Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Happy Easter everyone!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Happy Easter everyone!
LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

Jesus both died and was resurrected at this time of year. We aren't quite sure what to do so we just paint eggs and pretend we know why.

The eggs have nothing to do with christianity, and in fact pre-date it.

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

You have to applaud these guys for effort.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

do people actually do anything for Easter?

My family generally has an easter dinner or two.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I was going to see The Passion of the Christ on the big screens at my church, but I forgot I had volunteered myself to lead a Zul'Aman raid tomorrow. :( Ah well ....

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

BTW 23:

There is a BBC/HBO mini-series called The Passion showing on the BBC here. Looking at the last days of Jesus. It's interesting in that it explores the socio-political world at the time rather than making the characters appears one dimensional.

You might find it interesting. :)

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

I am Buddhist, so easter really doesn't apply to me, but it is very important to my mum, so we have compromised. She gets me a card from Oxfam, where a 3rd world family gets a chicken, which will lay eggs. Well, actually, every family in a village gets a chicken from a different card sold, and the village gets a rooster to share. According to the card a family managed to breed up 25 chickens in 5 months.

My faith requires me to respect other faiths and religions, so if you believe in Jesus, have a happy Jesus-Isn't-Dead-Day.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Easter is a nice 4-day weekend. Now if i only could afford staying drunk the whole time...

You don't deserve my sig.

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

@ Timorg
maybe not as christian easter .. but almost all religions celebrate spring in some way.. buddhism not ?

Quote:

My faith requires me to respect other faiths and religions

something other religions should take over !

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

What if you are not religious but have a spiritual belief? :-/

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

Then tell me, what is your belief ?

maybe you just have not found a religion that fits

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Surely it should be the other way around.. not trying to fit your beliefs to a religion!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Surely it should be the other way around.. not trying to fit your beliefs to a religion!

Quite. Organized religion (imo) is mostly stupid. What really matters is faith.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Quote:

Why not? Religions are made by men, for men. It makes sense to try and find the one that suits your beliefs. :)

Btw... Happy Easter!

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

And if you don't find one that's quite right? ;)

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

You make one yourself!

Or change one of the major ones to suite you!

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

Quote:

I earn enough to be able to afford not to work over easter :P

I earn enough and more than most people my age without overtime, but there is never enough.:P

IMO, unless you're making +180k a year, you're probably not making more than enough.

-----------------
I'm hell of an awesome guy :)

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

Ariesnl said:

@ Timorg
maybe not as christian easter .. but almost all religions celebrate spring in some way.. buddhism not ?

I do celebrate spring, I usually plant a tree, but that doesn't start until September in Australia.

Some Buddhists celebrate new year around now, I cant seem to find exactly when, but I did that last month, (Losar.)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Ariesnl: Why don't you tell me what you believe and I'll see what I agree with? :)

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

I'm a witch, some time ago I posted some explanation I'll quote it here:

Quote:

So how do witches see the world?
There is more than just molecules and physics. In essence we are spirits (now and here) in a physical form.

For life (and other things) to flourish there has to be balance between 5 "Elements" The interwoven line of a pentagram referes to that.
- Earth: The physical world, Matter, The earth itself, Food, possesions.

- Water: The emotional world, Water (Oceans),Adapting to things.

- Air : The world of plain knowledge, Air, Wisdom, Wind

- Fire : Willpower, Energy, passion, the sun, the "fire" in your body
(If you don't "burn" anything your a dead man)

- Spirit: The essence of who you are, your morals, your "ego" but also the greater spirit of Mother earth.
As withches think the last one is the most important, a pentagram (pentackle) is worn with one point up

If you look at the world in a bigger of smaller "level" things will repeat themselves
( Now a sientific fact !)

Things are in vibration (repeating movement) for example Tides and seasons

"Earth is "frozen" fire" Matter and energy are interchangable

All things are connected like a clockwork, change/destroy one thing and the whole system will change or even fail
( almost a sientific fact !)

Nature has a will of it's own.
There are 2 sentient powers in nature, a God and a Godess

As for the ten commandments, you can live to all ten of them and still treat people (or others) verry bad.
Witches only have one "commandment" DO NO HARM !
It brings responsibillity and having to think over your actions. But it is a clear mesage.

What is Wicca ?

In the 1950's Gerald Gardner "made" a new religion and he borrowed a lot of things from Witchcraft.
He also added a hierarchy in his new religion. Witches don't believe in "All follow the big leader" and history has proven we where right.

Is Wicca bad (or evil)?
No !, as any religion it has some good things. It opened up the discussion about pagan religions.
The only problem is they (mostly) call themselve witches wich adds to the confusion.

Other religions:

Witches strongly feel that everyone should be free to choose his / her religion.
And as long as a religion doesn't enslave or restrict people, or make people unhappy, one religion is as good as the other.

There is a lot more to tell about witchcraft but I hope I made some things clear, at least to those who want to know

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

At the risk of upsetting the resident trolls.. ;)

I believe in the spirit aspect based on experiences I have had and not what I have been told or read. As to how much of the spirit aspect, I am still not sure.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Happy Easter!

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Quote:

do people actually do anything for Easter?

Easter is all about getting as many chocolate easter eggs as you can :)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Quote:

but there is never enough.:P

How true. But I can't decide if they're wise or greedy words ;D

[back on topic]
The in-laws are in town (not staying with us 'cos they don't want to be a burden with us and our 5 week old). We're planning on doing a little treasure type hunt, and with clues that'll lead to other clues around the house/garden and so on, with the occasional small egg, leading to a bigger chocolate egg or bunny.

[edit]
Hey Mr Phipps, maybe you are missing the Christian gene?:D

[edit 2]
Fixed typo.

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

Jeff Bernard
Member #6,698
December 2005

Quote:

Hey Mr Phipps, maybe you are missing the Cristian gene [glumbert.com]?

Wait, what? Oh... you're supposed to swap the words 'christian' and 'gay/homosexual'.

--
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

1   2   3 

Go to: