Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Shank Graphics

Credits go to 23yrold3yrold, AMCerasoli, Dario ff, Erin Maus, Felix-The-Ghost, GameCreator, Johan Halmén, LennyLen, MiquelFire, Peter Wang, Specter Phoenix, Tobias Dammers, Trezker, and weapon_S for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Shank Graphics
GameCreator
Member #2,541
July 2002

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

So it seems Rayman Origins has been done using textures too! I think I'm focusing too much in tech field and underestimating the importance of professional artwork :( I guess that's ok, I'm just a programmer after all :P

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

underestimating the importance of professional artwork

Are you saying that it takes no skill to create good looking vector images?

Anyway, it's waste to not use pre-rendered vector graphics unless you plan to do deformations and/or massive scaling.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

No. I'm saying those game look so great that I thought they were made using real-time vector graphics techniques, but I was wrong, those games look great mostly because of the artwork of professional artists and designers.

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

A picture is worth a thousand lines of code. :-[

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Does one take more memory than the other? I can't find anything about that. Was just curious about the pros and cons of Vector graphics to bitmap graphics.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Bitmaps will usually take more memory, especially at larger sizes. Vector graphics require more computing power.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

LennyLen said:

Bitmaps will usually take more memory, especially at larger sizes. Vector graphics require more computing power.

So it is one of those things where you are trading one for the other.

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

Essentially, but he forgot to include vector graphics can also be transformed, though, that may have been implied.

1   2 

Go to: