Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Who Needs Direction?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Who Needs Direction?
Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Here's some backstory I'll suggest to the mix. Also, I vote for a mostly human race the player controls.

Lastly, my additions are to the proposed stories of Trezker and Mark. (note: I tend to go very epic in my storylines)

Quote:

A year ago one of our allies abandoned their home planet.

I'm going to make them alien, let's call them alien race X for now.

Quote:

Over the last year we have made some progress in figuring out how the machine operates but we do not have the means to make it run. It is missing three components.[insert stuff here]

I'm going to say the three components are the "brain," "heart" and "network." The in-game names would be something like, respectively, the "Prospect Judgment Processor" (or PJP), "Xeon V Core Drive" (catchy, eh?) and the "Central Datalink Module."

The machine itself I'm calling the "Robot Prophet" (catchier name needed), a combination not too common. Essentially, this is a machine that takes huge amounts of data (which it connects to with the Central Datalink Module) and calculate a predictable future. So you can ask it, what will happen or where something might be.

Good ole alien race X did just that, asking it where something was. Upon receiving their answer, they dismantled the robot and left in hurry, because the Robot Prophet had been hacked and sinister alien race Y was coming to obtain the super toy. Not having much time, they scattered the main parts (not destroying it for some reason) and left, not giving any clues to their allies so they could obtain [whatever] before them (not the friendliest of allies, cue a sequel to the game).

Anyway, it's some thought fodder for inspiration.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

At last, a clear sprite request for the Art Dept.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

More input, this time per gameplay.

Perhaps we could say that teams are going to pick up the three components. Your team happens to be part of the "cool" team that's just awesome. The other teams meet uncertain disaster upon their missions. So, in the beginning, you get to pick which order you retrieve the three components (as the other teams attempt to go to the other locations). This breaks it up making it less linear. We just need to figure out how to make the six different paths work (e.g. properly balancing monsters, plot, etc.)

------------

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

I have one question about the additions to my story.

Quote:

Upon receiving their answer, they dismantled the robot and left in hurry

This doesn't quite seem enough of a reason for the whole population of the homeworld to leave... Do we explain this, or do we change it to government, military and scientists left the world?

I think the story becomes quite a bit less erie when they have a rational reason for leaving. Of course, it's ok if the answer to the mystery isn't erie, but the game should be erie until you find it.

Perhaps the population are infected with some virus to hide the fact that everyone important left. Then we could have zombies and immune people scared shitless on the planet. (enemies and NPC's) Zombies feels a bit old though and robots aren't scary. Maybe replicators, like in Stargate.

I feel my attempt to change the story failed miserably.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

No zombies. We've already got a space shooter/rpg/mystery, we don't need to add zombie killing into the genres.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

"Robot Prophet"?

It has to be "Deep Thought".

Gotta have a dash of geek pop culture in there.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Deep Thought. Yes. It must happen.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

This doesn't quite seem enough of a reason for the whole population of the homeworld to leave... Do we explain this, or do we change it to government, military and scientists left the world?

It's hard to say. I like the idea of the entire race leaving the planet, but in that case, the machine's prophecy must've been something huuge (that's with two u's). It also adds to the erie factor. However, we still need life on the planet for the player to interact with.

I'm with Neil on not wanting zombies in this game on top of everything else.

Quote:

Of course, it's ok if the answer to the mystery isn't erie, but the game should be erie until you find it.

Agreed. To the player, I think we should portray an erie overtone. However, to us, the developers, as soon as we decide what the mystery is, it won't seem as erie.

Heh, I can imagine playing the game, putting on the final component of the machine only to have it say, "you're all doomed!" calculating the inevitable armageddon. :D

------------

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quick comments:

Because of the size and scope of this game, I'm thinking we're going to keep the setting a little lower than "planet" scale. The player will operate out of a central hub, around which will be a basic overworld with the four dungeons, plus a few caves and crashed vessels to explore should the plot require it. The "collect three things and go" plot is a bit unsatisfying to me; firstly, there's not a tremendous amount of logic to the dungeons and bosses that surround these objectives unless we put a little backstory into them, and secondly, it pretty much negates the in-between plot stuff I was thinking of. Bluntly, it's kind of dull and we can do better.

Here's where I was starting out, and maybe we can build on this. I can supply a map in a day's time if this turns out to be agreeable:

The main character will assume the role of a forensic investigator/engineer, or whatever the appropriate title is. This is a young colony he's arriving on, and there have been some mechanical malfunctions he's been called upon to investigate. The game opens with some minor footwork as he moves the backstory forward talking to NPC's, reporting here and there to pick up his weaponry (light personal protection, mainly). I was thinking of a firing range where you have to hit moving targets with limited ammo; no reward for winning, just a simple minigame you can play anytime, get used to new weapons. Eventually he turns in for the night. Nothing you haven't seen in Chrono Trigger or a million other RPG's.

Cut to darkness as he steals out of the colony and heads for dungeon 1 in a deliberately shady manner. Once the dungeon is completed the backstory is fleshed out: he's a military internal affairs investigator and they are suspecting a member of local command of sabotage for some not-yet discovered motive, and he's investigating covertly, James-Bond style. Between dungeons 2 and 3 there's some questioning, and something useful left for the main character by an informant who's identity will be disclosed later. It's an NPC the player's already had interaction with, naturally. We need to keep some plausible mystery, and enough clues to keep the player wondering.

The investigation ultimately leads to Dungeon 2. The plot heats up a bit, perhaps the guilty party is now aware someone's on to him. Whether that party has been revealed to the player, the main character as the prime suspect, both, neither, whatever, depends on the rest of the plot and how we want to play it. Maybe the main player has a near miss with an "accident". Also keep in mind that this whoel time, the main character can gleefully arm himself with whatever he finds and can take without being caught. ;D That inventory is slowly filling, Zelda style ...

Dungeon 3 pretty much ends any real mystery as all the pieces fall into place. Then it's just setup for the final dungeon, protagonist vs. antagonist, as the good guy has the bad guy on the run and backed into a corner. We can tease the half-destruction of the colony or something to explain why the main character runs in alone instead of with military backup, or whatever else the plot can sensibly allow. Throw a supporting cast in there (like the informant), cool weapons and items, flesh out everyone's motivations and personality, figure out the dungeon settings to follow along the plot, and I think we might have a winner.

I don't mean to step on the previous ideas; just throwing out my own brainstorm. I'm open to being outvoted on this, but like I said I have a few reservations about the previous ideas, unless someone has some really good ideas to make them more workable ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

Ah, cool. Some tangible scene-setting. A male human engineer in a young space colony. The young space colony is a neat idea, as it allows you to mix hi-tech and rustic gfx.

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

There's always the possibility that there was a huge volcanic blast the hurdled these nearly-indestructible high-tech pieces into outer space. They had just enough juice in them before they crash-landed on various planets (or portions of the same planet if you want) to send out a homing beacon so someone knew that they were at least "out there somewhere" and a general location (on the western jungle continent, and on the far end of one of the northern moon craters, etc.)

That would explain why there was no one left, and why it appeared that they all left in a hurry without actually gathering this technology with them for their flight.

Then you could build your story around that premise, and that you need to

23yrold3yrold said:

... assume the role of a forensic investigator/engineer

and do all the recovery stuff...

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

Never mind all that. All that matters is that all these graphics from "Failed Project 2000" can be used. Game first, backstory second. IOW, Quit jawin' and start drawin'

/me brandishes Whip Of The Evil Producer

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

I nominate Matt Smith as the Evil Producer.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Matt Smith said:

Game first, backstory second.

The gameplay elements have been done before many times. To truly make it enjoyable there has to be a story for the player to get interested in. Figure out the story first and then design a game around it second. IMHO.

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

I'd say the "core programmers" should figure out what type of game they want (in this case, it's a tile-based, top-down RPG) and start on the engine code.

1) Figure out how maps will be stored, saved, and loaded.
2) Figure out how the characters (player and NPCs) need to be represented on the map
3) Figure out how to draw the entire map, including background tiles, characters, shadows/shading, etc.
4) Figure out how movement and bounds-checking will be implemented, including for battles. Will characters be constrained to tiles or be able to roam freely?

While they're doing this, everyone else can hammer out "what should the game BE ABOUT". After all, that's a DESIGNER's job. It's also their job to create or provide the tilemaps once they agree on setting, which should just "snap in" into the code that the "core programmers" had established.

Plots, subplots, etc. are all superfluous at the early stage of the game, IMO.

Unrelated EDIT:

Næssén, in this thread posted a link to a project on code.google.com. Maybe that would be a good place to setup a temporary repository?

Albin Engström
Member #8,110
December 2006

bamccaig said:

The gameplay elements have been done before many times. To truly make it enjoyable there has to be a story for the player to get interested in. Figure out the story first and then design a game around it second. IMHO.

No noé!. You are clearly underestimating the gameplay part! >:(, the gameplay must be tweaked into near perfection where every element is taken into consideration when planing the other elements.

Just beacuse you've made the player able to jump dosen't mean the jump is good. I don't like it when people simply skip the gameplay tweaking beacuse "it's done". Gameplay is what makes a game, if this where an adventure game then maybe story would have played a bigger role, but I don't think this kind of game can get away with crappy gameplay.

Hear me roar!

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

Albin Engström said:

Just beacuse you've made the player able to jump doesn't mean the jump is good. I don't like it when people simply skip the gameplay tweaking beacuse "it's done".

I agree totally. But no one is saying "just throw together some crap and call it finished." In my experience, you start out with that just to get the functionality working. Then you tweak, improve, adjust, and otherwise fine-tune it and hone it to perfection after everything is coming together.

That's the difference between the role of a "programmer" and a "developer". The programmer just needs to make it work; the developer needs to make it work well.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Games don't have to have a rigid form of creation. Having a general concept of the story is like having a physical art concept drawn where everybody can go "oh, I see now!" It's fine if the story is only at madlib level, the actual scene by scene description of the story can easily be "overdoing it." This is why I suggested some story and some gameplay concepts for discussion.

23's post above presents a pretty good understanding of the flow of the game, with room for the designers to fill in the specifics.

------------

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

I do think that what we have now, gameplay-wise, is enough to start work on code. The finer details of story aren't important to the code, or shouldn't be--it's just a matter of writing the right cutscenes.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
C++: An octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.
I am the Lightning-Struck Penguin of Doom.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The point is you can't develop until you design. If you rush the coding you'll end up with people not knowing what they're doing and just making it up as they go.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

We have enough to go on to start coding, and I think we should. Actual progress will help keep up our motivation to work on this project.

Speaking of working on the project, maybe we should begin deciding who will do what. I'm willing to do anything needed as long as it's within my abilities.

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

I'll do anything I know how, as long as we're making progress.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
C++: An octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.
I am the Lightning-Struck Penguin of Doom.

Gr4|\|f
Member #9,499
February 2008

Wow, this is not something I want to be left out of. :)

Too late to join?

Ping me @ 127.0.0.1

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

Gr4|\|f said:

Wow, this is not something I want to be left out of. :)

You're welcome to participate, either in design or development.

Go to: