Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Additional programming languages

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Additional programming languages
Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

bamccaig said:

It's not LUA. It's Lua. It's not PERL. It's Perl. >:(

It honestly doesn't matter. I can type them a lua/LUA/LuA/lUa or Perl/PERL/PeRl/pErL/pERl and anyone that knows what I'm talking about will know what they are. I can type Lua and you will still find someone that thinks you are talking about (Limited User Account or some other acronym). I've read what they said on the LUA site and still don't care. I type them both ways LUA and Lua as well as PERL and Perl and even RUBY and Ruby. I'd be really worried if someone thought I mean Limited User Account in a programming language discussion.

Psst! Aren't you allegedly ignoring me? ???

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Yeah man, like, I can type IDIOT, iDIot or idiOT and everyone knows I mean Specter.

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Dizzy Egg said:

Yeah man, like, I can type IDIOT, iDIot or idiOT and everyone knows I mean Specter.

Don't know, could be hiding that you mean yourself since you keep trying to get a rise out of me and failing. All I can do is laugh at your failed attempts. You mean squat to me so your attempts mean even less. Now if Tomasu, bamccaig, Sevalecan, or Elias had your attitude it might have worked, though that is doubtful too. You see, even though I know they are fed up with me, I could never get mad at them as I consider them friends on here despite what they could say (and have said) about me. There are others on here I consider friends too, 23yrold3yrold, DHarmon, and of course ML.

My whining and complaining is annoying, but harmless (as I'm sure Matthew knows). Yet you are sitting there trying to start a flame war (which is against Matthew's policy) after I had told you that bamccaig made an ignore script and ML has an ignore feature on the forums, which you obviously have opted out of as you have posted remarks trying to (pardon the pun) egg me on in two or three threads now. My complaining may be annoying, but it is completely harmless to anyone on the forums (I'm only hurting myself with it).

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

You're right.

And you're an idiot.

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

Don't worry Specter:

video

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

;D;D;D

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Dizzy Egg said:

You're right.

And you're an idiot.

Careful, I'm sure your IQ is dropping with every post you make toward me. It will start effecting your music for the worse.

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

It will start effecting your music for the worse.

I don't think that is possible.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Hah! 8-)

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I don't think that is possible.

Quote:

Hah! 8-)

Don't get too cocky. That line is normally used to imply it isn't possible because it is already terrible to begin with.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

...and there was me thinking it was a...compliment...err, earth to idiot? 8-)

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Dizzy Egg said:

...and there was me thinking it was a...compliment...err, earth to idiot?

Either way, not much of a compliment. If you were good then it would be possible to get worse therefore if it is a compliment then you aren't good enough to get worse.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

/me grabs popcorn only to find it's bland and tasteless... <sigh>

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

/me grabs popcorn only to find it's bland and tasteless... <sigh>

Salt and butter, or caramel (depending on your preference) ;). Saying that made me remember when I went to watch X-Men in theaters, a guy four seats from me pulled out a chocolate syrup bottle and poured it on the movie theater's salted and buttered popcorn :-/.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

decepto said:

Any library out there that's written in C is instantly usable, so long as you provide the header file (i.e., function signatures) to Lua. Imagine the possibilities!

Looks like this one feature suddenly turns Lua into an actual programming language in one gentle swoop... nice.

Don't get too cocky. That line is normally used to imply it isn't possible because it is already terrible to begin with.

You should seriously consider purchasing an industrial-strength sarcasm detector.

It honestly doesn't matter. I can type them a lua/LUA/LuA/lUa or Perl/PERL/PeRl/pErL/pERl and anyone that knows what I'm talking about will know what they are. I can type Lua and you will still find someone that thinks you are talking about (Limited User Account or some other acronym). I've read what they said on the LUA site and still don't care. I type them both ways LUA and Lua as well as PERL and Perl and even RUBY and Ruby. I'd be really worried if someone thought I mean Limited User Account in a programming language discussion.

Yes you can, and people will know what you're talking about, but you'll look like an idiot. Getting the spelling of a programming language wrong in such obvious ways means you don't care much about details, which means you're probably not going to be a good programmer until you change this, which in turn means you are not worthy of a true hacker's time, which in turn means you will receive less help from any community (even a.cc). Also, each spelling mistake causes a slight disruption to the reader, more noticable the faster you scan a piece of text. More disruptions means more annoyance, and again, a lower chance of you getting help from said reader.

The language is called Lua, and it is named after the Portuguese word for "moon", which you can read on the project's website (http://www.lua.org/about.html). Specifically:

Quote:

Please do not write it as "LUA", which is both ugly and confusing, because then it becomes an acronym with different meanings for different people.

In the case of Perl, it matters even more: the terms "Perl" and "perl" are used to distinguish the programming language, Perl, from its compiler / interpreter, perl.

Aaaaaaaanyway, let's get this thread back off the rails please.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Also, each spelling mistake causes a slight disruption to the reader, more noticable the faster you scan a piece of text. More disruptions means more annoyance, and again, a lower chance of you getting help from said reader.

Cue 100 posts of people arguing that they don't think it's a problem and whoever does find that it causes text to be harder to read is either lying, doesn't put in enough effort or is just a pedantic arsehole.

At least that's what happened the last time that point was raised.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Aaaaaaaanyway, let's get this thread back off the rails please.

So... no Ruby?

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

You should seriously consider purchasing an industrial-strength sarcasm detector.

Nope, won't make a difference. I replied knowing it was sarcasm. It being sarcastic makes no difference to me, I always reply to it and put my two cents in.

Quote:

Yes you can, and people will know what you're talking about, but you'll look like an idiot.

As opposed to what I look like now? ???

Quote:

Getting the spelling of a programming language wrong in such obvious ways means you don't care much about details, which means you're probably not going to be a good programmer until you change this,...

So all the programmers that call C++ Cpp don't care for details? I've met some programmers that capitalize ever language name for emphasis to make it stand out in text (LUA/ASSEMBLY/C++/C/JAVA/etc) so according to your assessment, they don't care for detail. I pay attention to detail, just don't care one way or the other how I type the language name, sometimes I may do LUA and others I may do lua or even do it like the site says to do it and type Lua, but they all mean the same to me.

If I cared what anyone thought of me, I would never have admitted I was part of A.cc or used allegro. Cplusplus.com, cprogramming.com, gamedev.net, and jharbour.com (just to name a few sites) all have said basically the same thing. Here is a quote from GD.net:

Quote:

Allegro is a great niche library, but it is circling the drain. Move to SDL, SFML, or XNA if you are serious about game programming.

I disagree with that point of view, which is why I am still around. If I had agreed with it I would have moved on to one of the other libraries that existed back in 2001 or 2002. God, I could fill up several pages with Harbour's dislike and opinion for Allegro. Only thing I ever voiced about Allegro is that I wish it had built in networking like the newer libraries out there.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I've met some programmers that capitalize ever language name for emphasis to make it stand out in text (LUA/ASSEMBLY/C++/C/JAVA/etc) so according to your assessment, they don't care for detail.

Thta's a different scenario from getting it wrong due to lack of care to detail. If you're deliberately doing it wrong for emphasis, than you're a twat.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

:D

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

LennyLen said:

Thta's a different scenario from getting it wrong due to lack of care to detail.

No I just don't care as I consider them the same no matter the where the capitalization is. Not caring for detail is a person who, does all left aligned source code and when asked just gives the answer of "Because". Speaking of care for detail the start of the line should be "That's". If I didn't care for detail I would never bother posting more than one word responses to every topic. I could stop caring for detail and just start replying to every thread with "Damn!" off and on every few posts and nothing else.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

No I just don't care as I consider them the same no matter the where the capitalization is. Not caring for detail is a person who, does all left aligned source code and when asked just gives the answer of "Because".

I know what not caring for detail is. I was saying that deliberately doing something for emphasis and doing something wrong because you don't know/don't care are two different things. I wasn't talking about you, but rather about the "some programmers" you were referring to.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I was just messing with you on that one. Everyone is entitled to their view on things and entitled to type how they want. I prefer using caps on names and don't care. As I also don't care who likes it. Though I have also typed them in the proper spelling too. Just depends on what my hands do at the time (just like your hands spelled That's earlier as Thta's). I seldom proof read my posts, but I seldom worry too much about grammar as long as I get my point across.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Everyone knows my music is amazing:

video

8-)

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Dizzy Egg said:

Everyone knows my music is amazing

I know, but it was the only thing I knew about you to remark on. I remember I told you I liked several of yours (the Robocop one was one that I think I first heard before listening to your others). Still don't think I've listened to them all yet.

Go to: