and using the headphone controls to control (pause, skip etc) it! Just brilliant.

So Apple finally gets around to adding a basic feature years later, and it's brilliant? I've been multitasking on my phones for years... I am always amazed at just how brainwashed Apple fanboys are. They're worse than Sony fanboys.

If anyone else released a phone that couldn't even be held normally without dropping signal, people would tear into them. But because it's Apple, it's only a minor inconvenience.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Yet they talk about "getting it done right is worth the wait" as if it takes a genius to figure out the few things that are useful to run in the background on an iPod.

It took a genius to figure out that if new features are equally redistributed among new releases, it produces more releases & thus more income.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

type568 said:

It took a genius to figure out that if new features are equally redistributed among new releases, it produces more releases & thus more income.

Except they aren't charging for iOS 4 at all.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

People talk about it, it's somewhat enough..
Append:
Google policy, is to be "very good guys", since some 90% of their income is their adds, the rest maybe pretty much just work for reputation. (oh well, not that simple, but..)

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Not directly, but if you have old hardware, you need to buy new.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Not directly, but if you have old hardware, you need to buy new.

Old enough at least. iOS 4 works on the 3G, and the 3GS (though not 100% feature comparable with the iPhone 4).

If you're stuck with an original iPhone, or first gen iPod Touch, well sucks to be you ;D

--

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

They are artificially feature limited unless you buy new hardware. Sort of like the last round of updates - leaving MMS off of the original iPhone. I'm sure they've pulled other crap like that, I just don't pay attention.

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

BAF said:

They are artificially feature limited unless you buy new hardware. Sort of like the last round of updates - leaving MMS off of the original iPhone. I'm sure they've pulled other crap like that, I just don't pay attention.

While it is kind of silly (and a bit consumer unfriendly), but they are not obliged to update old hardware (or new-ish hardware, for that matter) with new features. Obviously they will want to make as much money as possible, so if you find this unacceptable you shouldn't buy their products.

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

It's also kind of weird considering how compatible Android tries to be.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Why is that weird? Making Android incompatible wouldn't earn Google anymore money at all.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

This discussion about multitasking reminds me of my old Q-Tec PDA with Win Mobile 5 which backgrounds the application upon clicking cross button and you have to end the task from memory manager, because it wears out battery quite sooner.

Also reminds me of my friend who at first nagged about iPad not having multitasking. He suddenly switched sides and proclaims that multitasking is wrong on mobile devices, because it just backgrounds the application, user doesn't know it's still running and soon you have many applications running in background for no reason, when all you needed was to shutdown them when you've closed them. Everytime I ask what about IM or Skype running in background when browsing web...

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Or trying to play music while browsing the web.

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

BAF said:

Or trying to play music while browsing the web.

That works just fine on the iPhone/iPad. Only third party apps are subject to the "no multitasking" rule (and that has changed now with iOS4, in some ways).

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

The IM App on the iPhone uses push notifications to alert you of incoming IMs.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

What if you want to listen to Pandora or Last.FM while browsing?

Also, I think that iPhone's push notifications are a joke. They seem so outdated - a modal popup, with no way to view the alert later or anything?

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

BAF said:

What if you want to listen to Pandora or Last.FM while browsing?

I'll break it down for you:

1. Tap Pandora icon

2. Push Home button

3. Tap Safari

4. Browse

5. ...

6. Profit

Video Demonstration

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

I'll break it down for you:

The current discussion was related to iPhone OS 3, where there was no multitasking.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Billybob said:

The current discussion was related to iPhone OS 3, where there was no multitasking.

Jonatan and Dustin switched back the discussion to iOS 4. Plus, BAF had PM'd me asking for a video because he finds it hard to work without Hannah Montana tunes.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I thought you had one of those $5/year phones.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Go to: