Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Anyone else feel tolerance has gone too far?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Anyone else feel tolerance has gone too far?
Ben Delacob
Member #6,141
August 2005

So, GreenPeace shouldn't be allowed or shouldn't, morally, fire their (entirely made-up) CEO who believes in apartheid? Nobody would have the right to give McDonald's bad press if their president were a KKK white knight (again, this is completely hypothetical)? If Steve Jobs was funding NAMBLA (and still a living CEO)? Continue buying Apple!!???

People shouldn't allow themselves to judge an organization in any way just because of the beliefs of senior members? I don't see this happening in reality, with humans. If any of these things were true, it would make you think of them in association with the company, and probably have a negative impact on your support of said company.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Speaking out or acting in a certain way is never without consequences. Free speech simply guarantees that you will not be bothered by the government.

He should have seen it coming. You can't be an asshole and have your cake too.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

How does this decision impact your views of the Mozilla Corporation?

To me, it speaks volumes of their integrity and their commitment to their vision and purpose. The guy was a new CEO, created a PR issue, was asked to resign, and he did.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yeah, free speech doesn't guarantee people won't also then use their free speech to talk about what a horrible thing it is you just said.

Things actually have consequences y'all.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Yeah, like, this isn't rocket surgery.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I remember discussing this with my brother. His argument was that if men were allowed to marry other men, it would open the door to men marrying goats. I say marriage should be between two consenting adults and leave it at that. As for Mr. Eich being fired for something he did 6 years ago, how many of us have done something in the past that would have gotten us fired and not suffered any consequences? It is possible he was fired because someone wanted a reason. Yes, marriage has lost its meaning, I know a few people who live together and raise children as a family without it. They are happy and that is all that matters.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Oh no, it's already happening. I guess they were right after all :-X

Jerry Springer - I Married a Horse

video

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Bob Keane said:

I say marriage should be between two consenting adults and leave it at that.

Why only two consenting adults?

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Anyone see that episode of Penn & Teller? ;D

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Derezo said:

To me, it speaks volumes of their integrity and their commitment to their vision and purpose. The guy was a new CEO, created a PR issue, was asked to resign, and he did.

To me it'd be the opposite. It shows that a company will throw you away at the slightest issue of PR instead of standing behind you and telling everyone to screw off and get their facts straight.

It's also showing they don't do extensive checks on their future CEOs, or understand what people will actually be upset about. It's one, or two, notches against their company even if they automatically throw him away (which they did.)

Why only two consenting adults?

You bigot! How dare you oppress our right to have only monogamous marriages!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

To me it'd be the opposite. It shows that a company will throw you away at the slightest issue of PR instead of standing behind you and telling everyone to screw off and get their facts straight.

They (at least Mitchell Baker) did try to stand behind him in the beginning, and I'm pretty sure everyone involved have their facts straigth. But when he then published his non-apology blog post, he only made it worse.

Quote:

It's also showing they don't do extensive checks on their future CEOs, or understand what people will actually be upset about.

This issue (the donation) was known and had been a subject of discussion a few years ago, but he did not have such a high-profile position in the company back then.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It was nothing short of a witch hunt and it is only going to make things worse for the LGBT community having laid waste to a man's freedoms. If he doesn't even have the freedom to legally give his money to who he wants to then good luck fighting for the rights of homosexuals and transgendered individuals. You think you're on the right side of this debate by flailing your torches around, but you're really making things worse.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

The only freedom that was taken away was his freedom to be a jerk and still be the CEO of Mozilla, it's not like he's going to starve to death or anything. Religous bigots are now fighting a losing battle, and it's about time.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Allowing bigamy will NEVER happen. Before that happens, the whole word has to change and the concept as well. The word itself implies that one person is married to two persons. If bigamy would be allowed, I could marry another woman without asking my wife first. Perhaps I wouldn't even let her know. That might actually usually be the case, when someone has committed bigamy. It should be called threesome and it should include three persons, who get married together, at the same time. If a married couple decided to get a third person into the game, they should first divorce and then re-marry as a threesome. The main purpose of laws stating about marriage is to protect individuals, and a law about bigamy/threesome should take in consideration all aspects of a three person marriage. I bet it will be too difficult, that's why no law maker will take the challenge. Compared to that, gay marriage is a piece of fruitcake.

If you think the word threesome is not proper, I can tell you that in Finnish we have the clever verb naida, which means both to marry someone and to shag someone.

<edit />

Reminds me of a comedy, where the joke was about a guy, who thought bigamy was about two persons. He lived happily with his wife, until they heard that bigamy was illegal, so they decided to go trigamy. Which improved their sex life a lot. Well, it was all in Finnish, and therefore a lot funnier. Bigamy is kaksinnainti in Finnish, which refers to marrying twice. But if you think nainti is about shagging, kaksinnainti simply means two having a fuck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Allowing bigamy will NEVER happen. Before that happens, the whole word has to change and the concept as well.

You mean like it did with regards to gay marriage? Why can't consenting adults agree to become partners? It's now "obvious" in society that consenting adults should be able to become official partners, regardless of their genders. Why does the number of them magically matter?

Can you see the point I'm making? That what's "obvious" in a society changes, and even rapidly sometimes.

And note, I'm not stating my personal beliefs on the matter at all!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

I think polygamy sounds brilliant. Donald Trump's seven wives would probably all hate each other and fight over who gets to be his favorite. Sounds like another awful reality TV show in the making.

But seriously, I guess one problem with polygamy is that it can easily weaken individual rights and gender equality. It doesn't have to, but it could be difficult to figure out how it's going to work legally. I'm not against it on principle, but it sounds like it could get messy. What Johan said, basically.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Just live your life how you want. But don't expect support from society in forms of laws.

Perhaps someone can calculate the divorce rate for three people marriages. Say that the divorce rate is 50% for two people marriages (after x years whatever). And say that there's a divorce factor in each individual and maybe another divorce factor in each couple that end up in this 50%. And say that these same factors apply on a three person marriage. Could it be like this: there are three two-person relations in a three person marriage. Each of these might break with a 50% probability. So it will crash with a 87.5% probability. GOTO LINE 1

Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

The government doesn't want "two consenting adults" just for tax purposes. Married couples get extra tax benefits.

As for polygamy, good luck with that one.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I guess the idea is in most cultures that married parents, when supported by the society, is good for the children. Couples putting effort in marriage and family raise happier children. And couples put effort in marriage, if society supports it.

And now when we have gay couples with happy kids (I know two couples), society had better support them, too, since nothing shows that gay parents per se would mean anything less stable for children. Whereas my simplified calculus would imply that polygamy is more likely to fail.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Yeah, the best society will give you is an "Open Relationship" status on your social media profile.

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

If you don't feel that it is tolerance then don't call it that. Why double speak?

Has political correctness harassment gone too far? No it could go further. Much further than this. However between the special snowflake mozilla devs and the ads debacle I am going to use a mozilla fork.

And I'm NOT talking about swag!

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

1   2 

Go to: