Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » al_draw_prim filled in with color

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
al_draw_prim filled in with color
pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

Absolutel what Edgar said.

"Unstable" refers to the API, not the stability of the library itself. It means roughy that anything that's in 5.1 and NOT in 5.0 release is suject to change at any moment.

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Kris Asick
Member #1,424
July 2001

The reason I asked you to provide proof is because the burden is on you. You're the one who says it is deficient, so you should be the one to provide proof.
A better test would be to change the # of prims drawn per second until the fps drops. That would give you a better gauge of the capabilities of allegro.
And using 5.0.8 is not a good test. That's two versions behind the latest stable release, and probably miles away from the latest unstable release. 5.1.8 would be a better test or at least 5.0.10.
I'm not at home now, so I can't test anything, but maybe tomorrow I will be able to try things out.

Well, as Tomasu pointed out earlier, it's an OpenGL thing, and I've been stuck using OpenGL exclusively because I'm working with fragment shaders using the 5.0.x branch, thus I didn't know (and no one told me) that it only affected the OpenGL side of things. I mean, I COULD go up to the 5.1.x branch, but for making something I intend to sell it makes more sense to go with the stable branch and work within and around its limitations.

So yeah, Artelis, unless you're using OpenGL graphics exclusively (or intend to give the end-user the ability to choose between Direct3D and OpenGL) you don't seem to need to worry about al_draw_prim() performance. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- http://www.pixelships.com

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

it only affected the OpenGL side of things.

It's also a D3D thing. The APIs have a fair amount of overhead per draw call.

Quote:

for making something I intend to sell it makes more sense to go with the stable branch and work within and around its limitations.

Not sure I believe that when the actual stability is good, and has lots of bug fixes and new functionality you might want or need.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

Actually, if you're making a game and you plan to sell it in the next year or so, Allegro 5.1.x should be fine. API stability only matters if you're writing an application that will need very long term support.

And besides, I want to push for allegro 5.2 a bit more. Time for me to get cracking again.

1   2 

Go to: