I'm feeling an itch. 8-)

http://www.speedhack.allegro.cc

Update: Speedhack 2015 will happen June 26th

Arvidsson

Yeah!

Gideon Weems

Bring it.

Derezo

I'd love to but the freeing up the date will be a gamble for sure.

Dizzy Egg

I'm in! 8-)

Elias

When is it?

Bruce Perry

Why not? :)

TinoR

i will too

LennyLen

It starts in 45 minutes. Go!!!

Gideon Weems

Damn it, LennyLen! Don't make my heart jump like that.

amarillion

I'm up for it!

Mark Oates

amarillion!? :o woohooo!

Ok, let's do this!! :o;D8-):o

Ok, how do we do this?

Gideon Weems

If we've all been good this year, the SpeedHack fairy will appear and spin the rule-o-matic. In the meantime, I vote against anything from 5/4 to 5/6.

Mark Oates

{"name":"609407","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/3\/43fcce95992cf94cbf02bb150f463ab7.png","w":1024,"h":768,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/3\/43fcce95992cf94cbf02bb150f463ab7"}609407

There's also this one, but it's widescreen and doesn't look good when cropped to 1024x768
{"name":"609409","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/8\/1823c513faae8302b0d988b6a9540aca.png","w":960,"h":540,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/8\/1823c513faae8302b0d988b6a9540aca"}609409

Chris Katko

Wow, that looks good!

LennyLen

I liked the colour scheme of the one you removed more.

Edgar Reynaldo

I agree with Lenny Len, I like the fall colors (also_this_one.png) more than the purple ones.

Mark Oates

ok. :)

{"name":"609410","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/2\/72c8af63e536dd9492d6016e8fc9ea66.png","w":1024,"h":768,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/2\/72c8af63e536dd9492d6016e8fc9ea66"}609410

{"name":"609408","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/8\/a8e92d630b5ebeef65874883bd0237b7.png","w":960,"h":540,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/8\/a8e92d630b5ebeef65874883bd0237b7"}609408

Edgar Reynaldo

Nevermind. The purple ones are better. Wait, no. I can't decide now.

You have to compare them side by side :

{"name":"609410","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/2\/72c8af63e536dd9492d6016e8fc9ea66.png","w":1024,"h":768,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/2\/72c8af63e536dd9492d6016e8fc9ea66"}609410{"name":"609407","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/3\/43fcce95992cf94cbf02bb150f463ab7.png","w":1024,"h":768,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/3\/43fcce95992cf94cbf02bb150f463ab7"}609407

I may SpeedHack, if it fits my schedule. I have a week off right now!! Hint Hint!

GullRaDriel

Waiting for the dates before telling I come, but if it's ok count me in !
:-)

Mark Oates

Well, there's interest. ;)

Someone flag our fearless leader, who's bounty and endless blessings endow us with great strength and wisdom. :-*

This weekend would work for me, but that's way too soon. Usually speedhack is planned forward several weeks in advance.

If the fearless leader is not available to set thing up - do admins have privilege on the speedhack page? Otherwise we may have to go off-brand. :P Any suggestions?

Elias

doodle.com would probably work well for determining a date - but in my memory after discussing speedhack for a week or so the fearless leader will usually make a poll appear right here on this site :)

furinkan

You have my attention.

GullRaDriel

wait. I'm waiting.

Onewing

I could use a good speedhack to rejuvenate the old game development skills. I'm several years removed from any allegro development (been playing with Spritekit for iOS for the past 6 months).

If the timing is right, I might just join the festivities. :)

Dizzy Egg

Let's get a date sorted, concrete it, and get ready! I'm more than willing to produce content, whatever that may be, but someone needs to take charge and say "I'm going to make this happen".

I'll be the work horse, but I'm no director!

Arvidsson

I got so excited I started to tinker with my framework using the fresh from the oven 5.1.10 binaries!

Mark Oates

I got so excited I started to tinker with my framework using the fresh from the oven 5.1.10 binaries!

Same here ;D

Matthew Leverton

I'll set up the pick-a-date page soon.

Fishcake

Woohoo! ;D

Mark Oates

{"name":"tumblr_n3kfmpZxcG1srkiv2o1_400.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/b\/ab49f60949068ee42502c41e9fdc867e.gif","w":360,"h":240,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/b\/ab49f60949068ee42502c41e9fdc867e"}tumblr_n3kfmpZxcG1srkiv2o1_400.gif

Dizzy Egg

^^^ lool ;D

Chris Katko

{"name":"RkAl2.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/8\/a8693b5f3a81a0e01e122f9876f911b2.gif","w":320,"h":240,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/8\/a8693b5f3a81a0e01e122f9876f911b2"}RkAl2.gif

Striker

internetsuechtig-thumbnail.jpg

Gideon Weems

{"name":"609430","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/6\/464b8ab201e4894b51892bad05b5601d.jpg","w":632,"h":422,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/6\/464b8ab201e4894b51892bad05b5601d"}609430

Edgar Reynaldo

Speedhack thread, you must live!

http://www.speedhack.allegro.cc/

We await news of our impending salvation, fearless leader!

Matthew Leverton

Okay, go mark which dates you prefer:

http://www.speedhack.allegro.cc/which-weekend

Be optimistic on which dates will work. There will probably be a second vote limited to a few of the most popular weekends.

Spread the word. >:(

Chris Katko

Why does this page:
http://www.speedhack.allegro.cc/rule-o-matic/all-rules

Clip the rules descriptions to less than a sentence?

Gideon Weems

My votes are in. With so many dates available in advance, there is no excuse not to join!

LennyLen

With so many dates available in advance, there is no excuse not to join!

Except that they're all weekends, which pretty much counts me out, as I work ~40 hours of the speedhack timeframe. :(

Chris Katko
LennyLen said:

Except that they're all weekends, which pretty much counts me out, as I work ~40 hours of the speedhack timeframe. :(

I'm disabled and spend most of the day bedridden, but I'm gonna try and put at least 8 hours in. :P

LennyLen

I'm disabled and spend most of the day bedridden, but I'm gonna try and put at least 8 hours in.

Good luck to you. I know my limitations well enough to know that I can't get anything but the most basic of programs done in 8 hours. ;)

Chris Katko
LennyLen said:

the most basic of programs

And that is what I shall bring to the table! 8-)

Mark Oates

I hope to use my framework and try to force myself to rely entirely on its functions without expanding the feature set.

Gideon Weems

I'll be programming from scratch. For me, SpeedHack is an opportunity to shed framework grime and be free.

I'm disabled and spend most of the day bedridden, but I'm gonna try and put at least 8 hours in. :P

This is awesome. Best of luck.

SiegeLord

There should be a button to select all the checkmarks at once 8-).

Elias

I hope it won't be on the August 1st weekend or I'll have to postpone my wedding...

Mark Oates
Elias said:

I hope it won't be on the August 1st weekend or I'll have to postpone my wedding...

8-)

GameCreator

I agree with Mark. Women come and go but coding is forever.

Gideon Weems

I agree with GameCreator, because I enjoy recursive agreement.

GullRaDriel

I filled my dates.

Chris Katko

Can I submit my game if I use Javascript and SDL?? ;)

Sidenote: While Allegro lost lots of numbers over the last few years, I actually think lots of libraries (SDL!) lost users as the rise of "free game engines" really started to hit. It's not just Unity or Unreal, there are tons of paid, free, and FOSS engines out there. I still don't prefer them, but they're pretty impressive for what they are.

SiegeLord

Meh... I started using Allegro after I hit the limits of an engine (GameMaker)... all these engines are full of limits that you'll eventually want to exceed by building your own. Now you might not build it on top of Allegro necessarily (as Allegro is a bit high level in a few places), but I wouldn't say the existence of prefabbed engines spells an end for Allegro-like libraries. Not every game needs a brand new engine either, though... so everything can co-exist as far as I'm concerned.

Matthew Leverton

I've narrowed the list to the three most popular weekends.

Everybody should go and mark the single weekend that you prefer now. The one with the most votes by the end of this month wins.

http://www.speedhack.allegro.cc/which-weekend

Bruce Perry

I skipped the previous vote because I felt my plans were too variable, but I've chosen my favourite this time - wheeeeee! ;D

Chris Katko

I can't do the first selection because I found out I'm gonna be in S.C. learning about textile manufacture for work. :o

Dizzy Egg

I've picked one, but I should be available for all. Can't wait! 8-)

Derezo

June might be tough to pull off, but I want to try. Last year I registered and failed to compete. :(

Bruce Perry

Umm, my plans changed in such a way that two of the three weekends are now equally as good as each other, so I've marked both, even though Matthew told us not to. I'm sure he can figure out how to deal with that though (and hopefully it doesn't involve banning me) :)

SiegeLord

I didn't even notice that one had to pick a single option >.>. What is this, the electoral college?

l j
SiegeLord said:

I didn't even notice that one had to pick a single option >.>. What is this, the electoral college?

No, too many options for that.

Chris Katko

We should start running a Democrat vs Republician debate and advertisements for the two most popular of the dates left, and have the their be represented by Ralph Nader.

https://youtu.be/FRr4mkmZg9w?t=33s

[edit] Geez, Allegro's YouTube support is broken. >:(

Edgar Reynaldo

Youtube links don't work with https in them, only http.

[1]

[2]

[3]

[4]

video

Only the last link, #4 without the https, works. You need the full link to the video.

Chris Katko
Edgar Reynaldo

I said, you need the 'watch' part in the url :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7DGTRYZW_I

video

Matthew Leverton

The date is June 26.

Dizzy Egg

^

Schweet. :-*

Mark Oates

Calendar marked.

Derezo

w00t! SpeedHack is the ultimate cure for the Allegro Forum Blues! 8-)

media player

Dennis

Is using Allegro mandatory for participation?

Derezo

Do I have to use Allegro?

Absolutely yes! This is a competition based on the Allegro library. While you are free to use add-on and third party libraries, you must make a good faith effort to use Allegro. i.e., Some major part of the game must utilize Allegro, such as the graphics, the sound, or the input. It is recommended, however, to minimize use of redundant third party libraries. If Allegro provides adequate functionality, please use it.

Chris Katko

So technically, Allegro could be used for only one "major" thing, like audio. ;)

But why would anyone use anything else?!

Edgar Reynaldo

We should post a news item for this. And update the SpeedHack page. I don't know the details except for June 26 is the start date, so I won't post any news item yet, and I don't know how the SpeedHack website gets updated either...

furinkan

Noted. I'll try to be available.

Dizzy Egg

I agree with Gideon, because I'm f*****g wasted.

GullRaDriel

26 June noted.

Arvidsson

Won't be able to join :( Next time!

Chris Katko

Yeah, I'm gonna be in S.C. the day before that (and possibly leading into Friday). So not sure if I'll be able to make it.

devo_au

Hey whats a speedhack for the noobs like me?

Elias
devo_au said:

Hey whats a speedhack for the noobs like me?

http://www.speedhack.allegro.cc/intro

SiegeLord

Yeah, I'm gonna be in S.C. the day before that (and possibly leading into Friday). So not sure if I'll be able to make it.

That still leaves you 2 days ;).

Chris Katko
SiegeLord said:

That still leaves you 2 days ;).

Yeah, but things like that tend to leave me bedridden for a last a few days afterward. :)

Onewing

Awesome, I'm going to be extremely rusty, but I think I can make this one. At least, a 10 to 16 hour game in that timeframe.

Mark Oates

Omg there's going to be like 3 people in it. :-[

SiegeLord

I'm going to take a Friday off for this occasion 8-). I've a lot of trouble motivating myself (not even Shia LaBeouf can help me), so I can't miss this opportunity to make something :P.

Dizzy Egg

I was so looking forward to this - but managed to completely ruin my finger last week, and this has to stay on for 7 weeks...

{"name":"609472","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/4\/8464635fcfe61997df80a954467d6a0d.jpg","w":480,"h":640,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/4\/8464635fcfe61997df80a954467d6a0d"}609472

:'( :'( :'(

Chris Katko

TYPE SLOWER! You're breaking your fingers!

Derezo

I'm going to try to participate.

I start that job I applied for on Monday, but I'm not working Fridays until August! I'll officially hold my first actual programming position in 3 days! w00t!

Mark Oates
Derezo said:

I'll officially hold my first actual programming position in 3 days!

No way!

I've been hired for my first actual programming position too. I "start" on Monday, but we're waiting on work visa processing to be done by Service Canada. So, I might not actually be able to start on that date.

That's awesome, congratulations!

MiquelFire

I think I'll join up.

Chris Katko

I've been hired for my first actual programming position too. I

I just got interviewed for a big firm. I didn't pass their programming expectations for a Software Dev II. :-/

My current job is so terrible, I never get to program except as a hobby, so my skills have gotten very rusty when it comes to more fundamental problems like optimizing an algorithm down to linear time. :(

My job consists of "Google why Microsoft's trash excuse for software keeps throwing exceptions."

devo_au

Yeh i'm down for speedhack. 26th of June works me. Gonna pop my speed hack cherry, Ooohh It's on like Donkey Kong ;D

Edgar Reynaldo

Omg there's going to be like 3 people in it. :-[

I'm sure there are at least a few people lurking out there that are gonna join, but not post in the thread. That's the way it usually works anyway.

I just got interviewed for a big firm. I didn't pass their programming expectations for a Software Dev II. :-/

What did they expect you to know for the position? I'm interested in what employers are actually looking for.

Anyway, I'm in too. ;) The hardest part for me is coming up with ideas that fit the rules. :/

BAF

We'll see. I have tentative plans for that Saturday, but I still might be able to churn something out. (probably not though, of course)

Edgar Reynaldo

In order to generate a little more buzz I submitted a news item for the upcoming SpeedHack competition. Starting to get excited!!!

StevenVI

Now to see if it gets posted before the event... ;)

I've been thinking for years that it'd be fun to be able to participate in one of these again, but as always will never have that kind of time.

MiquelFire

When can we sign up?

Matthew Leverton

Now.

Edgar Reynaldo

Oh yeah! I'm in like Flynn! And speaking of Kevin Flynn, maybe I'll remake Tron! If it fits the rules anyway. ;)

Matthew Leverton

Everybody go add some new rules:

http://www.speedhack.allegro.cc/rule-o-matic/add

It doesn't look like anybody has in a while.

SiegeLord

I submitted a whole bunch 8-).

Mark Oates

Are you the one who added all those "Act of ..." rules? ;)

SiegeLord

I added only one of those :P.

Mark Oates

Ah, ok. ;) I saw that huge list of "Act of" rules and thought they sorted by date.

Does the "Rate a Rule" just pick completely at random? ??? Ok, apparently yes, until you've rated all the rules.

Onewing

I'm signed up. Got baseline allegro 5 (never used this before) code working with Xcode (never worked with any version of allegro in this manner before) after a little bit of environmental setup. About an hour of my evening.

GullRaDriel

In the starting blocks.
I may not have the whole weekend, but I got myself some reserved speedhack time.
Can't wait to see the rules ^^
Good luck to all the contestants !
:D

Derezo

I plan on spending the bulk of my Saturday getting an Allegro5 entry going -- hopefully I wake up alone that morning or it might be hard ;)

LennyLen
Derezo said:

hopefully I wake up alone that morning or it might be hard

Hard, or difficult?

Derezo

... well maybe both.

Mark Oates

difficultly hard? :-[

Matthew Leverton

Rules are set.

Maybe some of the new rules made it in the competition? ???

GullRaDriel

It's starting in 3 hour ! :D

Edgar Reynaldo

Ooh, it's on like Tron!

So, we have to :
1. Care for something

2. Have text interaction
3. and a large particle engine

4. as well as have annoying sounds
5. and break the laws of physics

Or
6. Make a sequel and substitute two rules.

Sounds easy, right? :P

GullRaDriel

Wow. Sounds like there was is a bug. I also have the exact same rules as Edgar.

??

Joke aside, looks like I THOUGH I registered, but now it looks like I didn't. I am not able to make a blog entry.

Didn't I told I registered ? FFS !

>:(>:(>:(

Edit: Can't someone add me ?

Edgar Reynaldo

I also have the exact same rules as Edgar.

We are all supposed to have the same rules...

Elias

No ticket no ride!

What the ticket inspector at my daily train ride back in Austria would say :P

MiquelFire

Should have signed up before it started.

dogsayswhat

Registration link was broken for me for the last few days, couldn't register :(.

Still making an entry :D.

Mark Oates

Anybody have any game ideas yet?

I've been brainstorming ideas to meet the genre requirement. Petz, Diner Dash, Tamogachi, and Pikmin are a few things that come to mind. Maybe a more exciting idea might involve AI and machine learning. I'm having trouble coming up with something that really piques my interests.

MiquelFire

What about running a business?

Matthew Leverton
Quote:

Still making an entry

You have both been added.

GullRaDriel

Thanks o' great leader.

Edgar: I was joooooking for the rule part :-p

Mark Oates

Edgar: I was joooooking for the rule part :-p

Well, I thought you were serious. :-X

Gideon Weems

HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER

Sign me up, please.

Mark Oates

That'd be sweet.

We're all hanging out on #allegro. Some of us are even screencasting on twitch.tv.

Derezo

Dang, just realized I must have forgot to register >_<

Chris Katko

You can use my account. :P ;) I'm too tired from driving all over three states to do anything but sleep this weekend.

Gideon Weems
Derezo said:

Don't be a weenie! Code away, and The Phearless One shall retroactively give you a place in the competition.

GullRaDriel

Uploaded src & binaries.
I may make some last second updates thought.

Matthew Leverton

HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER

Derezo said:

Signed you both up, in case you have anything to upload at this late hour.

amarillion

Uploaded source & binaries!

GullRaDriel

Yay !!:D

Bruce Perry

Uploaded ALL the zips !_ò/

GullRaDriel

YAY !

TWO HOURS LEFT !!!

>:(

Edit: 40 minutes remaining !!!

Mark Oates

BBBZZZRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNP!!

WHEW!!!!! :-[:-/:P

;D

GullRaDriel

OVEEEEEEEEEEEEEER 8-)

devo_au

I missed the deadline by one minute. Had everything the right size, Hit upload. Upload screen changed to entrant screen, no upload for me. I reckon I missed out by seconds. Was a bit disappointed and frustrated but then I realise, thats been the most productive I have been coding and hacking in a while. This has lit a fire under my coding. So, didn't make the deadline, by the skin of a bee's dick :-[, but it has been a great challenge :)

GullRaDriel

Like I said to you in the blog comments, you just have to upload it here for people to at least test it !

devo_au

Ah, ok.. Here it is

GullRaDriel

Well, by here I was thinking here, on a.cc, not particularly here in that topic.

You should edit a new topic as the other participant did.

Onewing

High five to all those who participated and congrats to all those who got an entry in! :D

GullRaDriel

Yeah man :-)
Well done everyone and thanks for the cheers Onewing !

amarillion

@devo_au, you should definitely contact Matthew about this.

Of course he has final say on this. But when I was organiser of TINS in the past, this type of thing happened before, and in those cases, I would just allow the late entry in anyway, with a note that the game was late and should be marked down. So you won't win, but you'll still get everybody to see your work.

devo_au

All good mate.. I did as Gull suggested and created a new topic and posted it there.

Mark Oates

Alright, post-speedhack recovery time complete. Time to play some games! 8-)

Peter Hull

I thought Speedhack was absolutely terrific this year - I really enjoyed following along with the blogs and screenshots - well done to all entrants!

GullRaDriel

That's the best rules I got since I started some SpeedHacks

Elias

If there wasn't that obnoxious sound rule... who ever added that? :P

Mark Oates

Not me! (Seedlings was my rule 8-))

MiquelFire

I'll own up to the sound rule. Sorry about that.

GullRaDriel

I loved the sound annoyance rule.

Edit: When will the votes be allowed ?

EDIT2: We should have been voting during the last week end. How about starting it before 2016 ?

Gideon Weems

The rules this time were great, and I'm actually looking forward to how everyone chose to deal with the sound annoyance requirement.

Sadly, however, I did not finish. I was late to the game and cocky. Still, I look forward to polishing up what I did do and playing everyone's entries! Good job and congrats!

GullRaDriel

Only Gideon seems to care >:(

Bruce Perry

I've been stuck dealing with life, but I absolutely do care and will do some voting as soon as it's set up :)

Elias

I would vote... but I'm starting to forget what I liked or disliked about the games.

Bruce Perry

An excuse to play them again is never a bad thing :)

GullRaDriel

The IRC topic can be changed too... It's not about choosing a weekend, but voting FFS !

Matthew Leverton

Voting will begin this weekend.

GullRaDriel

All hail to the great one.

8-)

EDIT: Vote ? ???

Matthew Leverton
GullRaDriel

Onewing

When does voting close? (apologies if I'm overlooking it)

TinoR

Is there a zip with all the entries in binary?

Mark Oates

Tino, you should create a release thread for your game. It was really good!

Matthew Leverton
Onewing said:

When does voting close? (apologies if I'm overlooking it)

If the votes are in by Saturday, then I can update the site with the results this weekend. Otherwise, it will have to wait until Aug 1 weekend.

Bruce Perry

I think it's unlikely I'll have time before the weekend :-/

GullRaDriel

Casted my votes.

Matthew Leverton

Casted my votes.

If nobody else votes, then I'll declare you the winner.

Onewing

I'll vote this evening. Would like to get Tino's entry working though to give it a proper try.

SiegeLord

I've voted and dipped my finger into doritos so I don't vote a second time!

This year's entries were pretty amazing, it was tough to decide which is actually best :o.

Onewing

I have officially voted as well. :D

GullRaDriel
Matt said:

If nobody else votes, then I'll declare you the winner.

What an idea to motivate all those who haven't yet voted ^^
You know you're evil, do you ?
;-)

Gideon Weems

The first three entries I tried compiling had issues. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. Go to your rooms.

Edgar Reynaldo

Lots of binaries crashed for me so I couldn't play everything. Tried compiling Bruce's Human CPU using DMD, Visual D, and MSVC 2010 but I don't know what I'm doing and I haven't had any luck.

Anyway, voted. ;)

amarillion

Voted.

Bruce Perry

Finally squeezed my voting in too :)

I feel totally rushed off my feet in life at the moment.

GullRaDriel

How long will the voting phase last ?

Matthew Leverton

Looks like a few people still haven't voted.

Results will probably be posted next weekend (i.e., Aug 1), so some time before then.

GullRaDriel

Thanks.

Edit: go vote if it's not done yet >:(

Matthew Leverton

Voting will end some time on Friday. So to make sure your votes count, get them in by end of Thursday.

GullRaDriel

Yay !
Finally :-)

Bruce Perry

While you're concluding the voting, I'll be going wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee all the way to Ohio :)

amarillion

Is there somebody in Ohio that hasn't voted?

Mark Oates

Alright, I (the dwadler) have submitted my votes just now.

I think that's everybody.

----

Really tough :) The top 2 through 5 were all pretty interchangeable.

Elias

There's an Allegro convention in Ohio tonight, we'll be celebrating the speedhack results :)

Matthew Leverton

That would be the lamest crash ever...

"Any objections?"

"Yes, well, no... I'm just here to announce the results of the Speedhack competition."

Mark Oates
Elias said:

There's an Allegro convention in Ohio tonight, we'll be celebrating the speedhack results :)

Arg you guys I hate you. ;D

You gotta post pictures!

Matthew Leverton

Votes are counted. The top three in each category are composed of six games, but none of them were in the top three in every category. >:(

Results will be posted this weekend if the entries work in WINE. Otherwise, not until Monday.

GullRaDriel

Pffff. There never is an Allegro con here :-[

amarillion

The top three in each category are composed of six games, but none of them were in the top three in every category. >:(

Better still: there should be the same number of categories as entries, so that every entry can be a winner in one category. That is how socialism works, of course.

Mark Oates

And the winner for "Best game named BUN" goes to...

... "Will it be me!?! :o"

GullRaDriel

Wasn't the due date last friday ?

;D

amarillion

And the winner for "Best game named BUN" goes to...

I think the category should be "best gratuitous use of rodents in a text adventure" :D

GullRaDriel

Matt secretly waits for the thread's death.

Except that we'll NOT let it be until we have the results >:(

Mark Oates

Chris Katko

I got a PM that said I was the overall winner, and he would be PMing other people later since they're less important. 8-)

Bruce Perry

Congratulations! It's the Christmas pixels that did it, isn't it ;D

GullRaDriel

Mark wins the gif award ^^

Edit: just wanted it to pop.

MiquelFire

I demand results!

amarillion

You'll catch more results with honey than with vinegar...

GullRaDriel

Some don't like ass liking ;D

The results, damnit !!

Felix-The-Ghost

So when's Speed Hack?

Edgar Reynaldo

It starts next week. We start with a previous years SpeedHack entries, and reverse-engineer them. The person with the most accurate source code wins.

GullRaDriel

^^

Matthew Leverton

Finally, the results are up:

http://www.speedhack.allegro.cc/2015/results

I never was able to actually play the games other than to take screenshots, so (un)fortunately there are no profound write-ups.

Mark Oates

Yay Leverton!

I was genuinely worried about you. I hope everything's ok.

Time to check out the results! 8-)

Arthur Kalliokoski

I was genuinely worried about you. I hope everything's ok.

Just earlier today, I was worried he was dead in some Tijuana flophouse, felled by hookers and blow, so I googled him, and he'd made some commits on github the previous day. There really is no privacy anymore. /s

Edgar Reynaldo

Just earlier today, I was worried he was dead in some Tijuana flophouse, felled by hookers and blow

So, that's what you've been doing, eh Arthur? You were AWOL for a while too....

Arthur Kalliokoski

So, that's what you've been doing, eh Arthur?

I was hitting the bottle. :-/

{"name":"ad_2966960.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/2\/a2c25c9b94e2c669ecd6a732873be32f.jpg","w":1000,"h":745,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/2\/a2c25c9b94e2c669ecd6a732873be32f"}ad_2966960.jpg

amarillion

Woohoo!

Well worth the wait :D

GullRaDriel

Thanks for the work Matt. I Hope everything is fine.

At least I got an 'Honorable mention' yay ^^

MiquelFire

I got nothing. Next time.

GullRaDriel

With no succes, I tried in 2005, 2009, 2014.
I finished and submitted a working entry only this year.
So, well, even if I'm happy with that, I hope I'll be better next time.

I wish the same for you all too !

Playing the entries was also a cool part of the contest :-D

:)

amarillion

I've been speedhacking and tins-is-not-speedhacking since 2001 - first time I got top marks.

That's even more surprising considering I was the competition organiser half the time :)

Elias

I like the results :D

Onewing

Congratulations to all who tried, submitted and especially to those who won. Great year! I'm super excited to place in the "Best Idea" category after experimenting with A5 on a Mac environment for the first time! I need to work on my execution skills. 8-)

For pure randomness, here's a viewable folder I opened up in drive to track time and take scratch notes. Enjoy!

Edgar Reynaldo

Wish I had been able to play more of the entries. Shiznit just didn't work for me. :/

Couldn't get teacher or human cpu to compile and couldn't get chip farm to run.

teacher fails with :

error: expected identifier or '(' before 'char'
     LandFont * small;

on line 23 of game.h :

LandFont * small;

SiegeLord

Woohoo, congratulations to all involved. I enjoyed all of the entries, even the incomplete ones.

One thing I mentioned on the IRC, is that if people want more of these competitions (and to avoid infringing on our dear leader's busy schedule) we could always have an Allegro 'team' for LudumDare. LudumDare provides the most of the boring bits including blogs etc, and we'd just treat it as another SpeedHack, perhaps replacing one of the SpeedHack rules with the pathetic excuse LudumDare calls a 'theme' and restricting ourselves to use Allegro.

I won't be participating this weekend for sure, but if anybody wants to do it next time (or just do it without me) I'd be interested in trying it.

Mark Oates

Maybe we could use a set of (curated) rules from the spinner.

amarillion

If there is interest I could host another TINS later in the year. The website is having problems though, I'd have to fix that one of these days.

Chris Katko

I hope we do more! I couldn't participate in this one, I was out driving across the states for work.

Elias

Does LudumDare allow teams? We could just all enter as a big team and do a Monday project entry :)

Chris Katko

That'd actually be pretty neat! I've never collaborated with any of you before. That might be really fun to coordinate all of us all over the world on a game.

TinoR

It would be fun to do a group project even if it wasn't part of a competition.

We could implement same rule system speedhack has but we wouldn't be competing against each other and make it longer like over a week or up to three weeks.

That way we actually get a finished game in a short time and it doesn't get in a abandoned unfinished state (it would be done even if it isn't done 8-)).

Johan Halmén

That way we actually get a finished game in a short time and it doesn't get in a abandoned unfinished state

So that's how it's done!

Chris Katko

I think we should shoot for something small enough to be easy for practice, but large enough that we aren't stepping on each other's toes.

I am not really familiar to working on a team directly coding with each other.

Like remaking a classic game, or classic Allegro 4 game.

Thread #615327. Printed from Allegro.cc