Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » System Requirement

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
System Requirement
Allegro Suck
Member #9,230
November 2007

Like the topic stated, if i develop a game, how do i check the minimum requirement for the game? I just wonder how the game developers at the big companies determine those minimum and recomended system requirement for the games they developed. I mean hardware requirement like 1Ghz CPU speed, 512Mb RAM etcetera.???

=================================================

My First Game

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

Guess and check.

You can make your guesses a bit more educated based off how well your game runs on your machine and how much memory it should be using, but it all boils down to guess and check.

Allegro Suck
Member #9,230
November 2007

How about the memory usage showed at the windows task manager? Can that be considered as the RAM used by the program?:)

My First Game

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

It could be considered the absolute minimum when at its greatest, I suppose.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I think a better suggestion is testing on as many platforms as you can and estimating the system requirements. It would also come from understanding the APIs you've implemented and their compatibility with hardware. :-/

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Test on the platforms you can and make some estimates. If it runs flawlessly on a 1GHz P3 with 256MB of RAM running Windows XP but a little skippy on a 450MHz P3 with 64MB of RAM, meet it half way and set the minimum requirements to a 733MHz P3 w/128MB of RAM.

If you don't have any other platforms available you could try clocking down your own system.

RAM requirements are more subjective these days than they use to be.. when I boot my windows xp system it has a memory footprint of about 90MB. When I boot up customer PCs they often have a memory footprint of 380MB or even higher, with Vista it gets much higher. So many systems are running ridiculous amounts of background processes, most of which the users don't even know about. If their system is consuming 384MB and they have 512MB of total system ram, I have more available system RAM than them if my system only has 256MB. They only have 128MB available while I have 166MB. :D

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Allegro Suck
Member #9,230
November 2007

Ok I see, Thanks for the reply.;D Anyway, how should i view the other pages of this forum? Because i can only view the first page of the forum for every category. The page number shown at top right doesnt seems clickable. :'(

My First Game

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Pages? What pages? :P

Anyway, use a better browser.

Allegro Suck
Member #9,230
November 2007

Ya! You are right, Evert.
After switching to firefox, the page number is now clickable, thanks!:D

My First Game

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Allegro Suck ;D

Get it? Quick, lively suck?

;D

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

wtf? First we get anti-Gentoo trolls hijacking every third thread, now we have this?

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

I'm sorry :-/

--

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I'm talking about "Allegro Suck" the user, not you. I wasn't referring to your joke, which I did get btw.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

We should ban him. Wait, no, let's kill him ! ;D

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Quote:

wtf? First we get anti-Gentoo trolls hijacking every third thread, now we have this?

That was the first thing I was asking myself when I saw this thread.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

Yeah! Any WTF is with all the Gentoo bashing?!? Linux was born a source based OS...Yes, Gentoo has it's problems, but so does every other system I have ever used. You just have to pick one that has the fewest problems you are willing to work with (or against). I personally like being in control of a lot of the system. Most of the BIN distros have a hard time when it comes to recompiling the kernel...ok, maybe not the kernel, but the modules. The best BIN distro I've used so far has been OpenSuSE 10.3 from Novell. I have also tried Fedora Core, Debian, (K/U)buntu, and Slax.

--
"Everyone tells me I should forget about you, you don’t deserve me. They’re right, you don’t deserve me, but I deserve you."
"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

hahaha i didnt even have to make a gimmick post itt8-)

Quote:

I personally like being in control of a lot of the system. Most of the BIN distros have a hard time when it comes to recompiling the kernel...ok, maybe not the kernel, but the modules. The best BIN distro I've used so far has been OpenSuSE 10.3 from Novell. I have also tried Fedora Core, Debian, (K/U)buntu, and Slax.

Or you just dont know what you're doing.

-----------------
I'm hell of an awesome guy :)

Allegro Suck
Member #9,230
November 2007

Haha, looks like my nickname causes a lot of misunderstanding;D. Actually nickname doesn't imply anything, it's not like I put my nickname as "God" and must mean that I am a God. Don't believe? Check whole forum to see whether I have post any allegro-bashing thread. Why should I waste my valuable time to do some worthless bashing, right? Anyway, I surf AllegroGL website today and found the website showing unusual content at the main page. Is it just me or the website has been hacked????

My First Game

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

With that nick and avatar you don't need to do any deliberate Allegro bashing threads. You do it every time you post. It's like running into a crowd of neo-nazis while yelling: "Stop nazi..."

"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Ron Ofir
Member #2,357
May 2002

Is it only me, or did Nazis/Hitler become a very common subject for metaphors lately?

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

--

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

EDIT: curse my "leaving the computer and thinking the thread is still as i left it"-mentality

Allegro Suck
Member #9,230
November 2007

Ok ok, since you guys hate me so much I wouldn't release my game which is written in AllegroGL anymore.:'(

My First Game

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Ron: sorry, it was first thing that came to my mind. Because yesterday there were demonstrations here, because bunch of neo-nazis wanted to go through the Old Town. You may guess why. You may also guess why there were demonstrations and why there were so many neo-nazis wounded (anachists and anti-nazis were in majority...).

Ron Ofir
Member #2,357
May 2002

Quote:

You may guess why. You may also guess why there were demonstrations and why there were so many neo-nazis wounded

Because they're a bunch of ignorant assholes? >:(

1   2 

Go to: