iPhone 4
Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Today, Jobs announced the iPhone4.

15 things about iPhone 4

Here's a video of him pulling a Bill Gates:

video

Yea, yea, yea, I don't really care about the new iPhone either. But what I do find really awesome is the Retina Display, which has a resolution of 960x640!!! Say goodbye to pixels!!! :o

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Basically nothing new: iPhone network sucks.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

That was all on wifi mind you. So yeah, nothing new. WiFi networks suck.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Gahhhhh. Sucking money out of the self-absorbed children who spend their mornings at a local coffee shop...the new Apple.

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

WiFi is 1000 times more stable than AT&T's 3G network.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

WiFi is 1000 times more stable than AT&T's 3G network.

Not when you have a shit load of people all using a single wifi network at once.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Yeah, probably still then too. It could be hooked to a 56K modem and probably still be just about as good.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

0 is not more or less than 0 though ;)

--

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

WiFi may hit 0. I don't think AT&T gets that high. :-X

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Bhohh. I'm allergic to gushing marketing bullshit.

Quote:

It's got 78 per cent of the pixels of the iPad, but in a far smaller screen-size. That should mean colors will pop, and video, browsing, app-playing—whatever else you do with your iPhone—will be clearer than ever.

Since when does color gamut have any relationship with spatial resolution?

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Wow. All these "nerds" and nobody cares about the increase in resolution? Who cares what they call it. It will look beautiful. Nothing like a crisp, high resolution IPS to get the nerdgasms going.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Meh, it's just another phone, another resolution. Nobody had nerdgasms with the high resolution Windows Mobile phones.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

gnolam said:

It doesn't. That article wasn't written with very much insight.

Billybob said:

It will look beautiful.

No kidding!! Imagine a circle on the screen, for the first time, you won't see any pixels or wonky edges. Just a perfect circle. I'm seriously excited about the prospect of that.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Nothing about changing the app store model or ditching AT&T's half-assed service. I'm looking to move to Android.

My iPhone is useless as a phone and the app store is such a polished turd... If it didn't tell the time, I wouldn't even carry it around.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Kibiz0r said:

My iPhone is useless as a phone

Wow, really? I want the Google phone, but not for $500. :(

I'm with T-Mobile, and I can't get that phone at the reasonable price because I'm not a new customer. And I've been with T-Mobile for probably about 10 years!

--

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I was excited to hear about Farmville on the iPhone.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

I actually just bought a used mytouch 3G. So I'll have both an Android phone and Apple iPad. Hopefully I can use wifi tethering to have the phone give internet to the iPad :P that'll be confusing yet fun.

I'm with T-Mobile, and I can't get that phone at the reasonable price because I'm not a new customer. And I've been with T-Mobile for probably about 10 years!

Yeah, I know how you feel. But I think I'll be happy with my purchase, because I didn't have to extend the contract and be locked into two years of paying for data service. If you subsidize any smart phones with Tmo they force you to pay the data plan for two years. Joy!

BAF said:

Nobody had nerdgasms with the high resolution Windows Mobile phones.

Were they IPS?

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Don't know.

My Android phone has an AMOLED screen, which easily beats that IPS junk any day.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

I think Jobs has completely ignored the geek customer which is why you get this backlash -- and I think it's one of the smartest things a company can do.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

I think Jobs has completely ignored the geek customer which is why you get this backlash

Mostly yes. But the great thing is, by turning these devices into status symbols and getting them accepted by the general public, he's making our lives easier. Plus, less computer repair duty. Which means we can get on with our lives hacking away on Android phones.

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Does it play Flash video?

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

gnolam said:

A higher DPI does make dithering more effective, which can increase the apparent range of color.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

An Ly
Member #185
April 2000

Have an iPhone 3gs. Love it.

In AU, we don't have to get it with any one single phone provider. It comes unlocked from apple store and you can go with anyone so AT&T is not a problem here.

iPhone 4? Not as excited about. Especially from a dev perspective. Just another platform you gotta cater for.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

I was excited about video calls until they announced it was wifi only. That just ruins it :P.

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

What's the deal with video calls anyway? I've had it since my first 3g phone (like 5 years ago?) and I think I've used it once.

It IS very silly to limit it to wifi though, considering 3g obviously has support for it.

Go to: