Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Anyone here play around with FPGAs?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Anyone here play around with FPGAs?
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I got my FPGA installed. I don't like that it doesn't come with a metal bracket to keep the board from touching my videocard. I'm kind of afraid to leave it in my computer for any long length of time.

My throughput using the Thruput Demo is 640 MB/s read, 461 MB/s write. Is that similar for you?

Lastly, to get your Diamond license, log into your Lattice account and then go to support->licenses and you can request it.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Is that similar for you?

Haven't had a chance to test it.

Quote:

Lastly, to get your Diamond license, log into your Lattice account and then go to support->licenses and you can request it.

Thanks! I was looking for that.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I have a daunting feeling like I'm going to to feel in-over-my-head for the next few weeks at least.

Haven't had a chance to test it.

Just download the test from the website, and run it. The bitstream is already on the FPGA. The windows driver for it is located in the zip file as well.

Also, Lattice Diamond default directory for searching for the license file is NOT C:\lscc\diamond\2.1_x64\licenses\ even though it said it was. The environment variable wasn't set like it should be, and the default is C:\flexlm\license.dat so I just made the directory.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Just download the test from the website, and run it. The bitstream is already on the FPGA. The windows driver for it is located in the zip file as well.

I haven't had a chance to test it :P doing research all day today, and going to see the new Star Trek movie tonight (leaving right now actually).

append:
WOW it ties the license to a physical machine. What a crock.

append2:

Lattice just charged my card $233 for a $99 board. What the hell? AND I had to pay Import+GST on it when it got here? Fucking retarded.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

What the crap? Send it back and deny the charge.

I bought mine through a vendor, not their website. But I live in the US so I don't know what import will be.

As for the licensing, I think that's pretty common (you pay per "seat" per year) and I've heard that they're pretty good about sending you a new key if you change platforms. You are potentially playing around with tens of thousands of dollars worth of software IP cores.

On a related sidenote, I've been playing around a lot with Logisim lately, a free digital logic simulator/designer. It supports subcircuits which is really cool and useful, so you can design an ALU and then back out and use a single ALU control block.

http://ozark.hendrix.edu/~burch/logisim/shot-2.7.0.png

-----sig:

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I talked to them about it, got a bunch of the extra refunded. Not all of it, but w/e.

--

J-Gamer
Member #12,491
January 2011

On a related sidenote, I've been playing around a lot with Logisim lately, a free digital logic simulator/designer. It supports subcircuits which is really cool and useful, so you can design an ALU and then back out and use a single ALU control block.

In our first semester of uni, we had to make a simple 16-bit processor in it and run some simple programs on that using a simple assembly language.
https://github.com/J-Gamer/Data-path

" There are plenty of wonderful ideas in The Bible, but God isn't one of them." - Derezo
"If your body was a business, thought would be like micro-management and emotions would be like macro-management. If you primarily live your life with emotions, then you are prone to error on the details. If you over-think things all the time you tend to lose scope of priorities." - Mark Oates

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

J-Gamer said:

In our first semester of uni, we had to make a simple 16-bit processor in it and run some simple programs on that using a simple assembly language.

Wow, I envy you. In our typical public college we probably wouldn't do stuff like that till our last year.

Although, I was recently watching some lectures from MIT/Stanford/etc and telling my wife how the pacing of their classes (two to three CS topics per class meeting and zero hand holding) is way more my intelligence level (whereas I'm bored to hell at my public institution's slow pacing). So once I get a job, if I go back to grad I'm definitely going to consider going to a higher up university.

-----sig:

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

...and telling my wife...

Whoa, whoa, hold the fuck up. >:( When did you get married and where was my invite? ???

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

I've done VHDL on altera and xilinix.

I also bought a $11k pci-e fpga on ebay for $300 from some Israeli students who were done with it for their project.

[EDIT] it's an altera stratix card.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

Whoa, whoa, hold the up. When did you get married and where was my invite?

Last July. :) I've been dealing with the whole "my spine is collapsing" thing and subsequent transformation into wolverine over the last two years and she's been there by my side the whole way. She's my other half.

{"name":"AFZukvA.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/7\/678ea22e5a1405f3e60c2b0f180ecd39.jpg","w":700,"h":700,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/7\/678ea22e5a1405f3e60c2b0f180ecd39"}AFZukvA.jpg

m c said:

I've done VHDL on altera and xilinix.

Great! I might have to pick your brain from time to time!

Quote:

I also bought a $11k pci-e fpga on ebay for $300 from some Israeli students who were done with it for their project.

[EDIT] it's an altera stratix card.

That sounds beautiful.

-----sig:

1   2 

Go to: