Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Linux without re-partitioning my harddrive?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Linux without re-partitioning my harddrive?
aybabtu
Member #2,891
November 2002

I've lately been having an interest in Linux again...just something to break up the monotony of windows98 all the time, ya know?::)
Anyway, that also brings me to a problem...I'd like to be able to use some version (or distribution?) of linux that runs on the same harddrive as my Win98se. I think i've seen such a thing on the internet, and I don't remember why I didn't download it before...anyway...;D
The thing is, I got BasicLinux to try it out about a year ago...I got my floppy drive and I think cd rom drive mounted, but of course, BasicLinux wouldn't mount my FAT32 hard drive :P(I think it had support for FAT16 or something, though).
Also, if I can find such a linux, that would be great, but also...I sort of like the idea of GUIs...any good ones I would look into? I occasionally hear some names dropped around here, but I can't think of them right now...(X-Windows?)...

Thank you all!

ReyBrujo
January 2001

You can use Knoppix, which runs directly from the CD. Or you can use FIPS, (first interactive partition system I think) which allows you to create partitions without losing your data. But it is for DOS only. Or you can use Partition Magic for Windows.

Basically, you do a scandisk to all your disk to detect corrupted sectors, then defragment the disk to move all the data to the front of the hard disk, then use any of those programs, creating a partition using the free space that is left at the end of the disk.

There are some distributions that can be run in a directory under Windows, but if you are going to try that, much, much better to use Knoppix.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

aybabtu
Member #2,891
November 2002

So, I have to burn Knoppix to a CD, or order a CD?

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Yup

aybabtu
Member #2,891
November 2002

Uh...both work? I'll do some googlin' ;D

Edit:
No way am I downloading a 700mb file at 4.5kbps :o

Cody Harris
Member #4,406
March 2004

There's a distro of Linux which you can install on a fat32, right on the same partition as Windows...

I just don't know what it's called :P

700mb, just let it run for a few days, and forward you calls to your cell phone.

---------------------------------
Homepage - Art (Photography)
I'm QBasicer on #allegro on Freenode.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

redhat will literally allow you to create a 1GB or greater binary file on any FAT32 partition which you can boot into without any partitioning. The only bad part about it is that it makes you have to use a boot disk... which is no fun... and it's slower.

aybabtu
Member #2,891
November 2002

I think my limit for downloading stuff is anything under 60 mb. I have a download manager that lets me break up the download, so I can download it a bit at a time. I'm downloading a 56mb file right now...but 700 would take over 50 hours. I'm not about to do that. :o:P;D

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Time ago, say, 7 years ago, I remember buying Slackware 2.0 (I think). It came with something called "slackzip" or something like that. It was a 50mb or so file which you extracted in a Windows DOS, configured autoexec.bat and some other files, and allowed you to "boot" that directory. Performance is horrible, though.

If you want, you can try DSL (DamnSmallLinux). It is a Linux distribution based on Debian that can fit in a 128 USB drive. I suppose you could burn it into a CD and boot from there, though you won't have GCC or several other utilities.

(Edited: The dsl-0.9.2.iso iso image is just 50mb. Note that this is a link to a file in a ftp, which might be removed when replacing it with a newer version. Better to go to the site and check the latest version from there).

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Cody Harris
Member #4,406
March 2004

That's just over 2 days.

No biggie.

---------------------------------
Homepage - Art (Photography)
I'm QBasicer on #allegro on Freenode.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Yeah Cody, it is a disclaimer, if somebody finds this thread in a year ;)

I just tried it. It is a stripped down Knoppix distribution of 50mb. It has Firefox 0.9.1, Pathetic Writer (text editor) 3.5.7, Siag (spreadsheet) 3.5.7, XPaint 2.6.2, Sylpheed 0.9.3, AxY FTP 0.5.1, VNC Viewer and XMMS and some other utilities. It does not have compiler, nor man pages (the man command actually opens links to a URL I guess must be the online man).

Uses kernel 2.4.26. The window manager seems to be something like Fluxbox (never used it, but seems agreeable).

I mounted the iso in my VMWare, using one which already had Win95 installed and worked fine. The Win95 continued working after using the ISO, so you should be able to burn the iso in a CD, and use it without fear.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

aybabtu
Member #2,891
November 2002

Would DSL let me access my harddrive? Just maybe I could make a folder just for everything linux...?

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Yes. My Win95 had FAT32 (a single hard disk, C: = 4gb), and using the command line <i>mount mnt/hda1 mounted it. And I was able to write and read from that directory without problems. If you write anything somewhere else (in example, in /home/dsl which is your starting directory) it disappears the next time you boot.

It should be possible to connect to the internet as well with it, it has the options to setup a connection, but since I am connected at this moment, could not try it out.

(Edited: Aha! Found my old ZipSlack. Here is a direct download to the zip (45mb) (same disclaimer as above, this link might become invalid in the future). According to the homepage, you download the zip, uncompress it in the top level directory -so it creates a C:\Linux, D:\Linux or something), edit a bat file, and done. But it seems it only works on Win95 and Win98, because you need to be on pure DOS to launch it. I anyways recommend DSL, it is newer and will not write anything to your hard disk unless you mount it).

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Carrus85
Member #2,633
August 2002

I recently ran into this. From what I understand, it requires a restart to install, but it will run from within windows (basically, run linux in the background as a linux program). It looked pretty cool, I just haven't had any time to use it yet.

I'm downloading the ISO's right now to give it a run.

The cool part is that you can even connect to a X session using VNC! Hehe! ;D

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Hmm... interesting, I will download it too. But since the demo is 300mb and the full version 2 cd's, maybe aybabtu won't be able to download it.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

There is a user mode linux port to windows....

If you pay shipping, i'd be happy to burn you a distro or 2 and send it to you... most of those have non-destructive repartitioning in the installer too.

aybabtu
Member #2,891
November 2002

In DSL:
What if I wrote a file to something like mnt/hda1/mydir ? That won't be erased, will it? And exactly where on the harddrive is it written? Would it create a "folder" in windows (well, that could be seen in windows) called Mydir?
I've never dealt with this sort of thing, so please forgive my stupidity! ;D;D

I'm going to download DLS probably...once my current file is done!:P

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

No way am I downloading a 700mb file at 4.5kbps :o

You can get linux distros that boot off a floppy. Search for "floppy linux" on google. I really wish I remember the name of one a friend showed me. It had a windows-like GUI, tools, and everything (on a single floppy!).

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

aybabtu
Member #2,891
November 2002

I think I'm going to just go ahead and get the DSL. Although, what the hell do I do with this "ISO" (wtf?) once I download it? ???:D

Quote:

You can get linux distros that boot off a floppy.

BasicLinux booted off of 2 floppies, that was cool, but I could only save things to a floppy, because it wouldn't mount my harddrive! Sure, I could save all I wanted (up to 4mb anyway) to it's pathetic RAM drive....but I need more! (for what, I'm not sure:()

ReyBrujo
January 2001

But those floppy distributions don't offer X for sure.

Quote:

What if I wrote a file to something like mnt/hda1/mydir ? That won't be erased, will it? And exactly where on the harddrive is it written? Would it create a "folder" in windows (well, that could be seen in windows) called Mydir?

Yes, you can create C:\Linux under Windows, and then everytime you work on Linux, save the files in /mnt/hda1/Linux, so that next time they will stay there. It won't be erased, unless you erase it by hand.

When you mount /mnt/hda1, it is the equivalent for C:\. So, from Linux you will see autoexec.bat, and directories like Windows, Program Files, etc. DSL does not create anything, it does not touch your hard disk at all. You must mount it, then create the directories and files you want. I think, once you get the ISO, you can decompress it, modify the files (in example, so that it automounts the /mnt/hda1 and loads the /mnt/hda1/linux/profile file with your personal profile instead of loading the default /etc/profile, and then burn this modified version which is "configured for you". But the default will be useful for you.

Once you download the ISO file, use a CD burner program like Alcohol 120%, Nero, EasyCD Pro or Burn4Free (I don't think this one runs on W9x, sorry) to burn the iso image into a CD. The ISO is bootable, so after you burn it, you can modify your setup so that it boots first from CD-Rom, and if none found, from the hard disk.

I think you can download Bochs, from Sourceforge, and boot that CD on a virtual machine (at Bochs page you can download the Bochs program, plus some 10mb or so Debian ISO files I think, that can be used by Bochs).

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

But those floppy distributions don't offer X for sure.

Its not 1 disk, but its close

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Quote:

what the hell do I do with this "ISO"

Burn it to a CD?

Avenger
Member #4,550
April 2004

Well, I have the same problem, only worse. I want to put Linux onto my XP computer:-/

aybabtu
Member #2,891
November 2002

TF said:

Its not 1 disk, but its close

Hey...I may look into that...seeems pretty easy to set up...

William said:

Burn it to a CD?

So, I'm using Nero, so I would tell it to burn a "Bootable CD"? I assume so, just checking, though. And that would be it?

1   2   3 

Go to: