Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » The Curse of the Programmer

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
The Curse of the Programmer
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig said:

The only reason you get butt-hurt is because certain people with bias have chosen to take a strong stance against my arguments and in a few cases have chosen to avoid the channel as a result. For the most part, they weren't very active regardless. And for the most part, I've gotten along with them just fine until sensitive topics are brought up, usually by others

bamccaig said:

I have every right to challenge their ideas.

Why does everything have to be a confrontation with you? You try to get under people's skin on purpose, and that's not part of what it means to be a responsible forum member. If someone believes in God you try to tear them down. If someone believes in proprietary software you call them the Anti-FLOSS. If a women dresses attractively you say its her own fault if she gets raped. This and all the rest of the bullshit that comes out of your mouth makes people feel unwelcome here.

We don't have problems with you disagreeing or with you having a different viewpoint. It's that you try to brow beat everyone else into believing what you believe and that's not right and not healthy for the community.

bamccaig said:

If they don't want to talk about them then they shouldn't bring them up. The thing is, they very much want to spread their ideas, and just want me to not be allowed to spread mine. They can't defeat my ideas in debate. They can only run away from the debate. I think that says a lot. If nothing else it says that the topic is open to debate.

Have you learned nothing from XKCD?
{"name":"duty_calls.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/8\/686d0d2d97cf2974b81c039d17539908.png","w":300,"h":330,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/8\/686d0d2d97cf2974b81c039d17539908"}duty_calls.png

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

...responsible forum member.

:D

If someone believes in God you try to tear them down.

If someone spreads their ideas about a magician in the sky as an absolute truth then I challenge it. I don't often start the debate. I'm provoked to. It doesn't always start here, but that doesn't mean that I'm not being provoked. The point is, lots of people enjoy the debate, and everyone is welcome to stay out of it. If you don't want to participate then don't. That doesn't give you the right to stop the debate.

If someone believes in proprietary software you call them the Anti-FLOSS.

I'm not sure that I've ever called someone "anti-FLOSS". Certainly when the merits of proprietary software are brought up I will challenge them because I believe people to generally be misguided on the subject. It is a topic that most people don't understand well, and that even academia evidently doesn't understand well. It is very open to debate. Again, feel free to participate or not.

If a women dresses attractively you say its her own fault if she gets raped.

I'm not sure that I've ever said that it's her fault. I've said that I don't have sympathy if she's dressing provocatively. If she attracts that attention and doesn't take necessary precautions to defend herself against risks then she has nobody else to blame. The topic has been discussed elsewhere, and I'm be happy to start any of these topics again if you like, but I suspect that you'd rather not so perhaps you should not put words into my mouth.

This and all the rest of the bullshit that comes out of your mouth makes people feel unwelcome here.

According to whom? What data do you have to support this claim? Have you conducted a peer reviewed poll of visitors and past members?

Have you learned nothing from XKCD?

I've learned many things, including that I seem to have a few things in common with the author.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

bamccaig said:

If she attracts that attention and doesn't take necessary precautions to defend herself against risks then she has nobody else to blame

That is saying its her fault. full stop.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig said:

...responsible forum member.

:D

While I appreciate your attempt at humor, it doesn't change the fact that there are behaviours we should and should not encourage here.

bamccaig said:

If someone spreads their ideas about a magician in the sky as an absolute truth then I challenge it. I don't often start the debate. I'm provoked to. It doesn't always start here, but that doesn't mean that I'm not being provoked.

And how many times have you shoved your precious FSM in somebody elses face and told them their beliefs are a lie? You are just as much to blame for pushing your opinions on others as you feel they have done to you. Does mentioning the word God upset you? So sorry. ::) Let people believe what they want to and stop trying to push your own beliefs onto others.

bamccaig said:

The point is, lots of people enjoy the debate, and everyone is welcome to stay out of it. If you don't want to participate then don't. That doesn't give you the right to stop the debate.

Yet you put forth your own opinion as an absolute truth as well. You are so caught up in proving yourself right that no one elses opinion matters. Saying that people can just 'stay out of it' implies they should tolerate your behaviour regardless of how it affects them. While true to a certain degree, you take everything way too far, and saying we should just 'stay out of it' is just another aspect of how unwelcome you make people here feel. Saying we don't have a right to stop the debate implies that anything goes, and that is something we shouldn't put up with. There are limits to what is considered debate, and what is just trying to tear other people down.

bamccaig said:

This and all the rest of the that comes out of your mouth makes people feel unwelcome here.

According to whom? What data do you have to support this claim? Have you conducted a peer reviewed poll of visitors and past members?

Trent Gamblin left a.cc because of you. NiteHackr may have left a.cc because of your behaviour as well. That's two strikes already. Would you like me to research your posts further and prove just how antagonistic and beligerent that you are? I don't think its necessary since the rest of the members of this forum have already been witness to your confrontational behaviour during the course of your stay here at a.cc. And it appears you have been alienating #allegro members as well. You're just winning friends left and right it seems. There is such a thing as having some tact and sensitivity to other's viewpoints. You seem to have neither. You also seem to think the point of a forum is to win arguments and be right about everything. Admit you don't know everything for once, and turn down the zealotry a few notches. K? Thanks.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

While I appreciate your attempt at humor, it doesn't change the fact that there are behaviours we should and should not encourage here.

{"name":"51fb2a5ddddf5e8e8e97b8471bf36e8194391cbf2715dfbbdbeadb5ac23f86db.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/d\/adc3b370e16c7ba2452f2aebeea17f0f.jpg","w":620,"h":620,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/d\/adc3b370e16c7ba2452f2aebeea17f0f"}51fb2a5ddddf5e8e8e97b8471bf36e8194391cbf2715dfbbdbeadb5ac23f86db.jpg

And how many times have you shoved your precious FSM in somebody elses face and told them their beliefs are a lie? You are just as much to blame for pushing your opinions on others as you feel they have done to you.

I don't at all vilify the spreading of ideas. I think that's great! I vilify spreading of nonsensical ideas on the merit of "faith". There is no real evidence for God, and that is pretty much well established definition. It seems that believers aren't very good at understanding their own belief system because they choose to spread the idea as fact.

FSM is a well known joke. Nobody with an ounce of intelligence believes in a "flying spaghetti monster".. As I understand the folklore, it was invented to discredit Christian beliefs in a state of the USA that was very likely to teach public school students Christian beliefs as a science based on complete bullshit. The FSM was invented with the same exact arguments that are used to "prove" the Christian God's existence as a desperate attempt to break through the brainwashed minds of the politicians ruling on the matter. When faced with an equally absurd notion without evidence they were forced to think about what gave their beliefs merit and that were lacking in the FSM idea. They came to the only reasonable conclusion that there was no real difference. They realized that their beliefs were not scientific.

Does mentioning the word God upset you? So sorry. ::) Let people believe what they want to and stop trying to push your own beliefs onto others.

It doesn't bother me at all what other people believe. What bothers me is wrongly representing your beliefs as factual, absolute truths, indisputable, etc. I rather enjoy the debate. I'd be glad to have one again if you'd like. Go for it. I can't promise that I have the time to dedicate to a fully fledged one, but you just might inspire and fuel some thoroughly enjoyable late nights. It has been a while.

As a rule, if you let people believe in what they want to then all is well. If you start involving your nonsense beliefs where they have no place then you're provoking a fight that neither of us can win, but I come out of looking smarter and you come out of quitting. Or just looking like an idiot if you keep trying indefinitely.

Yet you put forth your own opinion as an absolute truth as well.

You're completely wrong. When I'm not confident in the supporting evidence for an idea I am completely open to being wrong and discuss the matter as such. When the evidence supports my idea I present it as a truth according to evidence. Of course, science isn't really about absolute truths. It cannot be. I think only mathematics can hold such truth, and even then it seems we cannot tie all of the knots into neat little bows.

When I do put forth my ideas as absolute truths I do my best to defend them with evidence (or in the case of my idea being that of a disbelieve in an idea, with a lack of evidence). It's always open to debate. I'm rather interested in the truths so I prefer for lively debate. Not playing or not playing fair spoils any chance of gaining anything (other than a laugh).

Trent Gamblin left a.cc because of you.

Trent Gamblin left A.cc because he is very strong willed and refused to admit defeat in hopeless arguments. I have no beef with him short of him having a beef with me. I've already discussed this matter with him. I suppose he has his own reasons for being unwilling to put up with my presence, but I am not the only reason that he avoids community channels.

NiteHackr may have left a.cc because of your behaviour as well.

As I recall, NiteHackr is another example of a religious zealot that refuses to put up with differing beliefs. He effectively ragequit because of religious debate, if I'm not mixing him up with other people. Again, debate that he could choose to avoid. Apparently he can only tolerate Christian communities. That is his right. Again, it has little to do with me, other than perhaps myself being one of his persistent challengers.

That's two strikes already.

According to whom? I have mostly considered Matthew fair. In some cases I have felt that he has let emotion cloud judgement, but moderation is a very difficult responsibility so there's room for error. I don't think that he'd tolerate me if he felt that I was being unreasonable.

Would you like me to research your posts further and prove just how antagonistic and beligerent that you are?

Please do.

I don't think its necessary since the rest of the members of this forum have already been witness to your confrontational behaviour during the course of your stay here at a.cc.

According to whom? Where is your data? What is your source? How was it collected?

And it appears you have been alienating #allegro members as well.

According to whom? You seem to be picking and choosing what fits your bias.

There is such a thing as having some tact and sensitivity to other's viewpoints. You seem to have neither. You also seem to think the point of a forum is to win arguments and be right about everything. Admit you don't know everything for once, and turn down the zealotry a few notches.

I don't know everything, and several members (many inactive) have proven that over the years. I have not hesitated to admit defeat when the occurrence has clearly taken place. I've had my ego severely bruised over the years, and I've learned from the experience. I've also learned who can and cannot handle a discussion. That is what a "forum" is for. It's a discussion board. A place to discuss things. When the topic is factual there is little room for debate. When it's subjective there is only room for debate. There's little point participating if you aren't trying to learn, and nobody learns anything if they don't challenge the ideas that they disagree with and defend the ideas that they do agree with. That's what this is for. It just so happens that one of the greatest, most friendly online communities happened to have been created in the process. At least, that's what we used to say a could of years ago. Now all we seem to discuss is how dead it is, and how obviously I am the cause despite my inactivity. ::)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig said:

As I recall, NiteHackr is another example of a religious zealot that refuses to put up with differing beliefs. He effectively ragequit because of religious debate, if I'm not mixing him up with other people. Again, debate that he could choose to avoid. Apparently he can only tolerate Christian communities. That is his right. Again, it has little to do with me, other than perhaps myself being one of his persistent challengers.

You don't seem to grasp the idea that you're a religious zealot too. Atheism is just as much a religion as any other, aside from the fact that it professes there is no God. I am willing to assert that you make Christians feel unwelcome here, as well as people who practice other faiths as well. It's called a faith for a reason, as we cannot directly prove or disprove the existence of God. The fact that there are three widely accepted and respected books (Old Testament, New Testament, Koran) that profess a faith in God is not a notion that should be entirely dismissed, not to mention scores of other religious teachings. Guess what bam? Most of the world believes in a God in some form or another, and who are you to tell them that they have no right to believe in what they believe in? Is the entire world simply under a delusion that there could be a being greater than us? I've seen the work of God and Satan, and I am perfectly happy to state that I believe both exist and both influence the world around us. I may not have specific scientific evidence that they are real, but I do have faith in their existence and do not dismiss religion as being without worth.

You put yourself forward as if you're on some kind of holy mission to rid the world of faith in things they can't prove exist simply because you believe that is proof that they don't exist. Who are you to say you know better than everyone else? You're argumentative, abrasive, and rude to people who don't agree with you, and I assert that it drives people away. Do I have a statistical study to back me up? No, but it seems common sense that people don't want to be somewhere their beliefs aren't respected. We don't try to make you believe what we believe, so why do you feel you need to push your beliefs on us? You seem to think that beating people down for their beliefs is some kind of right that you have. Well you don't have the right to brow beat people, yet you do it all the time. I for one am a little tired of it. If people don't feel welcome, then they will leave, and that's exactly what has happened here, and I think you are the main contributor to why people don't feel welcome here.

Anyway, I've said enough and I should go to bed. I'd like to hear what other people think on the matter.

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

I won't read through these walls of texts just to find out what I already knew. :P
Is this now even turning into a religious debate again? Come on guys, that's not gonna lead anywhere. ;)

Personally, I welcome different opinions and discussions. It's just how they are presented. Politeness was invented so people can get along. You can overdo that, too, by being 115% politically correct all the time, which would probably be boring. But some degree of civilized behavior is needed. This involves some basic respect for others.
I found Bambam's misogynist walls of text (which I only skimmed) especially stupid, offensive and ... err ... intellectually undemanding ;D. I don't see why anyone (including Bambam) would waste his/her time with such bullshit.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

bamccaig is to proper behaviour what piccolo is to proper grammar was to proper grammar[1].

References

1. Points to piccolo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Polybios said:

Is this now even turning into a religious debate again? Come on guys, that's not gonna lead anywhere. ;)

Polybios said:

Personally, I welcome different opinions and discussions.

Polybios said:

But some degree of civilized behavior is needed. This involves some basic respect for others.

Polybios said:

I found Bambam's misogynist walls of text (which I only skimmed) especially stupid, offensive and ... err ... intellectually undemanding ;D. I don't see why anyone (including Bambam) would waste his/her time with such bullshit.

1. So you'd rather discuss sexism than religion? Bring. It. On.

2. You're a hypocrite. "[Turning this into a religious debate won't solve anything!]" *turns it into a sexism debate* Pot, meet kettle.

3. If you welcomed different opinions and discussions you would read what I have to say before judging it, and you would challenge what I have to say in context instead of calling me names and stereotyping out of context.

Essentially, if you say anything that questions "Feminism" or women you are immediately labeled "misogynistic". It doesn't matter if what you have to say shows merit. And so it quickly becomes evident that people that would label you as such don't have much merit themselves (at least within the debate). A really interesting thing happens when you actually engage the sexism debate. You discover that the sexism is actually rather weighted against men. It's not so one-sided, and women don't seem to have it nearly as bad as you may have been taught.

4. Respect goes both ways. If you label what I've written without reading what I've written then I'd say that you're not being respectful of me. I don't think that I have been disrespectful of you, and typically those that I am disrespectful of have shown disrespect in some way. I usually approach new people with respect.

No matter, I try not to hold grudges either way. I try to keep the scope of quibbles limited. If we aren't getting along on a thread I try to keep it limited to that thread. We may not agree on that idea, but that doesn't mean that we can't get along. Unless you refuse to get along with me as a result, in which case so be it.

I'm not perfect. Sometimes I make the mistake of reading things wrong and lunging first. I'm not sure that is the case in this instance, but I'm not above to it. I usually try to identify these mistakes and correct them.

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

@ Bambam:

First of all: I can skim your walls of text on ... certain topics .... to get an impression that is accurate enough to show me that there's so much bullshit in it that it doesn't justify actually reading it accurately. I know this from my previous reading experience. ;)

Second: I think the mere fact of writing so many walls of text is already impolite. It's tiring for the eyes to read much badly formatted text on a screen. Our time is limited. We all know that. So it would be better to keep it short if you don't have much to say.
If you think we are to blame if we actually (try to) read what you write, just write your rants to a local file or to /dev/null and be satisfied.

Now, I won't discuss either women or religion or any similar topic with you because my reading experience tells me that it is highly unlikely to provide any new insights for me. ;D

I don't say you're wrong generally, but obviously, you didn't study religion in depth, for example, so to me, personally, your perspective appears to be rather limited. :P

For example, I personally dislike taking the bible very literally, so we could probably agree on that. But that's not all there is to religion. There is also a deep spiritual side to it (Buddhism can be interesting in that regard). If you spend your time writing walls of text on the Internet while being drunk, my experience with people tells me that it is rather unlikely you have discovered any of this, though. So I think you're stuck on a very ... basic, maybe even superficial ... level of understanding religion. :-/

As for women: Some humans are stupid. From my personal experience, I don't think it correlates with sex or gender. So I consider most of your generalising tirades to be utter nonsense. I feel sorry for you if you're frustrated with women or don't know many cool or interesting women. But ranting on the internet won't help then.

Note that humans have been religious more or less throughout their existence. So chances are there is something to it. Also, half of humans are women. It's just ignorant to rant about something you don't know much about. :-/

Note that I don't generally disagree with you, I don't hold any grudge against you, and I do think you're quite a competent programmer so it can be worthwhile to listen to what you have say about topics you actually studied. :P

Edit:
>:(
This'll be my only wall of text here. ::)

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Let's bring basic sociology into the mix, shall we?

Observations:

1. Bambams is arguing in a team of one.

2. Several people are banding together and attacking bambams's conduct.

What would be normal behaviour in these circumstances? Simple: strength in numbers and social exclusion are very powerful effects and should lead to a period of misery, a thorough self-evaluation, and improved behaviour in the future. [For the avoidance of doubt, we are talking about BEHAVIOUR here, not BELIEFS.]

The fact that this isn't happening makes you a sociopath, bambams. I think of you as a friend, but I can't support you here. Please just shut up and go through the misery and thorough self-evaluation already.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I started posting a lot less for reasons mentioned here. Text is limiting. In the past I have found that I can write several paragraphs of well thought out meaningful communication. However, if that post also contains a sentence -- or sometimes even a single word -- that triggers conflict, even if it was a side comment on something unrelated, the focus becomes attacking that one line and the tone of the thread shifts entirely.

Jesus.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Derezo said:

Jesus.

How dare you use my cat's savior in vain. I'm offended and demand an apology. You triggered me with your cis atheism. You know I was born religious but I wish I was atheist and you bigoted me anyway.

Quote:

I started posting a lot less for reasons mentioned here. Text is limiting. In the past I have found that I can write several paragraphs of well thought out meaningful communication. However, if that post also contains a sentence -- or sometimes even a single word -- that triggers conflict, even if it was a side comment on something unrelated, the focus becomes attacking that one line and the tone of the thread shifts entirely.

I had to reduce posting on Reddit for that reason. Nobody wants to learn or discuss things anymore. I can write the nicest, properly cited, most carefully worded disagreement with an opinion that goes against popular opinion in Reddit's echo chamber, and I'll be downvoted like crazy (-30 to -200). But if I literally said something like "Hitler rules." I'd get -1 to -3.

People absolutely hate, and fear, ideas that are dangerous to their own pre-established ones. I used to be the same way as a teenager, trying to protect my religion. But honestly, when I let go of that fear of being persuaded, I actually found a real foundation in my religion. I found out what it was, versus what people made it out to be.

So, I'm not defending bam over here, but to say bam is responsible for a significant portion of people leaving feels like a hate bandwagon. Everyone who has held their tongue and ignored his antics is now throwing their memorized beefs into the pot because all a sudden it's socially acceptable to do so in this thread.

Personally, I think yes, we could all do a little better to be respectful. But, there's also a huge problem with everyone taking everything so damn seriously. Like when people actually thought I hated fat people just because I disagree with their lifestyle.

I was seriously considering moving on from this forum if just for that egregious, focus-on-single-words witchhunt to paint me as someone who hates fat people EVEN THOUGH I'M OVERWEIGHT.

There is a huge problem today on the internet where everyone takes any opinion that's contrary to the liberal echo chamber, and paints it as automatically bigoted. It's annoying as hell and it has nothing to do with bettering society, or promoting discussion. It's nothing but using shame to silence opposing opinions.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I was seriously considering moving on from this forum if just for that egregious, focus-on-single-words witchhunt to paint me as someone who hates fat people EVEN THOUGH I'M OVERWEIGHT.

WUT.

There's a reason I stopped posting or even reading most O-T threads that had anything to do with anything that wasn't cat pictures or new toys....

Some people are serious idiots. No joke.

Quote:

So, I'm not defending bam over here, but to say bam is responsible for a significant portion of people leaving feels like a hate bandwagon.

Pay closer attention to the things he says, and tell me you think he isn't a hateful, spiteful person. Then tell me you think its worth spending time with him.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Just to be clear where I stand, I'm not trying to make you feel unwelcome bamccaig. What I want is to make your behaviour feel unwelcome, which is different.

If you learned anything from what I've said, I hope it is to have a little more tact and be more thoughtful about what you say. You can be very offensive at times, and that drives people away.

Our community is shrinking enough as it is, and we're hemorrhaging active members. I for one would like to see our community grow instead of dying out. To that end I feel we need to be more tolerant and more inclusive, but at the same time I think we need to cut out poor behaviour as well. I would like to see a.cc become as vibrant and active as it used to be. Maybe that just isn't in the cards, but we can try anyway.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I may give bambam some physical corrections if possible.
But his butt hides behind a screen far away from my kick.
Give whatever what it deserves. Bambam serves you shit ? shit on him too. Why can't you ?

I would not leave allegro for a damn one.

Live on, live, live !

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Well... To be honest I think that the people that is learning and stuff, only has a brief life in this community, I mean, if you're really learning something, once you're comfortable with your level of knowledge you just leave...

I mean Allegro is not a videogame or a movie or some kind of blog with news and all that, it's just a library, a C library by the way which means that not everyone is interested in when learning to program videogames.

So that means that there is no too much new information all the time, but I have to admit that this community overall is really reluctant to new stuff and changes that is what I think makes a community more active. So that may have cause the decline of people around here. Maybe now everyone is trying to be nice with people and change the old behavior but I think is too late in the short run.

I remember when I was giving suggestions and stuff for the wiki for example and other things and everyone here was like "No way, you're not going to change anything around here, everything here is just perfect, if you don't like it just leave, look all the mess you did" and stuff like that... And I was like... Okey...

I mean it was like "We have so many people working on Allegro!! Suck your suggestions if you want to do it, do it yourself, and do it well otherwise won't be accepted"

What I'm trying to say is that this is not only bamccaigs fault, people that was "protecting Allegro from bad changes" is not even here anymore, people that was against cool stuff is not here anymore.

I think this forums is a really beautiful experience of life and I have learn a lot of things here related and not related to programming.

When I was suggesting a new website and all that, the answer I got was something like "Well... If it is better than the one we have right now, we may accept it...". I don't think that is the answer that a community should give to someone that is offering his time to work on a new website even when the current "official" Allegro website sucks.

This community cuts every little possible ramification of new members from the beginning and obviously that's not a good idea.

It's like "I won't do anything, but I won't allow you to do anything
neither"... Maybe I'm wrong but that is the image I have right now of this community. After all there is a lot of all member here talking and talking but the new changes almost always come from new people.

I have to say that I don't write here anymore not because all I have just said but because I really don't have the time. I'm about to start my own small company right now and I have been working a lot lately.

And bamccaig, I really think you should calm down man, you can't be against the world, if everyone is talking shit about you, you must be doing something wrong, don't try to be Eminem on real life, with all that controversy and stuff, at least he is making money and the rap industry is also everything about entertainment, instead you're just being and asshole.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I remember when I was giving suggestions and stuff for the wiki for example and other things and everyone here was like "No way, you're not going to change anything around here, everything here is just perfect, if you don't like it just leave, look all the mess you did" and stuff like that... And I was like... Okey...

I mean it was like "We have so many people working on Allegro!! Suck your suggestions if you want to do it, do it yourself, and do it well otherwise won't be accepted"

Maybe you misunderstood?

Admittedly we won't accept patches that aren't very good. And not a lot of us have time to implement things we don't actually care about. But that does not mean we won't accept new features or patches.

If you submit a patch that has promise, but isn't quite up to standard, we will ask you to make some changes. If its very close, it may just be applied and modified to fix small issues.

Quote:

When I was suggesting a new website and all that, the answer I got was something like "Well... If it is better than the one we have right now, we may accept it...". I don't think that is the answer that a community should give to someone that is offering his time to work on a new website even when the current "official" Allegro website sucks.

That's just it. why would we accept something that is worse than what we have now? That just doesn't make sense.

--

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I think AMCerasoli is suggesting that a more enthusiastic tone might help: "Wow, that's really generous of you! Put something together that's better than what's there now and we'll put it up :)" Saying that IF it's better than we MAY accept it depending on how we feel doesn't exactly encourage the contributor to try ;)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I think AMCerasoli is suggesting that a more enthusiastic tone might help: "Wow, that's really generous of you! Put something together that's better than what's there now and we'll put it up :)" Saying that IF it's better than we MAY accept it depending on how we feel doesn't exactly encourage the contributor to try ;)

I don't think I've ever said anything like "IF/MAY" to people. More like "We could use help" "A patch is most welcome!"

I don't know if any actual allegro dev has said things like that either.

--

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I think this forums is a really beautiful experience of life and I have learn a lot of things here related and not related to programming.

Agreed. The forum has definitely had a positive impact on me and my life. This is where I cut my teeth on C and then later C++ over a decade ago. Now I'm an associate professor at a community college teaching C, PHP, and web development concepts. It wouldn't have happened without you guys. *fist bump*

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Congratulations man, I'm really happy for you!

I haven't "made it" yet--but trust me, by time I'm done, Katko is going to be a household name. 8-) And I've got you guys to thank for helping me--even teaching me English grammar when I was unable to go to school.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Pay closer attention to the things he says, and tell me you think he isn't a hateful, spiteful person. Then tell me you think its worth spending time with him.

I'll admit that I don't often frequent the IRC Channel (or even these forums very often anymore) but I feel like I need to step in here and say something since bambams is my friend IRL (also, if I recall correctly it was I who introduced him to these forums like 9 or so years ago).

He is not a hateful spiteful person in real life. He's very calm and rational. He is opinionated yes, but not angry or aggressive. Despite the fact that I am a Christian I still enjoy hanging out with bambams and talking about motorcycles, video games, programming, work etc etc. He knows I'm a Christian and I know he's an Atheist and that doesn't usually come up at all when we are hanging out. I know I'm going to change what he believes just like he probably knows that he's not going to change my beliefs.

I suppose that's not how he is perceived on these channels though. I'm not sure what it is that causes him to post the way he does. It almost seems like his internal 'filter' is turned off as soon as he starts posting here.

Anyways, that's just my $0.02 on the matter.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

So bambams, what would your reaction have been if Aaron were physically there and you were talking to him at the time when he said he may as well not comment on anything, or at the time when he allegedly attacked someone (though I still haven't seen where he did that)? Likewise, whatever happened between you and Trent/NiteHackr - how would it have gone if it had been in person?

Text does feel different. For example, having a person standing in front of you makes you automatically accommodate that person in a way that you might not if it's text, and using text might make you feel everything has to be written in factual absolutes whereas speech might encourage you to phrase things more as opinions or thoughts.

--
The brxybrytl has you.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

So bambams, what would your reaction have been if Aaron were physically there and you were talking to him at the time when he said he may as well not comment on anything, or at the time when he allegedly attacked someone (though I still haven't seen where he did that)? Likewise, whatever happened between you and Trent/NiteHackr - how would it have gone if it had been in person?

Text does feel different. For example, having a person standing in front of you makes you automatically accommodate that person in a way that you might not if it's text, and using text might make you feel everything has to be written in factual absolutes whereas speech might encourage you to phrase things more as opinions or thoughts.

I never accused Aaron of "attacking" anyone. I just said that he is happy to be blunt and offensive himself. As for what I would have done in person, I can't speculate because it didn't happen in person. Odds are Aaron never would have said that in person because he never would have misunderstood who he was replying to.

You're right, the Internet does change how discussions happen. In real life, the biggest or best armed guy wins because if he's unwilling to have an open debate he can just bully anybody that disagrees with him into censoring themselves.

Do you consider this aspect of real life better? If you're trying to argue that Aaron or Trent would beat me up for disagreeing with them let's assume I'm armed with a gun for the debate to defend myself against stupid muscle. >:(

Go to: