Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » RPG

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
RPG
Eradicor
Member #2,992
December 2002

How many of you guys want to customize your character stats, such as class, outlook, etc etc in the beginning of the game or are is it ok if there is just "some" guy.

| Visit The site |
{Creating realms from dreams since 1995}

Carrus85
Member #2,633
August 2002

It really depends on the game.

In Dungeon siege, you customize your apperance, and your actions throughout the game determine what class you become (if you can call them classes).

Neverwinter Nights and other DND games require you to choose at the beginning and stick with it. Kindof annoying in my opinion, because I usually restart several times until I get the character class I like.

Final Fantasy XI allows you to choose a class at the beginning of the game, but you can change your class later if you so wish, or even take a completely different class and combine it with your current class.

It really depends on the game and how the inner mechanics work.

Eradicor
Member #2,992
December 2002

Ok. So in generally it is good to have adjustable character..

| Visit The site |
{Creating realms from dreams since 1995}

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

You could try something like Tibia or Dark Ages where you choose your class later on when you level up.

juvinious
Member #5,145
October 2004

In respect to the rules of D&D, changing class is not a option for humanoid and mixed breed characters (i.e. elves, dwarves, half-orc, half-elven, etc. etc.). Likewise humans do not have the ability to be multi-classed characters.
In any event if you introduce changing classes in your RPG I suggest you impose restrictions and/or penalties for doing so. If not the changing classes bit will probably get out of hand and/or abused for convenience, power and/or can lead to ruined campaigns.

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Didn't those rules change in the 3rd edition of AD&D rules?

juvinious
Member #5,145
October 2004

3rd addition changed lots of stuff, but most of the core and original stuff is partly intact. :-/
Multi-Classed and dual-classed character rules are the same.
But that can't stop a DM from granting a player a wish, but usually a good DM would veer from that, impose severe penalties, and/or make an example out of him/her to show the rest of the campaign that he isn't f***ing around.

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Quote:

But that can't stop a DM from granting a player a wish, but usually a good DM would veer from that, impose severe penalties, and/or make an example out of him/her to show the rest of the campaign that he isn't f***ing around.

Are you really sensitive about dual-classing and multiclassing? :-/

juvinious
Member #5,145
October 2004

No because it is in the rules and they are fine:
Humans: Dual-Class capable
Humanoids: Multi-Class capable
I am against going against the rules for personal gain, advantage, or to hinder a campaign. But everything comes down to the DM and how well he can handle the world and the players.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

Humans: Dual-Class capable
Humanoids: Multi-Class capable

So because someone is human, they're unable to use three classes? But anything from an imp to orc to half-santainion has no problem? DnD as a role-playing system, confuses me.

Quote:

How many of you guys want to customize your character stats, such as class, outlook, etc etc in the beginning of the game or are is it ok if there is just "some" guy.

I think it's just fine to not be able to customize if it fits the game. If you're Joe Guy (tm), then you can't really change him. You're picking up at a part in his life. But if you're playing yourself, then you probably want some options.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Kanzure
Member #3,669
July 2003

My god, the lot of you are arguing about AD&D rules. :o

They're rules. :P
Go read them. :)

juvinious
Member #5,145
October 2004

Bah! :P

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I like 1 main a character that has unique stats and develops throughout the game. I don't like generic characters, or even a group of characters that you can choose from before you start the game. That's just because I like a game that has a plot, and characters that grow and change based on the plot.

guys with random stats going through missions isn't all that exciting. There has to be a reason why his magic sucks, or his weapons are weak, and then the plot takes him though that.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

So because someone is human, they're unable to use three classes? But anything from an imp to orc to half-santainion has no problem? DnD as a role-playing system, confuses me.

Humans can be any class and can reach any level within that class. Semi-human races have level restrictions and class restrictions: dwarves can't be wizards, for instance. This is already an advantage over the demi-human races.

Quote:

They're rules. :P
Go read them. :)

Actually, the AD&D rules are more like guidelines (that you'd probably do well to follow but can ignore if you so want - as long as you're conistent). The DM can always overrule whatever rule is given in the books and use houserules, but s/he has to announce that beforehand.

Quote:

I like 1 main a character that has unique stats and develops throughout the game. I don't like generic characters, or even a group of characters that you can choose from before you start the game. That's just because I like a game that has a plot, and characters that grow and change based on the plot.

I agree. Freely formed characters work well in a situation where there is a dungeon master to set the stage and shape the adventures. Computers make for very poor dungeon masters. A character with a given set of attributes works best IMO for a computer RPG, simply because it limits the number of options. And anyway, if you don't like playing a mage, then don't play a computer game that says `in this game you will play the apprentice mage Ajegxiw who...' ;)

Avenger
Member #4,550
April 2004

Morrowind gives you a lot of freedom to choose. You can choose almost everything about you...

hazul
Member #4,338
February 2004

...But, as Mark said, it leaves the plot pretty generic. Morrowind is a great game though, I'm waiting for the sequel :)

"Multiplayer is actually the best way of not programming a good AI" -ReyBrujo

Avenger
Member #4,550
April 2004

OT: The sequel is coming soon. I cant wait, so good graphics, gameplay....

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

What I want to know about the book D&D is how to determine the 'positions' of characters :-/

Quote:

I like customising my character ::)

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

What I want to know about the book D&D is how to determine the 'positions' of characters :-/

Huh? Please explain... what do you mean by positions?

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Quote:

Huh? Please explain... what do you mean by positions?

Well it is obvious that an archer / mage can attack from a distance, but how do you determine whether the melee enemy is 'close enough' to a target?

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Depends on the weapon. Weapon ranges should be listed somewhere in the equipment guide in the player's handbook. I think you can more or less assume that the range is given well enough by the length of the weapon.

We usually use a hexagonal grid with pawns on it when we do battles, and for melee range we just let one character be in range if they're on adjacent hexes. Works quite well enough. If there is a problem, I just either decide if something can or cannot be hit (depending how compassionate I am with regard to my players) or just throw some dice to make up my mind.

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Quote:

We usually use a hexagonal grid with...

I dont know if I could bring myself to playing book D&D. I play NWN (which I like), but the combat dialogue would fly! I wouldnt want to do all that dice rolling ::)

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

I dont know if I could bring myself to playing book D&D.

Well, it's not something you should feel you should do. It's a very different game, mostly. To me, pen&paper dungeons&dragons is about having fun with a bunch of people and thinking of what sort of quest and puzzles you want them to solve (I once had tremendous fun running my players through a magical maze with anti-periodic boundaries).
At least as far as I'm concerned, the emphasis is more on roleplaying your character than about getting that next quest or advancing that level - which makes it very different from a computer game.

Quote:

I wouldnt want to do all that dice rolling

Well, most of the dice rolling is done by the DM anyway. You get used to it though... we used to take a long time resolving combat at first, but now it moves rather quickly.
Besides, it's quite fun to see your players turn pale in situations like `ah... so you enter that dark room? Ok, lets see how dexterous you really are. Give me 1d20.'

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Quote:

the emphasis is more on roleplaying your character than about getting that next quest or advancing that level - which makes it very different from a computer game.

Did you just speak another language? :o

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

With games like D&D (and other pen&paper type games), the main point of it is roleplaying. You play the role of your character (when you talk to your friends next to you, it's usually as the character, unless the game is on hold or you specify it's out-of-character (OOC)). You go through the quests with your playing partners as your character. Whereas most computer games, the point is to control your character to get him/her/it through the game.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

1   2   3 

Go to: