Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Anyone ever contribute to Wikipedia?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Anyone ever contribute to Wikipedia?
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

What are your experiences with them?

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Good and bad, do you have a more specific question?

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

How much is it of a holywars place, and how do the admins handle the holywars?

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

I think it depends on the subject of the article. I've only contributed to some technical articles, usually no problem there. Except when one of the articles I spent some time improving were deleted, that pissed me off.

APPEND: It's important to keep in mind that you don't have much actual control over what happens to your contributions. So you probably don't want to invest more in them than you can afford to lose, if that makes sense.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I don't know if ReyBrujo is still lurking around here, but he used to spend a lot of time cleaning up Wikipedia.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

torhu said:

Except when one of the articles I spent some time improving were deleted, that pissed me off.

Ditto. I freaking hate that.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Apart from donating cold hard money, I have not contributed anything.

torhu said:

Except when one of the articles I spent some time improving were deleted, that pissed me off.

<zen>
Do what you do. When you are done, let go of it and be in the Here And Now. Your emotional suffering (being pissed off) is a consequence of not accepting the fact that it was deleted and of attaching a negative valuation to the deletion.

Stop your perception after the fact "the article was deleted" and do not proceed towards judgement and emotional reaction.
</zen>

Quote:

It's important to keep in mind that you don't have much actual control over what happens to your contributions. So you probably don't want to invest more in them than you can afford to lose, if that makes sense.

<zen>
It makes sense. There is potential for emotional suffering in it because of the implied negative valuation that "losing" or "doing it for nothing" is bad or that doing it would have been a "waste of your time" if your contributions are changed/deleted/whateverified or maybe even if you are doing it without a reward. You only do as much as you want to do and then you let go of it and move on. You should reward yourself if you want to and keep in mind that your "experience while doing" is not nullified regardless of what is going to "happen" to your contributions.
</zen>

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Wow, zen is really some dumb shit :o

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

It works for me and I consider it to be helpful and wise to reduce unnecessary and painful emotional suffering. With practice, it might work for you as well. If you have any specific questions or comments on which parts you consider irrational, I will try to explain to the best of my knowledge (not a zen master myself).

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Basically, I created something that was supposed to last for years, only to have it undone a few days or weeks later. Pretending I don't care doesn't really help. If I get pissed off, it helps me to remember that Wikipedia is not necessarily worthwhile contributing to, or at least that I should think twice the next time. So I think it servers a purpose. The point is, I can actually do something about it, I'm not getting pissed for nothing.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

torhu said:

I created something that was supposed to last for years

Zen is about being Here And Now without worrying/fantasizing about the past or the uncertain future (your thoughts were in the uncertain future there with a fixed expectation about how it was going to be).

Quote:

only to have it undone

This pattern of thought (specifically the "only to") is what nullifies the effort (but only in your mind). The experience of writing/creating what you created is still yours to keep and can not be nullified by anything other than your own judgement/valuation about what happened to it. In fact you already know that, except you attach an unnecessary negative emotion to it (see near further down in this post *).

Quote:

Pretending I don't care doesn't really help.

Zen is about being, not about pretending. It is also not about pretending to not care or not caring. It is about being in the Here And Now with your thoughts and body, to do what you are doing right now and to fully commit yourself to that activity. If you manage to do that with everything you do and if at anytime you realize that your thoughts are straying to the past or the future, you direct your thoughts back to the moment and the current activity and you will care, you will care a lot for it is the current activity itself which is important in zen.

An example: Your life could be over anytime, in a minute, a day, a week, a month, a year, ten years. Being Here And Now with your thoughts and committing yourself fully to your current activity is what is enabling you to not constantly worry about that and care about your current activity even though you theoretically know it will all have been "for nothing" in the very end.

Quote:

If I get pissed off, it helps me to remember that Wikipedia is not necessarily worthwhile contributing to, or at least that I should think twice the next time. So I think it servers a purpose. The point is, I can actually do something about it, I'm not getting pissed for nothing.

You feel you are not getting pissed for nothing but it is unnecessary emotional suffering here *. Your goal was to create something which would last for years. You did not achieve that goal in this one instance, got pissed by it * and based on that experience decided to think twice next time and do something about it and you formed in your mind the overgeneralized rule that Wikipedia in its entirety is not necessarily worthwhile to contribute to.

You could mindfully reach the same conclusion without getting pissed, without suffering through that negative emotion if you stop your thoughts after the perception of the fact about the deletion of your contributions and still decide not to contribute again to that topic or Wikipedia in its entirety. The consequences are the same, with or without emotional suffering attached to it.

That being said. If you analyze your thoughts closely, you might come to the conclusion that you did not get pissed by the deletion of your contributions but rather by the fact that your expectations (thoughts about the future during your activity) were not met.

The disappointment accompanying that is understandable.

Had you been Here And Now with your thoughts during the activity itself (writing your contributions =: x) and also Here And Now when you noticed the article was deleted (whatever you were doing at that moment =: y), your mind would not have had much of a chance to suffer emotionally, because you would have not worried/fantasized about the future during x and also you would not have worried about the immutable past during y.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

I just can't go around pretending that nothing I do has any value to me, why would I do it then? Feelings is what you attach to things that have value to you, it's ultimately how you know or decide what matters. Zen still sounds pretty dumb, Sorry :P

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Dennis said:

Zen is about being, not about pretending

How does living in the present and not being pissed off sound stupid?

Unless you prefer to be pissed off over being neutral.

What Dennis is describing is more of a life perspective. Nobody should expect of you to understand it or even accept it. Though stupid is not how I would describe it.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Pouring your heart and soul into anything can blow up. Such is life. I think Dennis has recently "discovered" zen and is taking it a little too pedantically.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

torhu said:

I just can't go around pretending that nothing I do has any value to me

As already written. Zen is not about pretending. In Zen the value is in the activity itself. When it is done, the next activity comes along. This ensures there is value, always and at any given moment. Zen is about being, not about having. In terms of "value": Everything you do is value. That is zen.

Quote:

Feelings is what you attach to things that have value to you

That seems quite unspecific and wrong in this context. Zen is not about not "having" any feelings at all. Being mindful about your feelings is to analyze and see where they are pointless, where they cause unnecessary emotional suffering. Putting value on things and attaching feelings to things is a source for potential suffering, especially if the consequences you draw from that have a potential to cause even more suffering.

Quote:

ultimately how you know or decide what matters

If you practice Zen, everything "matters", for as written above, the value is already in the activity itself.

Quote:

Zen still sounds pretty dumb, Sorry :P

No need to be sorry. I am enjoying this activity (writing to you about zen). It is a great opportunity for me to reflect upon my own understanding of it.

append

I think Dennis has recently "discovered" zen and is taking it a little too pedantically.

That is correct and being pedantic is how I am. The great thing about zen is, it helps me to eliminate, at the very least to be mindful about my own unnecessary emotional suffering which is/was caused by being pedantic/rigid about many things and irrational personal rules and hardwired emotional responses about how things should be how they should be "valued".

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

So basically, if I come over to your place and thrash all your stuff, you wouldn't get upset? 8-)

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

I don't think Dennis is a "Stone Buddha", which is a typical logical fallacy/tendency of those who have seemingly little more than a passing knowing of the Buddhist dialogue/continuum, to make.

www.justanotherturn.com

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

torhu said:

So basically, if I come over to your place and thrash all your stuff, you wouldn't get upset? 8-)

I probably would because I have not mastered the zen way and I am not fully free from thinking in terms of "having" yet and I like using some of my stuff (not all of it and I already let go and got rid of a lot of stuff and I still have lots of crap left that I really do not need for any activity but for whatever irrational reason still can not let go).

Me getting upset about it would still be unnecessary emotional suffering for my mind because with or without it, it would change nothing about the fact that among the thrashed things (to which I should not feel attached to in the first place for they are only things and they are not a piece of me) are the things I actually like to use in some of my activities.

Also, with or without the emotional suffering, it would change nothing about the fact that I would call the police and sue you for monetary compensation in order to be able to replace the things that I need for my activities.

In the case that I would get upset, I would spent a lot of time and energy on holding on to my anger prior to initiating the call to the police.

In the case that I would be mindful and fully aware about the situation Here And Now, I would call the police right away, calmly wait for their arrival and let the course of things proceed naturally without suffering at all.

So either way, the consequence would be me, trying to replace the stuff I need. One way with a lot of unnecessary emotional pain, the other way, free from suffering.

The question is: Would you be mindfully thrashing my stuff and commit yourself to that activity or would you fantasize/worry about consequences while doing so?

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

I guess that depends on how you big and scary you are ::)

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

torhu said:

I guess that depends on how you big and scary you are ::)

So you would not be mindful about it. That sentence holds in it expectations about the uncertain future. Precisely, there is the implied assumption that there would be a fight between you and me, if you did thrash my stuff. Well, there could be a fight, if you forced it upon me, I would defend myself, naturally, while trying to be mindful about it without having unnecessary emotions (like fear or anger) which could negatively affect my performance in the fight.

Without that expectation of a fight between you and me and without assuming whether you would win or lose and without thinking about any other consequences, you might actually be able to enjoy the activity of thrashing my stuff. And later down the road, regardless of consequences, you could be mindful about whatever it is you are doing then, without emotional suffering (like having regrets or being angry about losing money) when you are sentenced to pay for replacing my stuff.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

What an insightful discussion of Wikipedia. ::)

-----sig:

Michael Faerber
Member #4,800
July 2004

I agree, it is a very interesting discussion. Thank you for your insights, Dennis.

A little bit more on topic: I have contributed to Wikipedia, mostly error correction. Once I've created a new article with a friend, and that was quite funny, because as soon as we had finished the first draft, somebody deleted the article, and we had to explain to them that we would continue working on it. At the end of the day, the article was quite long already, and we wrote on on the discussions page that we would not continue to work on the article that same day because we needed to get some sleep, about which the guy who had kept deleting my article complained even years later!
Mind you, other people improved the article after us, so the article is now rather complete. If it had been for that deleter, the article would not exist today anymore.

--
"The basic of informatics is Microsoft Office." - An informatics teacher in our school
"Do you know Linux?" "Linux? Isn't that something for visually impaired people?"

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I think in 2006 or so I created a fake account on Wikipedia and marked lots of uninteresting articles for deletion. About two thirds were successful. It was fun seeing the deletion discussions and votes and (sometimes) the overturn-of-action discussions even after there was a decision to delete/keep :x

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

1   2 

Go to: