Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Who Needs Direction?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Who Needs Direction?
Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Trezker for Lead Programmer.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Oh shi... :-[

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

Trezker, if you don't want the mantle, nominate someone else :)

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

or not :P

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

I don't want to bug you guys you could say I should be the last one to say this, as I really admire the way you're cooperating, but what are you doing? None of the ideas you have, seem original ("just like that other game"). If you don't have a goal it's really hard to decide how to get to that goal. The only goals you've set so far are:
-Make a space adventure. But I bet everybody has a different idea as what this is: communicate and share those ideas.
-Make a good game: I.e. good story, easy maintainability, etc. (But what else? Perhaps you should even name and prioritize these things.)
As for calling it unoriginal: it's not that it's bad, it just seems to lack inspiration, but that is a problem with most products today IMHO.
Please don't be disturbed by my rant: take it to heart, ignore it, hate my guts; whatever keeps you going!

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Ssshhhh, I'm having fun watching.

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

This is why we're starting to assign responsibilities! Once we determine who will do what, the decision-making for the smaller aspects of the game rely heavily on their "final say".

weapon_S, what part of this do YOU want to be in charge of? You might as well get an official title so they know what to call you in the credits :P

As for me, my title is the "I'm ready to start programming as soon as you guys start finalizing stuff!"-guy (I think we actually have a few of those here...)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

OnlineCop said:

This is why we're starting to assign responsibilities! Once we determine who will do what, the decision-making for the smaller aspects of the game rely heavily on their "final say".

We need to define what there is to do and who is capable of doing what before we can assign tasks... ::) IMO, we're still in the early conceptualizing stage. We have an idea for how the game will be presented and played and a general idea of the story, but we haven't really nailed anything down yet. The people in such a hurry to code should have no problem modeling the application; after all, they're ready to write it. Let's see a model. :)

Gr4|\|f
Member #9,499
February 2008

Here's something to consider: Do we want to have an overland travel mode, to get to different places across the continent, or will the game's storyline and settings be to directed to make that worth it?

Ping me @ 127.0.0.1

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I didn't think there would be that much map to cover... :-/ It would probably be good to draw up a smaller, to-scale, version of the map so we have a general idea how the game is going to play out and the artists have some idea of what they're doing. :P

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

I'm "Programmer #12". :P

Not really. But I think that one task that is absolutely uncontroversial and needs doing before anything else is getting an SVN repo going. MiquelFire's offer for SVN hosting seems reasonable. Does anyone have any serious problem with that, or with SVN in general, or something else related to the repository? If so, say so. If not, then MiquelFire should set up a repository.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
C++: An octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.
I am the Lightning-Struck Penguin of Doom.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I've never used, or heard of, SVN. Hopefully it's straightforward enough to jump right into.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

I've never used, or heard of, SVN.

Have you heard of SubVersioN?

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

No.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Wow. Ok, well its a Revion Control System, its somewhat like CVS, but much better.

Most used commands:
svn checkout/co http://site/repo/branch dir/to/put/checkout svn update/up svn -m "commit message here" ci

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Revion Control System? CVS?

Why do I suddenly feel like such a noob?

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

svn -m "commit message here" ci

I'm guessing "-m" means "message", but what does the "ci" mean?

I have heard of SVN for years now, but I've never personally had a need to use one.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

but what does the "ci" mean?

Sorry, its the short form for "checkin".

--

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

So how do I use this stuff?

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

Quote:

Mapslapper, huh?

Well, duhh. It's your duty to remind us that you've already done a working map editor. Is it better than Mappy already?

My current unfinished projects consist of 2 or 3 games, and about a dozen (that's 13, codebakers) game-making tools, some of which would be very helpful in this project if they were in a usable state, but they are not.

As this was supposed to a week long hack project, the idea was probably to manage without tools, and type the maps into hex editor. This could be managed if we were all in one place sharing the same adrenaline rush, but we don't have this luxury.

I've said the job of Evil Producer is undoable over the Internet. A Producer needs to threaten starvation and physical torture to force people to do the boring bits they've been assigned. We've all heard the stories about EA, and we've all seen their games at the top of the charts. The only possible stick (to balance the carrot of a glorious finished game) is to close the source to outsiders, and then slackers can risk being sent outside. This discourages casual assitance so would probably be counter productive.

The plot, gfx & gameplay could and probably should be done in a closed design group. This will prevent spoilers as much as anything else. I see no reason why the design group need to open-source any of the game, and it would be their Intellectual Property to licence how they see fit. It will be their game.

Most of the code can be written outside of the game, and this is where we need public discussion, or we'll end up with code uglier than KQ Lives. If I am to assume the title of Chief Software Architect, we'd be working on our own version of RPG Maker, which would not be limited to classic RPG, but of course we'd give priority to whatever formats the Game Design Team want.

My own personal favourite modded game is Age Of Mythology by Ensemble Studios. This was published as a historical fantasy RTS with a strong storyline, lots of in-game cutscenes, some heavily scripted maps. The modding community AoM Heaven have taken this game with its excellent ingame editor and lots of helpful scripting docs from
ES, and made all sorts of campaigns, RPG and movies with the supplied characters and gameplay mechanism. This is my idea of code built to last.

Anyway, back to the actualities, here is a further breakdown of the framework

1First Intro Menu
2 Rousing music
3 Backround full pic
4 Centered buttons: Play Game, Multiplayer (greyed for now), Options, Exit
6Play Game:
7 Centered buttons: New Game, Load Saved Game, Exit
9Options:
10 Centered buttons: Screen Mode, Keyboard Settings, Joystick Settings, Exit
12Keyboard Remapping Screen
13 dropdown selects profile, [new profile] sends you to Profile Creation Screen
15 funcs.
16 Display table of key_function, key_chosen pairs in editable dialog form
17 Parse keymapping from config file
18 Save keymapping to config file
19 Poll keys and buttons into keymap[] array, to be used by game
21Profile Creation Screen:
22 editbox : Player Name
23 Mii creator :) [optional, could be just Male/Female radio button]

That's plenty of GUI work to be getting on with, and none of it is even RPG specific yet. Any volunteers for this? I'll do it with Allegro GUI if nobody beats me to it with somthing better. Any GUI lib is acceptable, and it might even be nice to have versions for several GUIs.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

You're including a multiplayer option in the menu? I had no idea we were even doing multiplayer.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

None of the ideas you have, seem original ("just like that other game").

It's a starting point which is likely to evolve in the design. Besides, what do you expect from a forum-thread game? If it's finished and playable I'll be dancing; "good" is just gravy. :) As for the rest of your post, I don't think you're even reading the thread. :)

Quote:

Well, duhh. It's your duty to remind us that you've already done a working map editor. Is it better than Mappy already?

Define "better". It's simpler, and well suited to this type of game. I also wrote a Win32 version of KQ's tilemap editor, so I'm pretty good at this so far. I'll tell you what; we'll decide how the game will handle maps as far as code and data go, and I'll just put myself in charge of designing layouts (not necessarily graphics) and make sure my editor spits out the files right. If we want to ultimately end up with some sort of "engine" and use my editor for it, I'm sure I can customize it and there's lots of time for that later. Just for the sake of finishing the game, I'll be the only guy who needs it. The C++/Win32 version was a bit unpolished and I had to do certain things certain ways to keep it from crashing; the C# version will probably be better ... once I finish it ...

As the guy most involved in design, I'm probably going to end up with tilemap duty anyway, and I'm fine with that. I like making tilemaps; I did the last dungeon for KQ too. :) I was going to throw together some pics with ripped graphics just so people could get an idea of how moving around the game would be. Will probably be the next picture I post.

Quote:

Here's something to consider: Do we want to have an overland travel mode, to get to different places across the continent, or will the game's storyline and settings be to directed to make that worth it?

No. This will be very localized. The map I posted is basically the overworld in its entirety. :)

Again, I'm not even touching the SVN and CVS, though I want to see how you guys handle things. And why multiplayer? O_o

PS: I'm toying with the idea of using the keyboard to walk and the mouse to aim/shoot. Comments?

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

So how do I use this stuff?

Google will tell you.

There are GUI-based SVN tools for Windows though, that are very easy to use.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Quote:

I'm toying with the idea of using the keyboard to walk and the mouse to aim/shoot. Comments?

I've always wanted to make a game with that type of play control. I think it would be relatively easy to manage and would make the aim/shoot thing work, since the gameplay isn't going to be sword swiping. easier than 90 degree angles (watch AVGN's review of Star Trek). I think it's worth trying.

--

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

Quote:

And why multiplayer? O_o

Why not? :) This is the twenty-noughties!

OK OK, leave that out for now. This is a one player RPG after all.

MiquelFire : Sure open a SVN repository. Call it Monday. Start it off by checking in the code on http://wiki.allegro.cc/index.php?title=Let%27s_make_a_game as a file called src/main.c

We can then blame the entire list of existing contributors for the finished article ;D

Is Monday acceptable as a working title? That could be the name of the planet or something.

EDIT:

Quote:

keyboard to walk and the mouse to aim/shoot. Comments?

I've already got that in my 'RTS' (screenshot: http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596339). It makes me wonder exactly what kind of game I'm making :) A world with NPCs walking around a map is a powerful resource for many many different styles of game. It could be GTA or C&C or Oblivion. It might be all three, at different stages of the game.

Go to: