Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Linux without re-partitioning my harddrive?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Linux without re-partitioning my harddrive?
ReyBrujo
January 2001

Download the ISO. The launch Nero, close all the wizards, and go to File/Burn Image. Choose the ISO you downloaded and done, it will create you the bootable disk (the boot information is inside the image).

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

You just tell it to burn from an iso. The iso already has the information to be bootable.

Note: if you uncompress the iso to modify config files as ReyBrujo said, the you'll need to manually make it bootable. An easy thing to do this is burn the original iso (or use a cd emulator and mount it) and extract the boot sector from the cd (edit: to extract the boot sector you can use isobuster). When you create a bootable CD with nero, it'll ask you for the boot sector image.

aybabtu
Member #2,891
November 2002

Cool. I think I will definitely download the DSL and burn to a CD.
I tried the 2 disk xwindows, but it didn't work (or at least I think it's not working). The Linux loads, and I login as "root". I then type "xwin", it asks me for my mouse type (I typed "3" for a bus mouse...because mine is USB). It then gives me a big list of video modes. I type something like 0x114 to set 800x600x16. It appears to set the video mode, but then I'm taken right back into the linux command line thingy. I'm assuming this isn't what's supposed to happen (I'm expecting some sort of GUI?), but I could be wrong.
Anyway, the DSL sounds better anyway.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

bus mouse is not usb :P it is some speicla thing... you'd be better off using a ps2 mouse or turning on legacy mode in your bios

ReyBrujo
January 2001

I downloaded this version, which fits in 1 diskette. Mounted the image on the VMWare diskette and booted. Detected CD rom, DVD rom, then entered into X, black and white. Resolution? Absolutely no idea. 320x200 maybe. Attached a couple of pics.

(The first one is the menu with click, the second is the browser). You just kill X and then log as root, and play a bit (very bit) around.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

aybabtu
Member #2,891
November 2002

BAF: Huh...maybe that would be what's causing my error. Although, I have no working PS/2 mouse of my own...

ReyBrujo: That's just disgusting! I'll try it, though!:P

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

for your mouse, use type: "IMPS/2" and device: /dev/input/mice (will allow you to actually remove your mouse and have it still work when pluged back in, or use more than one at a time if you want.)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I could burn a bunch of distros and send em to you if you want too...

ReyBrujo
January 2001

I have been trying to set up the internet connection in that one-diskette distribution, to post a screenshot of Allegro through that browser :D But couldn't, there is no eth0 nor any other networking device detected :(

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

floppy isnt enough room for eth0

razor
Member #2,256
April 2002

I use DSL sometimes, its cool, if you want more stuff for it you can download packages that will load. I did all that and set myself up a nice mini-cd that has DSL with gcc and a few other things.

Whoooo Oregon State University

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

If you would like to have a full-scale linux on cd then you should check out http://www.ubuntulinux.org/. If you fill out the form they'll send you the cd's for free. I personally haven't ordered(happy with my gentoo:P) but I know a lot of people who have. It takes some time though, about 2-3 weeks perhaps.

Quote:

The Ubuntu team will send you Ubuntu CDs at no charge, for you to install and share. We will cover the cost of shipping the CDs to you as well. If you would like to receive Ubuntu CDs, please create a new account and tell us where to send the CDs and how many CDs You would like to receive. We promise that we will never send spam to your email address, and never sell or give away your information.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

I ordered it a month and a half ago. I think they stopped until getting more. SUSE delivered DVDs for free as well, but they don't anymore.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

aybabtu
Member #2,891
November 2002

Hey! I borrowed my brother's serial mouse, and got 2 disk x-windows working. I also got my hard drive mounted. (I attached a screenshot)

Is it just me (or my version), or is X-Windows really ugly? I suppose there's nothing I can do about it with this little crap version of linux?

Also, what exactly makes this Linux fit on 2 floppies? I imagine it just has the very bare-bones stuff? Or is the OS itself crippled (and doesn't do a lot of the stuff that, say, DSL would be able to do)?

Thomas said:

for your mouse, use type: "IMPS/2" and device: /dev/input/mice (will allow you to actually remove your mouse and have it still work when pluged back in, or use more than one at a time if you want.)

That will make my USB mouse work? And where would I type that? Just at the "root:" thing? I guess my Linux may be different from yours, since mine is just the half-as$ version ;).

BAF said:

I could burn a bunch of distros and send em to you if you want too...

Like which ones? Anything with X-WIndows? I think I like the X-Windows (although at least my version looks like crap...plus the way it brings windows into focus is a little hard to get used to!)

HoHo said:

If you would like to have a full-scale linux on cd then you should check out http://www.ubuntulinux.org/.

That looks cool, thanks! I'm all about free stuff!

Quote:

I ordered it a month and a half ago. I think they stopped until getting more.

You talkin' about the ubuntulinux? If so, that sucks.:P

ReyBrujo
January 2001

aybabtu said:

Is it just me (or my version), or is X-Windows really ugly? I suppose there's nothing I can do about it with this little crap version of linux?

Indeed, what you can expect ;) But think about it. Thanks to that kind of resolution it is possible to run Linux on Game Boy Advance, in example :)

Yes. The root prompt asks you for extra arguments to initialize the Linux kernel. I am not sure if that will work, though.

aybabtu said:

Also, what exactly makes this Linux fit on 2 floppies? I imagine it just has the very bare-bones stuff? Or is the OS itself crippled (and doesn't do a lot of the stuff that, say, DSL would be able to do)?

It includes only the minimun programs you need (ls, pwd, cat, etc). When you compile the kernel, you can add or remove features, or make those features load as modules (kind of DLLs under Windows). By removing the absolutely innecessary stuff (video drivers, sound, networking, etc, etc, etc) you reduce the kernel size.

aybabtu said:

Like which ones? Anything with X-WIndows? I think I like the X-Windows (although at least my version looks like crap...plus the way it brings windows into focus is a little hard to get used to!)

Yes, most distributions come with an X server. Knoppix is the distribution you need to run it without installing. It is a bit hard to get used to X-Windows (the basic Window Manager does not have start button, but instead you click and, anywhere you click, you get the "start" menu).

Anyway, your screenshots are not bad at all :) And it helps you get used to the "natural" X system. Getting used to a system like KDE or Gnome with the "start" button is easier, better getting used to the original one while you can ;)

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

aybabtu
Member #2,891
November 2002

Quote:

Yes. The root prompt asks you for extra arguments to initialize the Linux kernel. I am not sure if that will work, though.

Hmmm...a little confused...what will it let me do? (And what are the (or at least some to try) arguments?)

Quote:

Anyway, your screenshots are not bad at all

Ah! But everything's so bland! And that purple background color is just vomit-inducing! :P

Quote:

It includes only the minimun programs you need

Could I go out and download programs and just run them off of my harddrive? I suppose a issue would be what distribution would I download for?

Quote:

Getting used to a system like KDE or Gnome with the "start" button is easier, better getting used to the original one while you can

Yeah, I suppose...
So is there anything I can change to make my "original" X-Windows not look so disgusting? I suppose I don't mind the absence of a Start button...but the colors and windows look bad IMO.

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Some people from Estonia got their cd's last week. I think they ordered them a bit more than one month ago. If it's free it doesn't hurt to try ordering them. If they're out then you haven't lost a thing

aybabtu
Member #2,891
November 2002

Well, looks like I ordered a CD...hope it works!

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Quote:

Any of them! Just tell me what you want, and i can download it and burn it.... i can download a linux iso in about 20 minutes, might as well help out those who aren't fortunate enough to be able to download it :P

And it ins't x-windows that looks like crap. It is the WM (window manager) you are using. KDE looks a lot better, but it also is a LOT bigger :P

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Hmm... just found the Free Linux CD site.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

they don't have any cds to ship though

[edit]Carrus85 just told me about this
May wanna check it out :)

[edit2]
1gb of isos :P
I'll burn it and send it to you if you pay shipping :)

aybabtu
Member #2,891
November 2002

Quote:

I'll burn it and send it to you if you pay shipping

How much would it cost? I don't have a lot of money..only like $5 in cash... :P

Quote:

And it ins't x-windows that looks like crap. It is the WM (window manager) you are using. KDE looks a lot better, but it also is a LOT bigger

So, is there anything I can do? Can I download KDE? Or am I stuck untill I get a "real" linux?

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Hmm... I think I can ship a single CD for less than a dollar from here. I will burn you Knoppix 3.6 (the latest stable is 3.7), which is the one I have already downloaded, and send it tomorrow. It should arrive in a week, maybe two (remember, it is a long way from here ;)). I have Verbatim, Ridata, Teltron and Imation, if you have preference for any of those CDs, tell me. And at which speed you want the CD burned (my old computer could not read CDs burned faster than 12x).

X-Windows can be downloaded from XFree86. KDE and Gnome are the best window manager (though I prefer something simpler like TWM or AfterStep).

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Carrus85
Member #2,633
August 2002

Heh, topologilinux is pretty cool! I actually have it up and running on my system. In fact, here is a screenie: http://carrus85.homelinux.org/images/topolinux.png topologilinux.

Works pretty nice, if I do say so myself.

Oh, and yes I noticed the linux time was different than the system time. I fixed it (no timezone defined on linux)... ;D

EDIT:

And just so you know I'm not lying, here is the image for my actual, full desktop. It even has the top portion of this post in it!

http://carrus85.homelinux.org/images/topolinux_full.png topologilinux fullscreen

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I dunno, probably a couple dollars. You don't live in the US, do you?

1   2   3 

Go to: