Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » iPhone 4

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
iPhone 4
OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

I'm surprised nobody mentioned yellow spots on the iPhone 4 displays and antenna issues.

Seems like that bitten apple just got some rot on it and you can't even hold the phone to make a call :) Discuss - could this be a killer or will the Apple fanboys overlook this?

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

The antenna issue looks like a partial GUI bug. Apparently even with "no service" the phone can still make calls. And internet still works, though its a lot slower.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Doesn't sound like a GUI bug if it slows it down.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

BAF said:

Doesn't sound like a GUI bug if it slows it down.

Yeah, I edited right after I posted ;)

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Even the quality of the phone call dropped rapidly.

"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yeah, I finished reading the entire page, it does seem its a serious problem. Apple should have shipped the phones WITH the case they are also selling (for the first time I might add, its almost as if they knew this was going to happen and did nothing about it).

--

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

This sounds like something basic that should have been caught in testing long ago.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

BAF said:

This sounds like something basic that should have been caught in testing long ago.

As mentioned in that article, Apple is now making first party bumper cases. Wonder why they are doing it for the first time? They used to leave it to 3rd party partners. All of a sudden, they are now making apple cases. hmmm.

--

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

I really had a good laugh when Apple began to manufacture rubber cases as a workaround. If I'm not mistaken these were traditionally made by third parties and not Apple itself. Anyway I wonder what's with those yellow stains on the display.

EDIT: damn, beaten.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

{"name":"jobsemail.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/1\/71881b162c83c040784799cb98c609a1.jpg","w":600,"h":382,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/1\/71881b162c83c040784799cb98c609a1"}jobsemail.jpg

The fix is in!

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

If you're buying an iPhone 4, IMO you sure as hell better get a silicon cover for it and a screen protector while you're at it. Still though, it's a really stupid bug that it's hard to believe they didn't catch. I'd be more concerned about the yellow screen though, personally, since a $XXX (what do they cost? 3gs was around $800 last I looked) warrants a $10 rubber protector.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Why bother with a cover and a screen protector? I haven't used either of those on my phones in years (and they aren't as durable as the iPhone 4 supposedly is). They may pick up a couple scratches here and there, but whats the point in covering up. You want to keep it looking nice but not show it off - what a paradox.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I don't know about you, but I put my phone in my pocket with lots of other crap. Keys, coins etc. My previous phones screen was so scratched up it was hard to see. If I had put a screen protector on it, I could have replace the screen protector and had a phone like-new. iPhones are not matte plastic like most "regular" cell phones, so they're going to show a LOT of scratches if you don't protect them. I would at the very least put on a clear protector (which is just a screen protector like thing that covers the body) if I wanted to "show off" my phone. But in all honesty, I feel embarrassed that I have an iPhone, the opposite of wanting to show it off.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I put my phone in its own pocket. Never had anything too major with scratches, especially with glass screens. I never liked screen protectors - too much hassle, they never like to go on right, or you get dust under them, and it just never looks as good as a naked screen. Keys/coins/etc go in another pocket.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

BAF said:

I put my phone in its own pocket. Keys/coins/etc go in another pocket.

I started doing this with my latest phone, and it's amazing the difference it makes. A friend of mine got the same phone about two weeks after I did, and his looks several years older, it's now so beaten up.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

BAF said:

Me too, for a couple of years now :D
Though I still managed to scratch the screen in an empty pocket once.. I sat down on a car rear door, broke the glass a piece of the glass got in to my pocket & scratched the screen -.-

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Holding the phone naturally kills all signal -- drops everything for me. I am annoyed...

In reorganizing my folders, I ran into a bug where 20 something apps were randomly taken out of folders and thrown onto new screens. I found a bug where wiggle mode crashes in a special case applying to folders (luckily it recovers well from this). Facetime does not work anymore on my phone after doing a restore of my old phone, although I just had a fix from the internet mailed to me I will try.

With all the issues though -- it's a great phone. Even the battery life feels a bit better.

It's startling how crappy the 3gs looks when set next to a g4. It really looks terrible...

{"name":"36401_400983597422_506407422_4956444_5593548_n.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/6\/a6dc006468f15c61b51bfa8602a2a097.jpg","w":480,"h":720,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/6\/a6dc006468f15c61b51bfa8602a2a097"}36401_400983597422_506407422_4956444_5593548_n.jpg

An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

Did you see how the people in that vid had a chuckle at the presentation? If Jobs brought out an iPhone to show off and it blew up in his hands, they'd still buy it. Apple fans love apple shit.

I doubt these "little" problems will stop the sales of the iPhone 4.

Dustin: Is that a screenshot straight from an iPhone4? Is that the natural res of the phone? (ie pixel for pixel)?

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Two of my mates at work have one and they showed me how to stop it working. All he did was hold the left side near the bottom (you know, like how you hold a phone). This shorts the two antennas and the signals drops off.

Apparently the official Apple response is not to hold the phone like that. So there you go, either get a case or hold it like posh people drinking tea.

Call me old-fashioned, but I would have thought somebody might have carried out some basic phone tests before releasing it...8-)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Yeah, it's a pretty serious flaw for them to miss. I guess because all of the testers used cases to make it look like an iphone 3gs? :P

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

BAF said:

I really hated my Blackberry Pearl, so I'd frequently put it in my pocket with the keys, just as a sort of technological revenge. I'd also drop kick it from time to time. 8-)

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

An Ly said:

Is that a screenshot straight from an iPhone4? Is that the natural res of the phone? (ie pixel for pixel)?

Yeah, damn, I didn't realize how big that screenshot was. It's like that but 5/12th the width and maybe 7/12th the height when holding up the phone to my screen.

The effect on text is incredible. I never realized how subconsciously annoyed I was at reading text before. I got that "aah, that's a relief" feeling when reading text the first time. It's actually easier to read text on my iphone than my laptop now.

Ah, one more thing. My favorite part (which is just iOS4, so I probably would have had this on the 3GS) is backgrounding pandora and using the headphone controls to control (pause, skip etc) it! Just brilliant.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

backgrounding pandora

My iPad envies you :(

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Quote:

iPad

Why did they make it not have multitasking? Surely there's gotta be a reason other than "we used iPhone's OS and it didn't have it, oh well."

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

It's still in development.

You could probably jailbreak your ipad and get multitasking.

Go to: