Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » new toy doodle/drawing thread

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
new toy doodle/drawing thread
GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

pop !

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Yay, thread is still alive! :)

Thanks for all the kind replies and explanations and doodles! :D

Colored pencils on paper: (drawn in ergo therapy)

{"name":"path__rocks_and_trees_by_disappearingbuddy-d6p61d8.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/a\/0a3340c3ac387c1b9341b9a4c9cd3ecd.jpg","w":1280,"h":900,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/a\/0a3340c3ac387c1b9341b9a4c9cd3ecd"}path__rocks_and_trees_by_disappearingbuddy-d6p61d8.jpg

Or maybe try and stop drinking and take up the psychotherapy my doctor keeps suggesting.

Yes!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

Ahh, beautiful painting Dennis :o

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

Love those steady traits in the pencils, really good!

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Yeah, nice drawing Dennis ! Why not try that on a copy of your black and white girl ? I mean, heh, colorize it !

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

Part of a tileset I'm currently working on. :)

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Thanks a lot guys. Getting praised makes me feel good. :)

@GullRaDriel: Yes, maybe I'll draw/paint some humans in color someday. Colorizing existing pencil art does not work too well, the colors will all end up looking dirty.

yesterdays doodle in my sketchbook (drawn in a Bistro, going outside doing stuff I'm afraid of is part of the therapy):
{"name":"cola_at_china_wu_in_heide_by_disappearingbuddy-d6qkvyd.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/6\/76a58c28d59092354bf2edd3efec2342.png","w":425,"h":593,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/6\/76a58c28d59092354bf2edd3efec2342"}cola_at_china_wu_in_heide_by_disappearingbuddy-d6qkvyd.png

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Dennis said:

(drawn in a Bistro, going outside doing stuff I'm afraid of is part of the therapy)

Is that for Agoraphobia or Social Anxiety Disorder?

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

It's meant to treat Social Phobia, which according to google is the same as SAD. I'm making good progress on it, un- & re- wiring bad self programmings of the mind.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I did a group therapy program for Social Phobia, in which we had to do the same sorts of exercises (going to stores, cafes etc.) as well as specific tasks to bring attention to ourselves in public (such as standing under a street sign and asking people going by how to get to that street), and it really did help a lot, especially when tied in with the cognitive therapy.

What really helped me get used to going to bars, cafes, etc. was getting a hospitality job. It allowed me to be in that environment, but still remain control of it. Ten years ago, I rarely ever left the house, and when I did it was only with somebody I knew well and trusted. Now I can pretty much go anywhere anytime and not have an issue.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I did a therapy (CBT) for social phobia (bad enough that I was scared to death of any person coming my way on the sidewalk) for a whole year in 2010, also combined with a group therapy. Both of them had me do lots of exercises. But I did it completely wrong somehow and so it was counterproductive.

For example to enter a cafe, I approached the entrace, panic mode kicked in and I turned back. Then I would circle the block once or twice and finally push myself to walk in, shivering and sweating. Then endure a horrible 15-30 minutes in there, staring at the table not daring to move my head. Then finally get out again, drive home and spend several hours recovering from the experience.

I managed to do that maybe 3 or 4 times a week - but my anxiety didn't change. If at all that year just increased my fear of cafes. I still remember how glad I was when I finally stopped the therapies (having wasted lots of money) and could just stay at home and not leave the house for weeks again until running out of food :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Elias said:

I managed to do that maybe 3 or 4 times a week - but my anxiety didn't change. If at all that year just increased my fear of cafes. I still remember how glad I was when I finally stopped the therapies (having wasted lots of money) and could just stay at home and not leave the house for weeks again until running out of food

I'm sorry to hear both that it didn't work for you and that you had to pay for it. I guess I was very lucky in that the Christchurch Anxiety Disorders Unit was considered to be one of the best in the world and was also completely free.

It sounds like you experience a great deal of negative reinforcement, which as you said, is very counterproductive. Was nobody monitoring your progress, or were you just not reporting accurately? Your therapist should have, given the correct information, recognized that you didn't have sufficient systems in place to get you through the exposure exercises.

Allowing people who aren't ready to enter social situations do so on their own is completely negligent. It should be a graduated process where each step is monitored so that the next stage doesn't commence until you are ready for it.

I hope you won't let the experience you had stop you from pursuing further treatment. A solid CBT regimen coupled with a well regulated exposure plan really can work.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Dennis said:

It's meant to treat Social Phobia, which according to google is the same as SAD

If by SAD you mean Seasonal Affective Disorder they are most definitely not the same thing.

SAD is depression mainly triggered or made worse by winter.

LennyLen said:

I hope you won't let the experience you had stop you from pursuing further treatment. A solid CBT regimen coupled with a well regulated exposure plan really can work.

Yeah. I totally agree. I took a CBT course a local place was providing. It did help, but it was pretty short, and run kinda haphazardly. They just went through the booklet and let us tell stories of progress and whatnot.

My current road block is a lack of time, and so far, no doctor has referred me back to a long term psychologist. I had some free sessions at a gov't program that only gives you like 6, and then some courses like CBT...

Gah.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

I'm still amazed at how BADLY social disorders are treated nowadays, even globaly.

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

There are many places that don't even think mental illness is a thing. All you get is a "Buck up!" or "BE A MAN!" type of thing.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

If by SAD you mean Seasonal Affective Disorder they are most definitely not the same thing.

SAD as in Social Anxiety Disorder. It's what the DSM is calling Social Phobia since DSM-V.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

LennyLen said:

SAD as in Social Anxiety Disorder. It's what the DSM is calling Social Phobia since DSM-V.

I see. Sucks that people have been using SAD for something else for a while. Figure they couldn't have picked something else...

--

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

LennyLen said:

Was nobody monitoring your progress, or were you just not reporting accurately?

Well, my counselor just didn't know what else she could tell me I guess. I just made zero progress. After a while she started being visibly bored by the sessions... but I was way to scared of asking to quit or not showing up anymore, so dragged on for a whole year :p

Quote:

I hope you won't let the experience you had stop you from pursuing further treatment.

Oh, I accidentally cured myself earlier this year in some unconventional way. But it's really nice being able to experience the world like everyone else now, even if I had to turn 35 first :/

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

There are many places that don't even think mental illness is a thing. All you get is a "Buck up!" or "BE A MAN!" type of thing.

Think of it this way. They do think of it as mental illness, but they just have a very straight forward way of dealing with it. Not that the way would be very helpful in most cases.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Think of it this way. They do think of it as mental illness, but they just have a very straight forward way of dealing with it.

I really don't think that's the case. They think you're being lazy and just need to be less lazy. Many people can't comprehend mental illness.

--

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

It hasn't been that long since the only thing you could do with a mentally ill person was to throw them in an asylum out of sight. What we have now is some improvement.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

This province's old school asylum is located near my neighborhood. It really does look like an asylum. It's creepy. They don't use that building for much of anything afaik, they have newer less scary, and more useful buildings for actual treatment.

--

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

They don't use that building for much of anything afaik

Are there people in it?

Go to: