Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Allegro 5 "marketing" :)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Allegro 5 "marketing" :)
SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

The things I didn't like, I changed.

Sure, perhaps splitting the page up would be good... but I don't think it's that long as is. It's already basically just links with link descriptions.

I should stress that the wiki should be verbose and clear... it is not a replacement for the liballeg.org website. It is the liballeg.org website that should be clean and easy to navigate. I don't think it's useful to compare the SFML download page with our wiki page.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

Great, but I suggest no more touches to the "main" wiki until we reach some form of agreement, and besides, i'd say we shlud DEFINITELY draft pages for approval before upstreaming any change.

We should tag the pages under "unofficial" or something along those lines until there's a ore clear undestading on where we're going.

I actually struggle to get things going right now you know, I'm about to get a flooded week but will try to do something at least, I think we0re moving on a good path, so far.

I'd like to see more discussione about the official site anyway, I think that it is top priority getting the front page a bit more immediate.

EDIT:

SiegeLord said:

I should stress that the wiki should be verbose and clear... it is not a replacement for the liballeg.org website. It is the liballeg.org website that should be clean and easy to navigate.

Well that's 100% true, but this page is a "getting started", and I think one does NOT get started in so MANY ways; also the page in the end derails quite a bit from "getting started", at lest to me seems clear.

Anyway I couldn't agree more about liballeg.org, and what I said in my post just before my edit just confirms my point of view.

Quote:

I don't think it's useful to compare the SFML download page with our wiki page.

The comparison was not meant 1:1 of course, and my suggestion was not wiki oriented...it's something you said also, we need the main platforms binaries availble, thus I was referring to that page for the list of binaries to explain my point (not to compare content or aestethics).

Slightly off-topic....it has been said that anyone's can modify the wiki and so forth, but I GUESS that there should be some kind of (light) peer-reviewing.

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

It doesn't seem that unclear, to me, of what needs to be done with the main page, so I'd rather somebody just make some mock-ups of how it'd look like. Here are some general points I'd prefer to be followed:

• I want the main page not to be dominated by news, I want it to be dominated by a feature list and something to show off.

• I want the sidebar to stay, I don't like headers as they are inefficient on wide screens. Frankly, the sidebar is already pretty good.

• I'd move all A4 under a legacy page, but I would not remove it altogether.

EDIT:

pkrcel said:

Well that's 100% true, but this page is a "getting started", and I think one does NOT get started in so MANY ways;

Well, you need to choose what to install, install it, learn to use it and learn where to get help. There's only so much you can cut before you make those things unclear. You shouldn't need to deviate from that page to go from nothing to an Allegro "hello world", and I think that page accomplishes that. Maybe the end could be split off into "further reading", but it's already at the end, so it doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

Siegelord , I've cross posted you editing my post.

On the other hand, I mostly agree with your points (especially the sidebar) and I would add that on your first point, I would like to see the front page like an "About Allegro" with a bit of what is allegro? - main features - fancy stuff (this needs work&agreement...screenshots..games...something light anyway, but a bit of eye candy shouldn't hurt).

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

I just noticed that the CMake build system which we use supports the generation of NSIS installers for Windows as well as packages for Linux, and for OSX through CPack.

Ideally, we should use CPack to generate a full options windows installer that also can install the sources if needed. Even better would be a single installer that supports all different Windows IDEs/compilers, if such a beast is possible.

http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:Component_Install_With_CPack
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:CPackPackageGenerators

I took a look at editing the main liballeg web page, but I don't now pandoc that well... I could manage to swap the news and the readme page around to make the latter the index page, but I don't know how I'd include the news into the readme page as well. Perhaps the headlines of the news should be somewhere else, in a side box under the menu or so???

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Concerning the website, I'd suggest to write a short introductory front page text in the Wiki first before actually changing anything, for example here, where I've collected the ideas from this thread.

In any case, we need to decide where the news should go.

SiegeLord said:

I want the sidebar to stay, I don't like headers as they are inefficient on wide screens. Frankly, the sidebar is already pretty good.

Agree.

Looking through the website, I'm not sure whether we still need the following:

• DIGMID

• Speedhack 1999-2005 under "Links" suggests the site is outdated

• "DJGPP mirrors" under "Mirrors" seems to be really outdated

• Why are there so many logos under "Logos"? Are these actually needed?

• Since there are no Allegro5 books, but only Allegro4 ones, maybe remove "Books" from the main sidebar?

Edit:
List of features:
We should put a list on the front page.
I'm thinking about an additional, more verbose list on an extra page, which would be combined with short code samples (two column layout?). Like one short code sample for every "feature", which should cover a common task and demonstrate how intuitive the API is. I'm not quite sure whether this is feasible, though. What do you think?

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Polybios said:

In any case, we need to decide where the news should go.

One news item on the front page is fine, otherwise it'll just be a separate page.

Quote:

Looking through the website, I'm not sure whether we still need the following:

Anything of those that's A4-only would go under the legacy page.

Quote:

Like one short code sample for every "feature", which should cover a common task and demonstrate how intuitive the API is.

That seems excessive... EDIT: Although perhaps the code sample could be elsewhere (wiki tutorial?) and there could just be a link.

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

SiegeLord said:

That seems excessive...

Well, I'm definitively pro code-samples on the website somewhere.
When I'm looking for a library I really like to get a feel for the API quickly so I can decide whether I like it or not. I think it's especially a good idea given Allegro's excellent and clean API.

SiegeLord said:

I should stress that the wiki should be verbose and clear... it is not a replacement for the liballeg.org website. It is the liballeg.org website that should be clean and easy to navigate

That's right. But do we have the info that is on the "Getting started" page on the website, too? That would be actually doubling maintenance effort.

So I'd argue that the "Getting started" page of the Wiki should be seen as an exception to what you said. It should be the only part of the wiki that is regarded as a part of the website, too. IMHO it should be like a hub which can then link to other verbose wiki articles (or somewhere else).

Generally all texts should follow guidelines for text on screen: short, to the point, structured, nicely grouped into paragraphs or lists where it makes sense, to avoid impression of wall-of-text.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Polybios said:

Well, I'm definitively pro code-samples on the website somewhere.

I'm just saying one code sample is enough.

Quote:

But do we have the info that is on the "Getting started" page on the website, too?

No. The main page just has features, download links and some navigation aids, news etc. 'Getting Started' wiki page is a tutorial linked from the main page... it doesn't have features or news.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

We could have a wiki page which is acts as a draft for such a page. Won't be much effort transferring it over.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Tried to write a draft for the introductory front page text. As I said, I'm no native speaker, so it will probably need correction.
List of features is still missing.

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

I updated that draft. Now ALL the allegro 5 features are there, but I feel the list looks too long, really. Maybe it's better to trim it down to the essential features or use an inline in stead of a list format.

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

I don't think it's too long. There should be a more or less complete list somewhere.
Maybe we can arrange the layout in a way that you wouldn't have to scroll down to reach download / getting started / other info? Then it would be ok I think.

5.1 features are not listed, while Android is there as supported platform. Either we should remove Android or add 5.1 features, too. Maybe mark them with an *? Or should we just stick to 5.0 there?

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

We don't need to list every feature. File IO, configuration routines and portable memory management are completely unexciting, for example, as is the memfile addon. Fixed point math is not exactly the top-most used feature either. Front page space is precious and shouldn't be wasted on trivia. If we want to have a thorough list, have a "And more!" link that goes to something more complete.

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

I think Siegelord is right, the feature list needs top be shorter. I put the whole deatailed feature list on the wiki:

http://wiki.allegro.cc/index.php?title=Allegro_5_Features

As for which features to mention, let's just get all the exciting ones and not care whether they are in 5.0 and 5.1. It's an introductory page to attract people, so we can gloss over the details a bit. I did that and trimmed the feature list down to the most exciting points.

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Very nice. :)

BTW: Do we really need news on 1) Official website 2) Wiki 3) Allegro.cc?

I have just ( ::) ) noticed that the wiki also has news on its front page. The official website seems to be the only one up-to-date...

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

The way I saw it, the official website will have news about Allegro (releases, development changes, and so on). The wiki will have news regarding the wiki (server changes and so on). Allegro.cc will have news regarding allegro.cc (new depot games and such).

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

I completely agree with SiegeLord, and I'd say that the separation between 5.0 and 5.1 should be done in the "And More!" section which is linked.

Maybe we could trim a bit further even...leaving the thing in a sequential non-bulleted list?

Elias said:

The way I saw it, the official website will have news about Allegro (releases, development changes, and so on). The wiki will have news regarding the wiki (server changes and so on). Allegro.cc will have news regarding allegro.cc (new depot games and such).

I'm still voting for getting the liballeg.org news feeded to the a.cc news (whilst maintaning the possibility to ADD news about new games and such as it is now).

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Elias said:

Thought so too, but people do seem to post about releases on allegro.cc / wiki news, albeit not regularly. Which leads to the impression of outdated news. :(

pkrcel said:

I'm still voting for getting the liballeg.org news feeded to the a.cc news (whilst maintaning the possibility to ADD news about new games and such as it is now).

Optimal solution would be this including the wiki news, so every newsfeed is up-to-date concerning Allegro releases or we should somehow discourage people from posting news about releases on the wiki / allegro.cc news.

Well, whatever, I guess it's maybe not that important.

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

I formatted the feature lists as tables with 3 columns, each with 1 row per column, and with a bullet list in each of the 3 table cells. I'm not sure Pandoc supports the table format of Wikipedia, but, we can always generate the HTML manually in a pinch. Anyway, is this better? Or make it 2 columns in stead?

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Hmm, maybe it's only me, but I think if the features in the columns aren't related somehow, it's rather confusing.

pkrcel said:

Maybe we could trim a bit further even...leaving the thing in a sequential non-bulleted list?

You mean a "normal" enumeration? We'd really need to shorten the list further then, because otherwise it'll only make things less clear, IMHO.

I'd say these

Quote:

Portable handling of file I/O, configuration files, file paths and the file system.
Portable handling of timers, time and threads.

and those

Quote:

Converting between various color formats.
Loading resources from archives via PhysicsFS.

could go. Short enough? I think it could become difficult to agree on some "essential features".

Or maybe just have a link to the page with the full list of features there?

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

I've been looking at it but can't make my mind around it....features are good but as Siegelord's says there's not so much "woo" effect in some...

I'd say that your two latter items could go. Unconvinced of the first two thou.

Phrasz
Member #10,091
August 2008

I remember when I was new and enthusiastic to the forums...

Those were the days.

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

I'm not new to Allegro, though, I started using it back then on DOS and DJGPP. And your (less enthusiastic?) contribution to the wiki would be most welcome. :)

Phrasz
Member #10,091
August 2008

Pssssssssh. To the forums you are new :P.

I used to contribute to the wiki. Mostly it was in my IDE days with Code::Blocks. The issue with the wiki it has a terrible search backend, and Google is faster. Also, it's hard to latch on to tutorials when Allegro has no defined "cradle to grave" across all systems for either starting from scratch or grabbing the binaries.

For instance I have my crazy source builder that works on powershell, I use clang from the command shell, and leverage git. Most of which is NOT automated.

We'd be better off making a Vagrant powered VM that has ALL toolchains for cross platform building that dumps the built binaries to a host machine, than building the wiki... IMHO.

Go to: