Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Opinion on Windows 8 on the PC/Laptop

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
Opinion on Windows 8 on the PC/Laptop
Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I stand by my words. Everyone complaining is just dense.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Is that all you got? Been called worse by my mother. >:(

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

So have I. :o

(not sure what that means... burn?)

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Anyone who can't work efficiently with Windows, Mac AND Linux is just unskilled in my books. They all provide everything anyone with a little sense can be productive with.

Unskilled because we can't afford to own all of these platforms? I have some choice words for you, but I will refrain. Just because YOU can work with all of these doesn't make everyone else that can't "unskilled". I am skilled in what I do, I don't NEED to use a Mac, so I don't. I know Linux to a limited degree, but I haven't had much of a need or desire to use it more extensively (although I may). But to claim I am flat out "unskilled" because I don't use all of these is pretty harsh.

Or perhaps they have an opinion t hat differs from yours? My concerns about Windows 8 are completely valid and companies like Valve, Blizzard and the author of Minecraft have went on record having the same concerns. I guess they're "dense" as well right?

A friend of mine at church today had his laptop opened up with Windows 8 on it. He likes it, and that is his right, but I had to chuckle when he hit the wrong key and suddenly lost his desktop and couldn't find where it went.

I do not like the Windows 8 interface, this doesn't make me dense or unskilled, it makes me a human being with an opinion and different preferences that you have. I do not like Microsoft's rules for getting approved which seems to lean heavily away from open source. I do not like how it is required that your app uses an API approved by them, and only available from THEIR store. I do not like how Windows 8 treats my game like a potential hazard when someone goes to install it simply because it wasn't approved by Microsoft. These are all valid concerns. Don't like my opinion? Tough! >:(

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

I've played around with Windows 8 and it does look nicer than 7 but I might just stick with Windows 7; my desktop has Windows 7 anyway. I would probably use Windows XP if it was still available and the security holes were patched up.

If Windows 8 has better performance, would that mean that Microsoft has no interest in improving Windows 7's performance?

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Wow, spitting venom but obviously didn't understand what I said or read where I explained what I meant.

I wasn't saying you have to use it, I was just saying you should be able to. And not complain and blame the OS for being "hard to use".

You can have your preferences, but if Windows (or others) is "too broken" for you to use, it's you that's broken because most people can use it just fine. And that's completely unrelated to the MS lockdown (as I think is those people/companies you mentioned's opposition to Windows 8, since none of them would have any problem getting certified.)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Archon said:

If Windows 8 has better performance, would that mean that Microsoft has no interest in improving Windows 7's performance?

Of course not. Windows 8 is Windows 7 with a different Shell. Windows 7 support is ending in a year or so. By that time we'll probably have Windows 8.5 or Windows 9 or Windows Blue or whatever they'll call it.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Of course not. Windows 8 is Windows 7 with a different Shell. Windows 7 support is ending in a year or so.

Apparently it is scheduled to stop in early 2015.

When they say "stop supporting", that means that they'll stop programming patches while the existing patches will still be available on Microsoft Update?

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I just want my start button back. Honestly, it's worse than Ubuntu Unity and that's saying something.

The good thing about the start menu is you can hide a million shortcuts inside them and they don't take up any space. You can't do that with the stupid tile system.

In my case there are about 20 programs that come with my printer/scanner and they aren't on my tiles (thank god), but there is no 'all programs' to find them.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

it's you that's broken because most people can use it just fine.

"Most people use it just fine" because, broken as it is, it's still easier than doing a 10000 cell spreadsheet with paper and calculator.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Do you honestly believe you're smarter than all Windows users? Or that Linux users use it because they're really smart?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Do you honestly believe you're smarter than all Windows users? Or that Linux users use it because they're really smart?

I believe most people use Windows because "that's what everybody else uses", assuming they've bothered to recognize the numerable clues that there is such a thing as an OS at all.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Most people use Windows because they can play games and use Microsoft Office.

Yes, I know you can play cribbage and typing tutor on Linux.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Most people use Windows because it comes installed on their computer when they buy it.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

LennyLen said:

Most people use Windows because it comes installed on their computer when they buy it.

Hence my addendum above about knowing alternative OS'es exist.

In this house, there are 5 of us ATM, one is a workaholic that I don't know very well beyond how bossy and pushy she is, she uses Windows but I have no idea how often or how she uses it, or even if she's above or below average intelligence. Her daughter is too stupid to realize just how stupid she is. I know the daughter is into all that Facebook Myspace type crap, and can actually download an MP3, given enough time. The third one seems average intelligence, a bit dependant, and she's had me help her with her computer a couple of times, but won't run user mode, and her password is 5 lowercase characters of a popular nickname. Of course my suggestions to run user mode with 15 or more characters in the password result in much eye rolling. The lease holder (rent to buy) thinks all computers are too hard to use, and therefore a waste of time. There was another woman here a couple of years ago with a Windows laptop, one day last summer she was here without it and asked to use mine to check out some job sites. When she was done, I asked her "How did you like using Linux?" and she replied "Linux? What's that?".

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Wow, spitting venom but obviously didn't understand what I said or read where I explained what I meant.

I understood you completely.

What's not to understand about:

Anyone who can't work efficiently with Windows, Mac AND Linux is just unskilled in my books.

and...

You're being an asshat.

---

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

No you didn't. Your rant made no sense and it was plainly obvious you misunderstood. But oh well, have fun.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I gave away my old laptop without telling then it was running XUbuntu. The feedback I got was "Which version of Windows is this? It's so much faster and never crashes." They hadn't realized the difference, because they were able to even install and run Windows software automatically via WINE.

Market share has more to do with, uhm, marketing and bias than it does with actual product features. There's no way Windows is significantly better than OS X. And if you want to argue cost as a reason, then Linux ought to be in the lead.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

furinkan said:

Its only a loss because she wanted to install iTunes and sync her music.

I wouldn't consider that a loss in the slightest...

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Okay Trent, what was it I misunderstood about this? Explain? I don't work with a Mac and I haven't programmed on Linux, although I do try and use cross platform tools so I can keep my options open. Where I may not know everything I need to, I know enough to do something on Windows. I take offence to being labelled as unskilled because I may never use a Mac for example.

What was it I misunderstood? How did you REALLY mean this? If you meant it differently, than perhaps you are unskilled at getting your point across effectively and clearly.

Anyone who can't work efficiently with Windows, Mac AND Linux is just unskilled in my books.

also, what did I misunderstand about...

Please, feel free to explain yourself as I would rather fully understand what you REALLY meant, because it seems to mean if I can't work with all three platforms than I am unskilled and if I complain, I am dense... but if there is some hidden, coded meaning in here, I would like to know what it is. Because, I am too unskilled and dense to see the real meaning.

---

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

He's just saying he doesn't like OS elitist. You two are escalating the situation over nothing. Time to kiss and make up. :-*

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

You mean like people who call others "dense" if they don't like an OS? ;)

I agree though, it's why I dislike Windows 8, because they're pushing their own API and punishing those who use open source, cross platform tools. In order for manufacturers to be able to package Windows 8 with their hardware they have to have their BIOS so you can't install any other OS... but what do I know, I am unskilled and dense.

---

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

NiteHackr said:

I agree though, it's why I dislike Windows 8, because they're pushing their own API and punishing those who use open source, cross platform tools. In order for manufacturers to be able to package Windows 8 with their hardware they have to have their BIOS so you can't install any other OS... but what do I know, I am unskilled and dense.

I don't know what you mean by "punishing" those who use open source. Maybe you just mean "ignoring"? What kind of punishment are you thinking of?

As for your claim that the BIOS must block the installation of other OSs, that's simply untrue. You're spreading FUD.

-----------

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Windows 8 likes to refuse to run unsigned or unknown programs.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Well, you can only get your software approved for the Microsoft store by using Microsoft approved APIs that are available from their store.

If your software isn't approved, than there is a huge warning screen when you go to install it that I already posted.

You should look into the requirements for getting approved from Microsoft themselves if you haven't already, I did, and it was ridiculous.

If I see an Allegro game, compiled with a GNU compiler on their store, than I will totally change my mind about them. Feel free to share a link to one, I would be happy to be wrong about this.

As for Microsoft making it difficult to install other OSes on Windows 8 PCs...

http://www.zdnet.com/2013-installing-linux-on-windows-8-pc-is-still-a-pain-7000009237/

and an article on how Microsoft is making things difficult for software developers...

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120801/16375119910/game-developers-concerned-about-potentially-closed-windows-8.shtml

These aren't simply my own ideas... it's fact.

---

1   2   3   4 

Go to: