This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
A captcha that we could use
MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Samples here

Try it

Too bad the dude who made it wants it to be internet access only right now.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

A bot would miss a few by guessing, but it'd frustrate the grammatically challenged.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

I like the Pick the cats captcha.

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

They need to make a version of that pick the cats captcha that doesn't require JavaScript. Outside of that issue, as a real captcha, I see it working.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

A bot would miss a few by guessing, but it'd frustrate the grammatically challenged.

That's the entire point.

that page said:

How to keep the grammatically challenged off the Internet.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

;D Breed bots with perfect English grammar.
One Captcha I hate is is Solve Media. They use (American?) advertisements in their captcha's where you have to 'finish the sentence'. I think the idea is genious, but WTF they used advertisements that I'm not even familiar with. Their website isn't straightforward about the origins either. Can you imagine what kind of WTF-moments I had when I was deemed non-human ? >:(

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

weapon_S said:

They use (American?) advertisements in their captcha's where you have to 'finish the sentence'.

You watch the video and type exactly what appears in "quotes"...

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Steam has (had?) notoriously difficult captchas (I don't think the service itself, but the forums and such). I can only solve like 5% of them. :P I think a grammar based captcha system is a good idea, but it needs to be more complicated than that so that it can actually have thousands or millions of possible captchas. You'd need to require somebody to fill in a few blanks, including properly capitalization and punctuation. It would need to be able to accommodate the occasional screw up by a human too.

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

maxiblake said:

The problem with this is that only educated people will be able to use the internet.

s/problem/great thing

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Keeping educated people from accessing a tremendous source of education seems a touch counter-productive ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

bamccaig said:

I think a grammar based captcha system is a good idea, but it needs to be more complicated than that so that it can actually have thousands or millions of possible captchas. You'd need to require somebody to fill in a few blanks, including properly capitalization and punctuation. It would need to be able to accommodate the occasional screw up by a human too.

It doesn't need any of this. For the longest time Coding Horror used a single CAPTCHA image, which from my own experience using similar techniques, stops approximately 95% of spam submissions.

CodingHorrorCaptcha.jpg

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

CAPTCHAs work well for stopping bots (although a simple Q&A may work better), but they do nothing to stop SEO spammers. For example, of the last 100 a.cc registrations, 83 have been spammers manually registering via the help of form filling software, etc.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Speaking of SEO spammers, one (Basementalice) posted a profile page on the wiki.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

You should not accept any join_dt that is less than a week. All spammers active or not will be deleted by that time.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I found the email!

Name: basementalice Whaley

Email: ElizabethTBeall@rediffmail.com

now let's see inappropriate.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

You should not accept any join_dt that is less than a week. All spammers active or not will be deleted by that time.

Not a horrible idea, but not great either. Maybe I'll add that grammar captcha ;D

append:

Actually, I think I can let them log in, but make their account a "Guest" or "Read only" account for a week. Maybe. Still don't like restricting valid users.

--

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

These are real people, so a CAPTCHA won't help. Even a 24 hour limit would probably be sufficient. (Time is in UTC.)

It's just that there are some people who make an account, do nothing, and come back a few days later to insert spam. But those people probably aren't the ones likely to try the wiki.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

These are real people, so a CAPTCHA won't help.

The grammar one may. The SEO company that's been spamming me with phone company has real problems with grammar. They are even a Canadian based company.

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It doesn't need any of this. For the longest time Coding Horror used a single CAPTCHA image, which from my own experience using similar techniques, stops approximately 95% of spam submissions.

Who said anything about spam? This captcha is about stopping people that don't care about spelling or grammar from accessing the Internet. :-/

Myrdos
Member #1,772
December 2001

For example, of the last 100 a.cc registrations, 83 have been spammers manually registering via the help of form filling software, etc.

How do you separate the spammers from valid users?

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Myrdos said:

How do you separate the spammers from valid users?

The patterns are obvious. The easiest-to-detect log in from an IP in India, Singapore, or the Philippines but claim they are from the USA. Then they post bbcode into their profile and leave. Those could easily be instant-banned with 100% accuracy.

To get around that, they try to create a silent account and insert the spam later. But then they find out that their accounts are being deleted automatically for lack of activity.

To get around that, they post a seemingly on-topic reply to any forum topic. But that is a sure sign of a spammer too as nobody (especially on this forum) joins out of nowhere just to reply to a topic.

So the only thing they could do to avoid detection is to actually actively participate in the community as a regular programmer would. But then once they try to insert a spam link somewhere they'd be banned anyway.

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

To get around that, they post a seemingly on-topic reply to any forum topic. But that is a sure sign of a spammer too as nobody (especially on this forum) joins out of nowhere just to reply to a topic.

Although it's not that likely that someone would just join to reply to some random topic, it's not impossible either.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

The likelihood that the person is a spammer is nearly 100% given that he never visited the site before and came from an external application. Most people come here from a specific programming related Google search and don't join until lurking around for a few weeks.

When you take that with a fake sounding name and/or a spammy business email address, it's 100% sure it's somebody who is up to no good.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Quote:

And here I was, hoping you'd just joined ;D

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

So, what I'm getting from this thread, is that it's still too early for me to start my spamming plans.

1   2 

Go to: