Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Chrysler's view on Global Warming..

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Chrysler's view on Global Warming..
gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Some day I will write an extension that turns all mentions of "terrorist" into "witch". It should give people a better sense of risk assessment.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Blaming carbon dioxide from fossil fuels is dumb.

I thought we were running out... People just can't seem to figure out what issues to freak out over.

Kauhiz
Member #4,798
July 2004

Quote:

I thought we were running out...

Out of oil, that is. Fossil fuels != oil. Besides, all the more reason to cut back on the consumption.

---
It's Ridge Racer! RIIIIIDGE RAAAAACER!

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

I give up.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Quote:

Last time I checked those things aren't much of a concern to me personally.

YOu don't care about America's witch enemies? I hope you drown in melted ice caps! /me lights a $1 bill

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Quote:

I hope you drown in melted ice caps!

No I won't. I'll be buried under few km's of ice instead once the Gulf seam stops.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

We are already fitting our Sekrit Island Nuclear Engines so we can move to avoid climate problems. :)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

Out of oil, that is.

Or rather, "oil that we know of and can easily reach." There is so much petrol in the ground that it's very unlikely that we'll run out in any foreseeable future.

*Of course, take that with a grain of salt because I don't recall where I read that. I don't claim to be an expert on the subject.

The issue is that we are very stupidly throwing tons of CO2 into the atmosphere burning petrol. Ideally, we'd have a bunch of nuclear (or equally high-output) powerplants and all "remote" power would be electric or some other "clean" form of work. The problem with cars and our current train-of-thought is that we have all of these miniature powerplants running around (our cars) instead of a few very large and high-efficiency ones. I mean, who would you trust: a powerplant with a team of people who's sole job is to make sure it complies with regulations, or millions of people who don't even bother checking their oil let alone emissions. Additionally, more expensive emissions equipment can be had on small-quanity large-output machines whereas it's not as viable on cars (like that fact that powerplants run very constant RPM and cars do not).

I know I haven't bothered checking if my catalytic converter is up to par. But most people don't even know what it is, let alone that they might have to change it.

p.s. Yeah, it's very poorly constructed, but I've got PIZZA to attend! ;D

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Quote:

Blaming carbon dioxide from fossil fuels is dumb.

You DO know what happens when you burn something right? CO2 comes out as a byproduct, do you know what CO2 is? It's a greenhouse gas...

I couldn't tell if you were joking or not.

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

You DO know what happens when you burn something right? CO2 comes out as a byproduct, ...

Well... that's only if you burn something containing carbon. But I'm just nitpicking. :) Acetylene, yes. Hydrogen, no. Then again, there are other greenhouses gases then CO2.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

You nitpicker, I'm sure he got our( collective) point.

Fladimir da Gorf
Member #1,565
October 2001

science.slashdot.org said:

"Condoms don't belong in school, and neither does Al Gore. He's not a schoolteacher," said Frosty Hardison, a parent of seven who also said that he believes the Earth is 14,000 years old.

:D

OpenLayer has reached a random SVN version number ;) | Online manual | Installation video!| MSVC projects now possible with cmake | Now alvailable as a Dev-C++ Devpack! (Thanks to Kotori)

Kauhiz
Member #4,798
July 2004

How do people like that get to have seven kids?

---

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Has any of you seen the movie Idiocracy? That's what is going to happen when people like those have seven kids and people like us have only a couple, if any.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

By believing that birth control is a sin.

Kauhiz
Member #4,798
July 2004

Quote:

Yeah, but how do they get to keep them? :P I don't mean to offend anyone, but

Quote:

The information that's being presented is a very cockeyed view of what the truth is ... The Bible says that in the end times everything will burn up, but that perspective isn't in the DVD.

Come on! Seriously? I mean, sure you can have your beliefs, but that's just stupid. This guy actually expects Al Gore to end his lecture by saying "Well, on the other hand the Bible does say that it gets really hot in the end, so maybe that's what's going on."

I don't get how religious fanatics have absolutely no tolerance for anything but their own beliefs, yet they expect everyone else to agree to them. I just love how Joe Nobody knows The Truth, unlike the people who study this stuff for a living. If that's what you believe, go ahead, but at least give your children a chance.

---

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Quote:

I'm more worried about real threats like bio-attacks, nukes, something creative a terrorist might come up with etc.

It's funny, THAT doesn't worry me at all.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

Quote:

That's a pretty shallow understanding of large families. I'm the sixth child of nine and my parents had me because they wanted me, not because they were opposed to birth control. :P

Quote:

Yeah, but how do they get to keep them? :P

Fortunately in America, we have free speech and beliefs. For example, we can say that the Holocaust never happened without being put in jail. We can say that condoms and Al Gore don't belong in school and keep our children!

Yes, there are a lot of extremists out there who make for great quotes, but it really doesn't matter. I believe that diversity is more healthy than blinded belief in a central premise, and if that means we have to put up with a few weirdos, then that's fine with me.

Kauhiz
Member #4,798
July 2004

Well, I was kidding, hence the :P.

Quote:

Yes, there are a lot of extremists out there who make for great quotes, but it really doesn't matter. I believe that diversity is more healthy than blinded belief in a central premise, and if that means we have to put up with a few weirdos, then that's fine with me.

Like I said, if you want to believe that the earth is 14 000 years old, knock yourself out. But kids are inclined to believe what their parents tell them, and I think that parents should let their kids make up their own minds. Of course you can't enforce that, but I get a little ticked off when I see parents demanding that schools teach the "climate change is the overture to the apocalypse" argument. That's trying to enforce your beliefs on all the children at the school, and that's just plain wrong.

---

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

That's a pretty shallow understanding of large families

I was poking fun at the first part of the quote:

Quote:

Condoms don't belong in school, and neither does Al Gore

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Cow flatuance is a significant source of greenhouse gases, so you'd better become a vegetarian right now.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

Fortunately in America, we have free speech and beliefs. For example, we can say that the Holocaust never happened without being put in jail. We can say that condoms and Al Gore don't belong in school and keep our children!

Of course, the problem lies not in people having those ideas or expressing them in their spare time (which is fine and part of free speech), but in presenting in a public school system the idea that evolution is not a fact or that the greenhouse effect doesn't exist as science, or holocaust denial as history, etc -- when they are not. Yes, some ideas are better than others. All theories are not born equal.

It's fine to look at an issue from several viewpoints but when there simply is no credible opposition within the fields of science or history or whatever, you're just misleading those who are too young to defend themselves. There simply is no debate as to whether or not certain effects are real or not, and pretending like there are such debates is doing everyone a huge disfavor.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

so you'd better become a vegetarian right now.

Then there'd be even more cows! And I'd be out of a job.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

So the teacher (living in a country with free speech) should carefully explain that while he's required to teach cretinism, the scientific_method requires repeatable experiments, methods used to arrive at facts etc. When an astrologer says "You're going to meet someone romantically today", ask them how they arrived at that hypothesis.

History is a little tougher due to being written by the winners.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Go to: