Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » PS4 FTW/FTL ?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
PS4 FTW/FTL ?
Phrasz
Member #10,091
August 2008

IMO I'm: "meh" on the topic. The thing is x86 with 8GB ram, and a 2 TFLOP GPU (Less than Nvidia GTX 590's and above...)

Your guys' thoughts?

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Bambam, Baffles, and I are already waiting in line to get one. >:(

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

BAF is going to resell a bunch of them on ebay.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Technically it's amd64 AKA x86-64. ;) This is the first I have heard of an official announcement. My initial reaction is "too soon" since I still think the PS3 is quite capable, but meh. I probably won't be an early adopter, but I'll probably eventually get one since I am loyal to the PlayStation brand. Will need to wait and see how it works out before making the final decision.

Release is still 3/4 of a year away so I can see the specs possibly changing from now until then, but already the specs seem more than capable. The PS3 has something like 512 MB of memory (256 MB dedicated for RAM and video memory, each), IIRC. Bumping that up to 8 GB DDR5 should offer a world of possibilities, I would imagine. Of course, other specs can factor in, but I imagine that they've all been appropriately updated. :o It will certainly be a very capable device. It will be interesting to see how other consoles measure up.

I find it interesting to see them abandon the Cell processor with this generation and return to an Intel-based architecture. In a way it seems too bad since I had high hopes for what the Cell might have meant for computing in general, but I'd say it was still a successful product (whether or not the partners feel that way internally we may never know). :)

I haven't paid attention to the Wii-U, but IIRC the specs aren't a major leap above the Wii, and if it's going to share a generation with the PS4 specs I think it will be interesting to see if it can still skate by on the casual/gimmick strategy or if it'll just flop.

Append:

Bambam, Baffles, and I are already waiting in line to get one. >:(

8-)

Schyfis
Member #9,752
May 2008

If it isn't super-ultra-open to indie developers, I'm not interested. The PS3 already handles my gaming needs, and I'm thinking more about getting a Wii U. I don't have a Wii, and I hear that I missed out on some good Zelda and Mario games from last generation.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
[freedwill.us]
[unTied Games]

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Some of the non hardware features seem to be compelling, even to me. At least it has my interest piqued.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

someone972
Member #7,719
August 2006

I will have fun laughing at the people who will say that it has better graphics than PC titles. Other than that I don't think I'll get one, I've always been more of a PC gaming person.

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why. -Unknown
I have recklessly set in motion a chain of events with the potential to so-drastically change the path of my life that I can only find it to be beautifully frightening.

Kris Asick
Member #1,424
July 2001

I seriously doubt I will be buying a PS4. I don't even own a PS3 or 360. I've little interest in the vast majority of mainstream titles out there right now, and the ones I do have an interest in I just buy on Steam. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- http://www.pixelships.com

Jeff Bernard
Member #6,698
December 2005

Will have to see if Ratchet & Clank 10 gets announced before deciding if the PS4 is a hit or a miss.

At the least, this news is better than the nothing I've heard about the Xsquare.

--
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

You need to look at the big picture of all the other components like the really fast RAM, the number CU's, the fact that is has no bloat like a pc, etc

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

There's already a leaked photo!

{"name":"BVxRnFw.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/5\/f544bcdfb693c93f753b42c1200f2210.jpg","w":646,"h":484,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/5\/f544bcdfb693c93f753b42c1200f2210"}BVxRnFw.jpg

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

The controller I've seen looks absolutely dreadful and no improvement over the PS3 which was no improvement over the PS2, which was no improvement over the PS1.

I'd rather use gnolam's controller.

The XBox looks nice until you see they've crippled it with slow memory and a hack to make it faster.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

I feel as though X86 will mean hacks-a-plenty, probably even get Windows on it.

Xbox 1 was X86 and there are over 24 ways to run unsigned code.

If they're smart they will give indie developers what they want which is a way to program for it for free. And give Linux people what they want. If they do that then there is a good chance it will not get hacked for a while.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

You'd think though that after over 20 years they'd create a new style for the controller. Bar tecnical improvements I see no difference in the PS4 controller over the PS1. And I hate those stupid symbols that aren't letters or numbers.

Neil.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Yea, the PS3 got hack REAL quickly after they removed Linux support, so that's a case for bringing back Linux support :P

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

You'd think though that after over 20 years they'd create a new style for the controller. Bar tecnical improvements I see no difference in the PS4 controller over the PS1. And I hate those stupid symbols that aren't letters or numbers.

That is one of the appeals in the Playstations, you can go from PS1 to PS3 without feeling utterly lost. Same design so you have little to no learning curve. Changing the controller design results in lackluster sales, remember the Dreamcast? It only became popular after homebrew games otherwise everyone didn't care for the odd controller. Same for N64, while it was obviously a nice system, the controller design and the fact that later games (like Perfect Dark) required the expansion (which was sold separate or with PD if you bought it). I remember Xbox even having mixed reviews in regards to the alteration to the PS like controller design.

All that said, I have absolutely no interest in PS4 or the '720' or whatever the Xbox is going to be called next gen.

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

I don't have any interest in PS4 either.

What strikes me as odd is that the announced specs are essentially a PC.

Does that mean that PCs will be hackable to allow PS4 games to run on them? what measures will Sony to prevent that?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

weapon_S said:

Like the advertising based on what the camera picks up?

I said some of them ;)

The try before you buy and streaming game stuff seems interesting. Something I didn't think sony would do without kicking and screaming the entire way.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

I happen to like AMD cpu's, so I think I'll be getting a Playstation 4... near the end of it's lifetime, or at least when it has many good games. Seriously, I'm not going to get burned agan like I was with the PS3. I bought it expensive to play Final Fantasy 13. What a letdown that game was.... :p Fortunately the Atelier series made up for it later.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I may finally get a ps3 once the prices for them fall, especially if used prices fall far. There's one game I want to play. And I'm sure as heck not paying full price to play one game.

--

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

Thomas, spoken wisely. I'm trying to do likewise. For example, I bought a new PSP for less than 100 euro about half a year ago, and it has served me well ever since. )

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

axilmar said:

Does that mean that PCs will be hackable to allow PS4 games to run on them?

What makes you think that? A PC is more than the CPU. It'll have a custom firmware instead of a BIOS/UEFI and a custom OS I guess, so there you go, all possible compatibility is broken since the hw->sw layer is different.

In theory it should mean than an emulator shouldn't take that much effort, but the XBox was also a PC basically and there's still no working emulator.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I suppose a lot of developers are breathing a sigh of relief at the switch to the more traditional x86 architecture. Hopefully this means that developers will be able to harness the console's power faster than they were able to with the Cell processor.

I wonder how long before we'll be able to install XBMC on it? :)

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Just was announced on our local news. Sony plan to launch the PS4 near the end of this year and said it is more like a PC with touch screen and a camera as well as Steam. Still absolutely no interest in it.

1   2   3 

Go to: