Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Who Needs Direction?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Who Needs Direction?
23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

O.
M.
G.

The name of the colony/city/player/villain/game/something has got to be Monday.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I had that thought too when this thing started rolling! :o

How about "Final Monday", sounds more cryptic 8-)

concept aht
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596340

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

And there has to be at least 13 of them with several offshoots for different platforms, and a couple different genres.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

Final Monday? Are you having a laugh? Why not Final Fantasy on a Monday with Zelda and Link?

I see something more in the Golden Age Of Pulp

http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596341

Nothing cryptic about THAT :)

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

that reminds me of the Captian Proton episodes on Voyager. :)

Quote:

Why not Final Fantasy on a Monday with Zelda and Link?

because nobody will ever make the connection. ::)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

reminds me of the Captian Proton episodes on Voyager. :)

Yeah, pulp science fiction is the definition of "camp". Actually I think its the camp of "camp".

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

How bout, like, Super Monday, or Monday 64?

--

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Personally, I don't mind just plain old "Monday". Or name the character Monday. Its an old school detective's name.

--

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

that's cool.

I approve... in all my approval authority. :P

--

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

Personally, I don't mind just plain old "Monday". Or name the character Monday. Its an old school detective's name.

My thinking as well. Monday should be the main character's last name.

Matt: We're going for a subtle mystery plot here, I thought. "Monday" will be a fine project name, but let's not try to go too over the top. :)

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

I played around a little with UML.

I haven't figured out how to bind stuff so script can do stuff. I don't have much experience with scripting.

Yes, I know. There's not much explained. It's just a throw up of the stuff we need to implement and a few relations between them.

{"name":"596342","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/f\/6f7a30e4441f38df7ac1b477283a176b.png","w":492,"h":334,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/f\/6f7a30e4441f38df7ac1b477283a176b"}596342

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

OK, well my ego is far too big to be on a creative team, so I'll try and stick to my CSA role. You and Mark have the art & music skills to set the atmosphere. I'll stick to organising the code and maybe doing a bit of it.

Later on when you've got the sprite style and everything down, I can help with the million animations.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Helping people to get on the same page, I stole some Final Fantasy tiles:

.http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596345 http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596346

So that's the basic idea of how the ship will look as far as the pure dimensions of rooms go. Pretending that will be the screen size and keeping those proportions, I think I'd want the player at least the 16 pixels he is now, maybe 18. I was picturing him Link-sized, with the ALttP style of too-big heads, but if we keep normal dimensions for the player like in the mockup that can work too. Not pictured: life meter, current weapon equipped, etc. The colony, which this is kinda supposed to be, is going to look fairly white and sterile, but be cluttered as hell with various gear and equipment. :)

Upon reflection, I think all the screens will scroll (not 100% sure yet). Being forced to make all the level designs adhere to compartmentalized room is going to bite me in the long run; I can tell now. All dungeons and the colony will be as you see above; black enclosed rooms that may or may not have to scroll. Perhaps they should all more-or-less stay centered on the player? The overworld will still just be one big tilemap, and if you want to challenge yourselves you could make it load a screen at a time from file so it only has an area 3 screens tall by 3 screens wide loaded around the player at any time. :) The idea of moving with arrow keys and shooting with the mouse appeals to me, and I should probably start thinking of ways to design rooms/enemies/puzzles around that philosophy ....

PS: Tilemap engine needs parallax scrolling; don't forget that detail. :)

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

if you want to challenge yourselves you could make it load a screen at a time from file so it only has an area 3 screens tall by 3 screens wide loaded around the player at any time.

I started writing an iso tile engine that worked like that. I eventually realized it was more trouble than it was worth. After calculating the memory it would take for say, a 1000x1000 tile map, it wasn't really worth it, and making sure thing that are off the loaded map keep state was more of a pain than just keeping stuff loaded, and using a few extra MB of ram.

I did actually get the code working though. Supported 9 layers as well or something like that.

--

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I actually had been thinking of making a little demo of that (which is why I brought it up) and I think we had very different designs, but that's another thread ...

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

I think we had very different designs

For my first tile engine, the code is rather pathetic ::) but it let you load NxM "blocks" of tiles, where normally you'd just let it pick the best number of blocks for the resolution you're using (larger mode has more visible blocks on screen). And as I mentioned, that style of dynamic map loading didn't mesh well with the features I wanted to support.

--

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I like the player proportions in that shot (needs bigger doors to match, though), and I would prefer that to anything else. Where did you get that player sprite?

--

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Okay, I should be able to have everything setup by tomorrow night. Just need a method to control the users, and once that's done, I'll let you have it. Next week, I'll see about allowing other people to control user access as well. For this weekend, just allowing a way to allow people to change their password will be enough for me.

URL is http://svn.miquelfire.com/monday/

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Neil Black said:

I've never used, or heard of, SVN. Hopefully it's straightforward enough to jump right into.

Subversion clients can be installed from numerous sources. Official binaries appear to come from here. That's mostly useful for Windows users. *nix users will probably either have Subversion installed already or will be able to easily find it in their distribution's software repositories. Or you can get the source and build it yourself (there are probably also binaries for most common distros). For Windows, it's definitely easier to just use pre-compiled binaries though. And for those not comfortable with the command line, there are a few GUI front-ends that do the job. ToroiseSVN is a pretty good one for Windows, I guess.

The command line client works a little different from most *nix tools in that it doesn't have a --help option (nor a /? switch for the Windows users). This used to catch me quite often. Instead, it just has a "subcommand" as the second argument (examples of these given by Thomas Fjellstrom are checkout AKA co, update AKA up, commit AKA ci).

svn [subcommand]

The one you'll probably use most often when first starting out is help, which lists the various subcommands available or, if supplied a subcommand, lists the help for a particular subcommand.

svn help [subcommand]

You can either view the Subversion Documentation online or download it and view it locally (Reads pretty much like a tutorial; I recommend you at least attempt to read through the first few sections so that you know how to use Subversion and get a general idea of DOs and DONTs):

* Not sure which version MiquelFire is running on the server. I'm not sure if the client/server have to match so to be safe I'll say they should (though they very well might not have to).

Onewing said:

I'm guessing "-m" means "message",...

I find it much easier to set the SVN_EDITOR environment variable (i.e. In Windows, I have it set to notepad because it's so light weight that it takes no time to launch). Then, when you don't pass the -m variable, the Subversion client will launch the editor set in SVN_EDITOR and let you take your time to write a detailed log message (Which also allows you to write multi-line log messages; which might be possible, though not pretty, on the *nix command lines, but not in Windows). When you're finished, just save (to the temporary file that was created by the Subversion client) and exit the editor. The client will examine the temporary file and react accordingly (either committing with said log message, or if you didn't modify the file, asking you what to do).

Thomas Fjellstrom said:

Sorry, it's the short form for "commit".

Fixed. ;)

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

My server (if you clicked on the link) is 1.4

Though I think a higher version client should work with a lower version server. After all, if they weren't backwards compatible, how would you explain how they handle the SVN repository for SVN itself? Yea, to check out 1.5, you need SVN 1.5... chicken/egg... wait, what? ???

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

Maybe Monday's evil twin could be Yadnom? ;D

I know this is blasphemous, but I stumbled across the ClanLIB library (competitor to allegro), but they have some really good ideas that we could "borrow" from if anyone needs to know how to do GUIs, use networking, use their style of maps (or map editors), etc.

I like the OO approach (almost entirely C++), though that may grate on some people here.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Quote:

I know this is blasphemous, but I stumbled across the ClanLIB [clanlib.org] library

If I look at just one more 'CL_' I think I'll barf. Their naming conventions are awful. Haven't they ever heard of a namespace? The abstraction levels for image formats seem pretty low and their class names are rather lengthy. There are some interesting things there though, like their Sprite class with animation support.

Regarding the group project :
Keep at it people, I'd like to see everything come together. I may make myself available for proof reading once code starts materializing.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Matt Smith said:

Play Game:  
    Centered buttons:  New Game, Load Saved Game, Exit

I don't see any value in having a Play Game sub-menu. Putting the New Game and Load options on the main menu (and perhaps a Save option while in-game) is more efficient from a user's point of view. Speaking of which, it may be a little early, but how do we intend to save the game? Are we going to store the exact player position, health, or perhaps just the inventory and progress?

Maybe we should start recording all of this stuff in a single place so we can find it later (either a Wiki or the OP?).

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

How did we define player vs. enemy fights? Zelda-like, where they attack each other on the world map, or will it do the FF thing where you're all in your line, they're all in their line, and you have very limited animations ("sword attack! Hi-ya!")?

I'm just thinking of the number of frames that need to be drawn in either case. For FF-style, you have "stand and wait for your turn" animations (a few "ho-hum" ones), but for Zelda-like, it's more like:

"walk left", "run left", "attack left", "defend left", etc.

Thus, we would know what kinds of animations they'll need. For just these four "left" movements, you may need to have 2-3 of each (so 8-12 different animations each).

With that new Spore game's monster-creation lab, we may be able to quickly create hideous monsters through that interface and just take a highly-pixelated snapshot of a few of its different movements (and then rotate in the different directions you'll need to use for 2D animations and do it again).

But that's obvious plagiarism... ;)

EDIT:

bamccaig said:

I don't see any value in having a Play Game sub-menu. Putting the New Game and Load options on the main menu (and perhaps a Save option while in-game) is more efficient from a user's point of view.

From what I learned, many people prefer tend to prefer fewer "distractions" in a screen than having to click through a few more screens to get to where they want to go.

You COULD put the screen-configuration settings on the same page too, but then you immediately see how that could become more cluttered quickly.

There may want to be a design spec that says that we should limit the number of on-screen elements (buttons, information panes, etc.) to a certain number (as a standard, not a hard-fixed rule, of course). That would help us know when "too much" is too much...

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

OnlineCop said:

How did we define player vs. enemy fights? Zelda-like, where they attack each other on the world map, or will it do the FF thing where you're all in your line, they're all in their line, and you have very limited animations ("sword attack! Hi-ya!")?

I'm just thinking of the number of frames that need to be drawn in either case. For FF-style, you have "stand and wait for your turn" animations (a few "ho-hum" ones), but for Zelda-like, it's more like:

"walk left", "run left", "attack left", "defend left", etc.

Thus, we would know what kinds of animations they'll need. For just these four "left" movements, you may need to have 2-3 of each (so 8-12 different animations each).

I think we agreed on real-time, which likely means "world map" battles. And it's seemingly going to be a shooter. For the record, FFXII and FFXIII have world map battle systems though. :P

Like I said, we should record the details in a single place so we can look these things up easily as time goes on. What should it be? A post, wiki, static Web page managed by an elected member, or something else entirely?

OnlineCop said:

From what I learned, many people prefer tend to prefer fewer "distractions" in a screen than having to click through a few more screens to get to where they want to go.

You COULD put the screen-configuration settings on the same page too, but then you immediately see how that could become more cluttered quickly.

It really depends on just how clean the title screen is. Keeping the background of the actual menu uncluttered will make the menu easier to see. I think that's key. So long as the menu items fit nicely on a single screen there should be no problem. I've played games that did either well and either badly. It's really just a matter of making the title screen UI first and art second. It shouldn't be too difficult to experiment with each though.

Go to: