Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Who Needs Direction?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Who Needs Direction?
OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

Are you using Windows?

If so, and you use either MSVC or gcc/g++, use the precompiled binaries for allegro5. Although I've been able to compile allegro5 for myself, I don't see why the [dis]ability to compile the library should hold you back from being able to work on Monday.

If you need help, join us on freenode in the #allegro or #allegro-monday channels sometime and we'd be happy to see if we can't get you up and running.

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

I am using Linux. Thanks for the help, but it's time for sleep now; I'll post error messages within the next few days.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
C++: An octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.
I am the Lightning-Struck Penguin of Doom.

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

Now THAT is surprising...Must have a jacked up build system if it doesn't compile under Linux.::)

--
"Everyone tells me I should forget about you, you don’t deserve me. They’re right, you don’t deserve me, but I deserve you."
"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I know the one main makefile I used worked just fine. Someone may have removed it or something I'm not sure. I was trying to get a nice cmake file together before christmas, but I'm new to cmake, didn't get much done. I was trying to be fancy, seems cmake doesn't do "fancy".

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

I know it should work under Linux; it's a problem with my system, not with the game.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Its build system isn't exactly proper at the moment. So it may not be your system.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

AFAIK, it's a problem with compatibility between my libstdc++ and A5. I'm currently reinstalling GCC (and hence libstdc++) from source; that may work and seems unlikely to brick my system. Not much else I can do.

EDIT:
Success. Reinstalling libstdc++ from source worked. Now I just have to learn the source code. :P
I'm more than happy to do some work on this; it sounds fun.

EDIT2:
I should probably also learn C++. :P Does anyone know of a good tutorial about C++ for C/Java programmers? I keep finding intro-to-programming tutorials, which are annoying because they bury the stuff I need in a mountain of 'this is a variable, this is a function' drivel.

--

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

alethiophile said:

I should probably also learn C++. :P Does anyone know of a good tutorial about C++ for C/Java programmers?

Nice C++ Tutorial
The 'Object Oriented Programming' and 'Advanced Concepts' sections will probably interest you the most, and they explain the major parts of C++ that are different from C aside from strings and streams.

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

Quote:

Are you still following this ever-lengthening thread? Still wanting to help? Need anything to do, work on, start on, finish up, clean up, or debug?

Yes, I still follow this thread intermittently. I've been mostly gone since the thirteenth but will be back in a position of having absolutely nothing to do as soon as the year turns. Personally, I'm just waiting for someone to tell me what to do. On team projects, I do not consider it a good idea to start out by just going off and implementing something without any guidelines. It usually ends up being no more than a waste of time.

So, yes, as soon as someone gives me some form of instruction (I mean the kind less broad than, "look at the (out of date) todo file and pick something.") I should be able to do something.

Unless, of course, I ever get my hands on a DS again (unlikely on my negative income). In that scenario I'll likely find myself preoccupied with the forgotten allegro port.

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

I am in the process of familiarizing myself with the source code; I figured out C++. I can do whatever someone tells me to do, if they point out the relevant point in the source.

--

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

relpatseht said:

So, yes, as soon as someone gives me some form of instruction (I mean the kind less broad than, "look at the (out of date) todo file and pick something.") I should be able to do something.

I'll add my [nick]name to that list. One of the main reasons I've been working on

relpatseht said:

just going off and implementing something without any guidelines

is that, well, no one has given me anything concrete to work on yet.

Leaders: what would you like me (us) to do?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I want us all to sit down and talk in IRC to figure out where things are going.

Once I get back home, lets schedule a meeting in #allegro-monday on freenode some time in the next week or so. Everyone thats done something, or really wants to do something should be there.

--

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

Date? Time?

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

'some time in the next week or so' sounds good. To be consistent with the game name, we should do it tomorrow.

--

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

Tomorrow starts at 12:00am (or 12:01am for some of you who don't know whether :00 means "am" or "pm")... are we all meeting in the middle of the night? Middle of the day?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Well make sure its some time I'm up ;) What time zones are everyone in? And we need to leave enough time for everyone (like 23 who seems to disappear for days, weeks) to see the time/date.

--

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

I'm US/Mountain.

And perhaps, to solve the problem of people seeing the date, people who are interested and have seen it should post here to say so and if anyone hasn't who is needed, someone PM them.

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

Mountain Time (GMT -7)

Whenever we do this, I'm going to have to do it sneakily... I'll need to lock myself away from the family to get some good chat time in.

Late nights often work really well for me, but since it's a vacation for me (and I'm not working), mid-day is doable.

Maybe as we make decisions, we can post rough notes onto the wiki pages, and then those who come late can be brought up to speed quickly?

Oh, and good idea of putting in a "bugs.txt" to the SVN trunk. At least I know where some of those bugs are coming from, which shouldn't be too difficult to blast.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'm only really available between 6pm and 11pm (EST) (except on weekends when I can be made available pretty much at any time).

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

like 23 who seems to disappear for days, weeks

Eh; even when I played WoW a lot, I still checked in. :)

I'm free pretty much any evening. -6 GMT here. I get home from work by 6PM.

Also, note that Trezker doesn't seem to have posted since the 8th. Anything aware of what's happening with our lead programmer?

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

Oh, I'm still here ;)

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

I'm alive and well tomorrow, if all goes according to plan. EST for until next year, whence I'll be returning to a more sensible timezone (PST, that being).

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

I'm lurking, but my motivation for the project is sadly on vacation.
I will always try to answer questions though.

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

Since it appears that we have some momentum now, we should probably meet on IRC pretty soon lest the project stagnate again. I can do it pretty much any time next week, sans new year's eve.

--

Go to: