Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » [A4] Does bitmap loading even work anymore?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[A4] Does bitmap loading even work anymore?
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

input loads.
input2 fails, and started as a PNG converted to a BMP by ImageMagick.

Both identify as bitmaps using the "$ identify [filename]" command from ImageMagick. Both identify as "windows bmp image" in Xubuntu File Manager.

Both load in all other programs.

I can't get Allegro 4 with loadpng to work. I can't get bitmaps to work. This is so bloody frustrating!

[edit] loadpng works now, yay. But what's with them dern bitermappers.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

#00JMP00
Member #14,740
November 2012

Some time ago, I found allegro (4.2) to be somewhat picky about bitmaps.

At the end I only could load bitmaps with the 24-bit tga load routine.
Furthermore it seemed to be dependent on the converter of the upper bitmap.

Maybe it helps.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Hm, allegro 4.4 should have support for many BMP formats, not all of them, you can't use any kind of encoding or compression. Stick to 8, 15/16 and 24bpp and it aught to work...

I seem to remember ms updated their bmp format somewhat recently (past 8 years?) And one of the allegro's adding support for that, but i can't remember if 4.4 got it or not. I think it's a new header chunk. Might try saving in an older BMP format if you can.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

You're probably thinking of https://github.com/liballeg/allegro5/commit/d4212d8b2a79d523aa35d8b2 and it's Allegro 5 only.

[edit:]

So what this means is, Allegro 4 could only load V1 bitmaps, i.e. header size of 12 byte or 40 byte. According to wikipedia these two formats were introduced with Windows 2.0 and Windows NT/3.1, respectively.

Allegro 5 on the other hand can read all headers, even V4 and V5 introduced with win95 and win98 :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Sounds really dumb that A4 never had V4/V5 :o it's new enough. If theres one thing that needs to be (and can be) backported, its this.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Except why would anybody ever use .bmp for anything? :P

--

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Elias said:

Except why would anybody ever use .bmp for anything? :P

obviously people do ;) but maybe they should use png instead, but hey.

--

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I couldn't get png to work at the time, so I tried to fallback on bmp. I spent an hour or two trying to find a mistake in my own code. :o

Regardless, it seems odd to support "bmp" but not 99% of them. At the very least, we need a big glaring "THIS WILL FAIL ON 'NEW' BITMAPS." text disclaimer in the A4 documentation.

Come to think of it, didn't I stumble head first into this same issue last year or two ago?

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I think maybe it's time i started a Allegro todo list for myself :o add some motivation to work on it.

There's some simple functions i want to add to a5, and a4 could use a little love now and then.

--

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I wonder if anyone except Microsoft supports more than 99% of the .bmp format. Among other things a .bmp can contain JPEG and PNG compressed data - it's one of those Microsoft formats which can basically contain anything.

--

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Elias said:

I wonder if anyone except Microsoft supports more than 99% of the .bmp format.

The ones I exported from VLC didn't work in Allegro. :-/

-----sig:

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Well, Alelgro 4 only supports 20% I guess, Allegro 5 should be 99% (probably same subset as VLC).

--

Go to: