2014 Olympics Russian
Matthew Leverton

USA won 2010 Olympics with 37 medals.

Who is going to win the 2014 Olympics?

USA got the first gold because USA is #1!!!!!!!!! 8-)

LennyLen

Who is going to win the 2014 Olympics?

In soviet Russia, Olympics wins you.

torhu

I'm boycotting that crap.

Chris Katko

{"name":"Simpsons%2BRussia.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/4\/445045efa8dacf98aeaf8936194b0040.gif","w":468,"h":360,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/4\/445045efa8dacf98aeaf8936194b0040"}Simpsons%2BRussia.gif

Johan Halmén
FMC

Text is in italian, but the photos speak for themselves: :P

http://www.ziqqurat.eu/2014/02/07/40-foto-imbarazzanti-da-sochi-2014/

Gideon Weems

I didn't even realize the winter Olympics were happening until the day of the opening ceremony. They kind of crept up on me this year.

Matthew Leverton

USA wins another gold!!! In second place with four total medals.

How can we compete against the snowy countries that are covered in a year round winter wasteland??? :o

torhu

Where is this year round winter wasteland you're talking about? It's not here in Norway in any case :P

Aikei_c

I don't believe there exists such country where there is snow all year round.

Matthew Leverton

In Norway it's always winter and never Christmas. >:(

torhu

I just love the smell of a sore loser ;D

Thomas Fjellstrom

{"name":"1011044_10152189946547365_871550283_n.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/7\/3776d6e6da9045079b7a366a29921bb9.png","w":302,"h":502,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/7\/3776d6e6da9045079b7a366a29921bb9"}1011044_10152189946547365_871550283_n.png

cough

bamccaig

Most notable are the images making it look like the winter Olympics crept up on Russia too! Without knowing anything about the town it is being hosted in, I wonder why they wouldn't host it in a more populated area with presumably more developed-world conditions... Perhaps Moscow or something. I wonder if there will be any backlash for the conditions (albeit, I imagine most of the complainers are suffering from FWP).

Matthew Leverton

I saw Canada won gold in both the men's and women's maple syrup slurping contest. :o

Thomas Fjellstrom

Doesn't really matter what the medal is for. A medal is a medal. Suck it 'Murca.

blargmob

If you guys missed Sharka's crash last night, it was gnarly :o

video

Matthew Leverton

Did she win?

bamccaig

Protip: The girl in that crash is beautiful. :-* Append: It will be a real shame for humanity if she is maimed or killed doing this.

blargmob

Did she win?

She should have...she was clearly the superior rider, but the judging was poor. I was also not impressed with the judging in the team figure skating finals >:(

Matthew Leverton

There should only be one competition in the winter Olympics: ice running. >:(

None of these stupid subjective talent competitions.

Thomas Fjellstrom

She should have...she was clearly the superior rider, but the judging was poor. I was also not impressed with the judging in the team figure skating finals >:(

Let me guess, some of the judges voted in ways that could be seen as being biased?

blargmob

Let me guess, some of the judges voted in ways that could be seen as being biased?

They were awarding low scores for rides/performances that were of higher caliber than the higher scored runs. It's a pretty lame thing to see. The scores seemed to be weighted in favor of the "incoming medal favorites" instead of the most skilled.

The announcers caught on to this too. They ought to rethink the score computing process.

bamccaig

I wouldn't be surprised if money dictates the Olympics in much the same way it dictates other professional sporting events. Professional sports have been ruined for decades..

Chris Katko

They were awarding low scores for rides/performances that were of higher caliber than the higher scored runs. It's a pretty lame thing to see. The scores seemed to be weighted in favor of the "incoming medal favorites" instead of the most skilled.

Politics at the Olympics! Never!

I think they should have a Dog Show at the Olympics. 8-)

Doesn't really matter what the medal is for. A medal is a medal. Suck it 'Murca.

Careful. Someone's asking for a drone strike! If you're nice and apologize, the drone will deliver fresh pizza.

bamccaig

I think they should have a Dog Show at the Olympics. 8-)

Only if the dogs actually have to do something useful, like tracking, racing, pulling, or fighting. >:( Ideally, it should require teamwork with other dogs. Honestly, the dogs that are usually regarded as being "beautiful" in dog shows are usually useless species whose functional components have been mutated into some horrible rat or mole wannabee. True dogs are strong, intelligent, social animals; traits they get from their wolf ancestors. Beauty contests for animals should be outlawed as cruelty to animals (and the same should apply to children).

LennyLen
bamccaig said:

Beauty contests for animals should be outlawed as cruelty to animals

Only if the dogs actually have to do something useful, like ... fighting

Hmmm.

bamccaig

The first sentence was intentionally controversial. >:( I don't condone forcing dogs to fight for sport (albeit, I'd say that the dogs that can do it are more useful than the prisses they prance around those dog shows).

Matthew Leverton

Canada has nine... everybody might as well go home. The lead is insurmountable. :'(

type568

She should have...she was clearly the superior rider

She fell. She can't win. Pity doesn't work here.

Canada has nine...

Canada has four. Other medals may well be of no matter.

jhuuskon
bamccaig said:

Most notable are the images making it look like the winter Olympics crept up on Russia too! Without knowing anything about the town it is being hosted in, I wonder why they wouldn't host it in a more populated area with presumably more developed-world conditions... Perhaps Moscow or something. I wonder if there will be any backlash for the conditions (albeit, I imagine most of the complainers are suffering from FWP).

Sochi 2014 is Putin's pet project. He poured 50B€ of government money into the games and I wouldn't be suprised if he got a hefty kickback from the development companies employed to build the facilities. After all, "Russia is a country where nothing works but anything can be arranged."[1] Stupid waste of economic resources is a typical symptom of dutch disease in both micro and macro scale and corruption in general is the only thing that actually works in Russia.

References

1. Lasse Lehtinen: Fyrkanvaltaajan kuolema (translated)
blargmob
type568 said:

She fell. She can't win. Pity doesn't work here.

Wow, how observant you are! I never would have guessed that she couldn't still win after falling. You must be a genius!

GullRaDriel

Fourcade FTW :-)

Real men don't put fancy show wearing snowy panties. They use their legs and their gun to bring victory.

type568

Wow, how observant you are! I never would have guessed that she couldn't still win after falling. You must be a genius!

Oh. Thanks I guess.

Matthew Leverton

Norway has 11! What a dramatic comeback! :o

type568

Recently I encountered a "pay for medal" chart for 2014, which said Norway doesn't pay for wins of its sportsmen. The biggest pay for a Gold was by Kazahstan, about 125 000$.

The Irony..

blargmob

Poor Shaun White :'(

type568

O.O
Germany. Did they just grab 4 today?

Johan Halmén

There should only be one competition in the winter Olympics: ice running.

And snow swimming!

video

Matthew Leverton

Known as "Canadian swimming":

{"name":"tumblr_mfyxvaXkIN1rjcfxro1_r1_400.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/b\/6bdd0e4336e82eff9f3ab7f8cee8bf31.gif","w":308,"h":218,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/b\/6bdd0e4336e82eff9f3ab7f8cee8bf31"}tumblr_mfyxvaXkIN1rjcfxro1_r1_400.gif

type568 said:

Germany. Did they just grab 4 today?

They are so far behind, they might as well give up. Norway has twelve. They only have eight.

USA is making a great comeback though. With nine we are only three behind the lead. :o

I'm pretty sure Phelps will make that up by himself, so we are in good shape.

type568

1 oz of Gold: 1290 $
1 oz of Silver: 20.25 $
1 oz of Bronze is too cheap for me to bother >.<
I'd bet it's below 1$.

So it is fair to say the winner to be selected using the lexicographic sort.
8-)8-)

Matthew Leverton

Olympic medals all cost the same to make. It's just colored plastic.

type568

The medals are symbols representing the values of their respective metals.

Neil Roy

I was impressed with the men's speed skating where one of the Canadian team fell and didn't qualify to compete in the olympics, but his teammate did. His team mate gave his spot to the guy that fell so he could compete and he ended up winning a silver. I forget their names, but THAT was some awesome sportmanship!

GO CANADA! :D

Chris Katko
Quote:

Gold and silver medals are 92.5% silver. Gold medals must be plated with at least 6 grams of gold. All Olympic medals must be at least 3 mm thick and at least 60 mm in diameter. Bronze medals are bronze, an alloy of copper and usually tin.

Gideon Weems

The Olympic committee should make medals all the way down to 10th place, which would be made out of porcelain from a public toilet. 5th could be aluminum, 8th recycled plastic, etc.

Derezo

I can assure you, they are made of metal.

{"name":"201738_10151144631256858_1885407506_o.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/9\/796a8429e467144d264d709cf210a430.jpg","w":632,"h":720,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/9\/796a8429e467144d264d709cf210a430"}201738_10151144631256858_1885407506_o.jpg

...I won it at the barber shop.

Matthew Leverton

It's a Christmas Day miracle! USA has jumped out to first place! WE ARE WINNING THE OLYMPICS. :o

Chris Katko
Derezo said:

...I won it at the barber shop.

Details.

gnolam

{"name":"JcwUkLd.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/b\/8b8d98676bc7d0d293f62e44304d7a12.gif","w":244,"h":173,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/b\/8b8d98676bc7d0d293f62e44304d7a12"}JcwUkLd.gif

That is all.

MiquelFire

YouTube version

video

Derezo

Details.

One warm summer day I needed a haircut, and so I wandered down to the local barber shop. As I was waiting, a friend of the barber's burst in very excited waving the bronze medal around. I said some generic phrase of excitement, like "Oh wow, that's awesome" or something. He asked if I wanted my picture taken with it and I was like, "Uhh, ok."

I handed him my cellphone, smiled, and he took a picture.

He left as fast as he came.

The medal was that of one Derek Droin from Corunna, Ontario. About 10km South of me. Pretty sure we went to the same high school and he had my entrepreneurship teacher as a high school coach, but he's a fair bit younger than me and we never met.

It's not that exciting of a story, but doesn't matter. Got medal.

Chris Katko
Quote:

The medal was that of one Derek Droin [en.wikipedia.org] from Corunna, Ontario.

They give Canadians medals?! For what, politeness?

Derezo

Uhh, no.

It was for high jump. I linked it and everything, man!

Chris Katko

Don't steal my thunder!

MiquelFire

Don't steal my thunder!

Why, Thor is trying to repo it?

Gideon Weems
Derezo said:

It's not that exciting of a story, but doesn't matter. Got medal.

What are you saying? That's a great story. I wouldn't post about it on the Internet, though. The guy might come looking for his medal... and he knows what you look like and where you live now.

Matthew Leverton

The Russians are winning!

type568

Go go Mother Russia!
Not yet winning, but all chances. :]

Chris Katko

AMERICA WINS GOLD in free skating!!!! (Silver Canada, Russia Bronze) It was beautiful. So smooth in transitions. Slightly too long though.

Supposedly our forth medal ever in our olympic history for free skating. First gold ever for the USA, and highest score ever as well.

Also, I love the future. People are torrenting the Olympics!

bamccaig

{"name":"b527b416b26761b16c6faad7acaecf3745fa71ce0ae152ff7af1ffcc0915edd6.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/9\/99e0a8643ef875833ee451c222917c74.jpg","w":460,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/9\/99e0a8643ef875833ee451c222917c74"}b527b416b26761b16c6faad7acaecf3745fa71ce0ae152ff7af1ffcc0915edd6.jpg

Neil Roy

The one thing the Olympics have done and that is cause the Americans to forget about the looming financial disaster that was put off until this month and about which there has been a deafening silence in the media... but I am sure it is just a coincidence that they choose February, the same month as the Olympics...

MiquelFire
NiteHackr said:

The one thing the Olympics have done and that is cause the Americans to forget about the looming financial disaster that was put off until this month and about which there has been a deafening silence in the media... but I am sure it is just a coincidence that they choose February, the same month as the Olympics...

heh, the media ;)

Neil Roy

LMFAO! I didn't see that video you linked to because I live in Canada, instead it gave me this message, too funny! :D

{"name":"608314","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/1\/2134ab2d581ea92fa68d6adc22c0570a.png","w":646,"h":363,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/1\/2134ab2d581ea92fa68d6adc22c0570a"}608314

MiquelFire

;D! Anyway, the Canadian link is here. Just can't link to the segment directly.

Thomas Fjellstrom

comedynetwork's site sucks balls. that whole situation is retarded. just install one of those browser addons that lets you see sites like that, or use unblock.us.

Vanneto
Matthew Leverton
type568 said:

Go go Mother Russia!
Not yet winning, but all chances. :]

Russia IS winning! :o

jhuuskon

Russia got their asses handed to them in the only sport that matters. :-*

LennyLen
jhuuskon said:

Russia got their asses handed to them in the only sport that matters.

I didn't realize they played Women's beach Volleyball at the Winter Olympics.

kikabo

When's the snowball fight competition?,... just skiing and skating so far!

type568
LennyLen said:

I didn't realize they played Women's beach Volleyball at the Winter Olympics.

The Olympics take place in a city that never saw snow you know..

Chris Katko
Neil Roy
Quote:

GLOBAL WARMING!!!! [globalnews.ca]

Yeah, it's called the end of Winter. Snow usually starts to melt around this time of year. It is usually totally gone in about a month from now. Hardly global warming, unless you're talking about the normal warming that takes place every year at this time. ::)

Thomas Fjellstrom

Another gold for canada!

Matthew Leverton

Hockey? That's like 20 gold medals. :o

pkrcel
NiteHackr said:

Yeah, it's called the end of Winter. Snow usually starts to melt around this time of year. It is usually totally gone in about a month from now. Hardly global warming, unless you're talking about the normal warming that takes place every year at this time.

"Sochi Weather, more spring than winter"....I mean that is a RESORT CITY....nope not like Cortina or Aspen....more like Montecarlo ;D ;D ;D

Thomas Fjellstrom

And yet another win for Canada.

Suck it America.

At the very least, we get another silver. If not gold.

type568
zerohedge said:

USA wins 2-1, seasonally adjusted for the icy conditions

Matthew Leverton

Has Canada won the NHL recently? I seem to remember a long string of American wins. :-/

bamccaig
Vanneto

Haha, it says Anže Kopitar is from Yugoslovia. ;D

Thomas Fjellstrom

Has Canada won the NHL recently? I seem to remember a long string of American wins. :-/

Considering the proportion of Canadian players on american teams, yes. We always win.

Checkout Alberta alone.

Chris Katko

I'm still waiting for Canada to win in the NFL. They're really lagging as a country.

Thomas Fjellstrom

I'm pretty sure there are a few canadians on NFL teams as well ;)

append: All your sport are belong to us.

torhu

Guess which country just got three new medals ;D
http://www.nrk.no/sport/trippelt-norsk-pa-tremila-1.11562402

Neil Roy

I'm still waiting for Canada to win in the NFL. They're really lagging as a country.

I'm still waiting for the Muricans to win on the CFL.

jhuuskon

Congrats to team Canada for the gold.

type568

Go go Mother Russia!

Thomas Fjellstrom
NiteHackr said:

I'm still waiting for the Muricans to win on the CFL.

Sadly, they did. There was one year where two or three US teams joined the CFL, then one of them won the Grey Cup, and then all the teams folded. Seems noone watched them down there.

jhuuskon said:

Congrats to team Canada for the gold.

You don't think sweden has a chance in hell then? I'm pretty sure they've been playing some good hockey. finland was doing pretty good as well.

jhuuskon

You don't get it. It doesn't matter who wins. All that matters is that sweden doesn't. ;)

Thomas Fjellstrom
jhuuskon said:

It doesn't matter who wins. All that matters is that sweden doesn't. ;)

HAHAHA.

You did know I'm part swedish right? >:(

jhuuskon

It doesn't take a lingust to figure that one out, Mr. Fjällström. :)

Thomas Fjellstrom
jhuuskon said:

It doesn't take a lingust to figure that one out, Mr. Fjällström. :)

;) Also, before my great grandfather immigrated, his name was larson or larsson. One of the two.

Matthew Leverton

Can the Russian Federation hold on to their lead? 29 medals for the WORLD SUPER POWER. :o

blargmob

Viktor Ahn's gold in the 500m and relay last night was the most glorious thing I've ever seen.

type568

Victor.. Seriously. This guy is Korean, he was brought in for these games I suppose. Oh well, Russia has had to win this.

blargmob

It was totally amazing. The way he handled the 500m final was crazy. He's a monster on skates! 10/10 would watch again.

type568

Youtube link?

blargmob

I don't think you can find it on YT because of NBCs rights to ownership of the footage, but you should be able to find it on NBCs website.

type568

[1]

Well, the guy lookeh moveh quickeh.. Not much quicker than the others though.

blargmob

He's the most dominant in the history of the sport. Yeah...he's fuckin' good. Ohno himself admitted to this.

Thomas Fjellstrom

Funny story, but the province has passed some temporary rules allowing bars to be open and serve alcohol starting at 5am when the canada-sweden game is on here. Normally last call is 1-2am iirc.

I think toronto has done the same thing.

type568

@Thomas
That's some nice rule updated. And I was refused to be sold alcohol at ~10:20 AM. I didn't intent to drink it that morning, just wanted to have it. But alcohol sale in Russia is banned form 22:00 to 11:00. Bars are exceptions I suppose. Also small stores and wide begging smiles allow for exceptions.

Thomas Fjellstrom

Huh. I'm not sure if alcohol stores have a fixed open time... Though I bet some don't open till later in the day just because there isn't usually anyone shopping for alcohol in the morning.

type568

In Russia the alcohol sections of supermarkets close for the times when the sale is not permitted.

Thomas Fjellstrom

Grocery Stores and supermarkets can't sell alcohol here, at least not in the same physical building. Its a provincial thing. kinda weird.

A big store here has alcohol stores, but they are separate buildings, in the parking lot ;D

type568

Hmm. And I thought Russia is the one with dumb laws here. Well I really suffered multiple times of the sale ban, and it has caused various inconvenience. The only case when I did intend to use the alcohol NOW I did manage to buy it anyways.

Johan Halmén

{"name":"suomi5usa0.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/1\/d14aeb28c81efb333358bb4074733d9c.jpg","w":500,"h":261,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/1\/d14aeb28c81efb333358bb4074733d9c"}suomi5usa0.jpg

type568

Victory in the victory day for Mother Russia!

Thomas Fjellstrom

I wonder if this wouldn't have been more interesting as a Russia vs. Canada game? Ah well.

append:

{"name":"1606880_10152302284472774_1782173883_n.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/9\/692910d72ef8c7ae96c5261c841f3195.jpg","w":866,"h":818,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/9\/692910d72ef8c7ae96c5261c841f3195"}1606880_10152302284472774_1782173883_n.jpg

Matthew Leverton

It's official, the Russians have won the Olympics!!!

Thomas Fjellstrom

Canada just won the only medal that truly matters ;)

type568

Canada just won the only medal that truly matters ;)

My mom said the same think -.-
Well, just that Russia lost it..

And afterwards the Russian biathlon team was ordered to execute the Russian hockey team.

jhuuskon

No worries, they'll surely miss.

type568

Their medals prove they don't always miss..

Thomas Fjellstrom
type568 said:

Their medals prove they don't always miss..

Or maybe it proves they never miss.... :o

type568

jhuuskon's confidence has reduced my opinion about them to my previous statement.

Matthew Leverton

Doesn't matter how you spin it... Russia has beaten the entire free world!!! Communism is back and badder than ever!

Thomas Fjellstrom

Speaking of communism, All of the top countries are communist. Russia, Norway and Canada! And now the US! OMG!

Johan Halmén

If a hockey player takes one pill containing 120 mg pseudo-ephedrine and a urine test shows 190 mg/l of pseudo-ephedrine, how much does the hockey player weigh?

The amount of tested urine was not 1 l.

AMCerasoli

Speaking of communism, All of the top countries are communist. Russia, Norway and Canada! And now the US! OMG!

It's true and now the countries like Venezuela, Cuba and Peru are more like... Oh wait... They're the same...

Neil Roy

Grocery Stores and supermarkets can't sell alcohol here, at least not in the same physical building. Its a provincial thing. kinda weird.

In Ontario they only sell in LCBO Stores (Liquor etc) and Brewers Retail (Beer), provincially controlled stores, but we have them all over. And they are open during normal business hours as well.

You can buy booze in your corner store in Quebec though.

Thomas Fjellstrom
NiteHackr said:

In Ontario they only sell in LCBO Stores (Liquor etc) and Brewers Retail (Beer), provincially controlled stores, but we have them all over. And they are open during normal business hours as well.

Alberta was the same way for a long time. We had the ALCB (Alberta Liquor Control Board) stores which were very dark and dreary and the only place you could buy alcohol.

They shut down the ALCB a while back though and opened it up to regular stores. But there are still some odd rules in place.

m c

I actually forgot that the olympics was a thing.

But I'm not that strange, I just don't have a TV so I never saw about it.

But I'm not a sports fan so olympics doesn't interest me, though I don't have anything against olympics either. It's just boring to me.

Melbourne Cup matters more to me because that equals a catered lunch at work, and the chance to win office sweepstakes.

Thread #613888. Printed from Allegro.cc