This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
minecraft
Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

Not to mention a Notched pickaxe was around in Oblivion

[citation needed]

some guy at a TES wiki said:

I just checked the Oblivion Construction Set.

The law still requires affidavit from the lead developer factually showing what was being infringed upon as he would be the one that knew the most about the project

It's a trademark lawsuit, and thus is about the name - not the content of the projects. And the lead developer would not know most about the project (the lead designer might). Neither of those people own the trademark (I also doubt they've worked on every TES game), and I can't see how they would be required (unless they are forced/asked by their legal department) to sign anything.

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

Quote:

Not to mention a Notched pickaxe was around in Oblivion

[citation needed]

Here you go...

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

Quote:

Here you go...

That's from skyrim, not oblivion.

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

Ah, misread the name of the game, sorry! :-/

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Sorry I had read somewhere that the designer had submitted a report for the lawyer to help with the case. As for pickaxes, a notched pickaxe is not a nod to Notch nor MC. If I remember my history there were 3 types of pickaxes used in real life (Single-head, double-head, notched). Not to mention I've heard that Bethesda is kind of anti-indie and if that is true it is really doubtful they would give a nod to an indie developer especially one that was fighting with the lawsuit during the making of Skyrim (as I'm sure the designers and the whole company would have had some idea the lawsuit was going on).

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I've heard that Bethesda is kind of anti-indie

Bethesda is a big company last I checked. Just because their legal department has a bee in its bonnet and its management department has a stick up its ass doesn't mean a designer on the team can't slide an easter egg under the radar for chuckles. Judging from online response it's been almost universally accepted as a MineCraft reference, and that's not a large leap.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

It's obviously a reference to SOMETHING (it's in an innaccessible location, and it's an enchanted weapon without a really practical use), and minecraft is the best fit by far.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

It's obviously a reference to SOMETHING (it's in an innaccessible location, and it's an enchanted weapon without a really practical use), and minecraft is the best fit by far.

Have you played Oblivion? I ran into a lot of items in inaccessible locations there. They put it there to make you work a bit for an item and as always the gamers have made their own assumption that it is a reference to something or an Easter Egg. Just like in one of the ice caverns there is a skeleton chest hanging from the ceiling and everyone is saying it is a Star Wars Easter Egg. Gamers turn everything into an easter egg when it could be little more than an accidental placement by the team. The pickaxe is enchanted so it doesn't surprise me a bit that they put it out of the way.

In Oblivion there was a sacrifice table that was some what of a pain to get to in a mountain and had an enchanted dagger. Since it was in an inaccessible location that required a lot of rock jumping it MUST be a reference to SOMETHING so lets start linking games and movies to it:P.

Fact is that gamers turn things into Easter Eggs that simply aren't there. I'm trying to remember what it was in L4D that fans swore up and down were Easter Eggs, Newell said they weren't there (though I think they did add some to L4D2 after that). I just watched a 3 part video in WoW where the video maker was saying different things were obvious nods to other things. I actually think Tradechat has 3 or so videos linking different things in WoW to real world things like TMNT, Grease, Christopher Walken, Pokemon, Zelda, Blizzards Failed Ghost game, Scarface, and many more.

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

Notch responded to the easter egg on his twitter account. He knows several people at Bethesda, and had a one-on-one interview with Todd Howard where they talked about each other's games. So, yeah it's a reference alright. It's not so impossible to believe really.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Heh; WoW had a ton of Easter Eggs. "Me Grimlok, KING!"

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Heh; WoW had a ton of Easter Eggs. "Me Grimlok, KING!"

WoW has so much pop references to the point it starts to annoy you, mostly on quest names and descriptions. Heck, I think there's even an Order of the Stick reference with an NPC called Durkon, dwarf cleric. :P

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Didn't know about that one, but I believe it. A thread about WoW references would be a whole other 800 post thread ...

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Didn't know about that one, but I believe it. A thread about WoW references would be a whole other 800 post thread ...

Only to those who waste their time playing it. I've only bothered watching videos. I played Runscape, Final Fantasy XI, and Guild Wars and those have pretty much made me not care about very many MMOs anymore. Use to play FPSs online, tons of MMOs and now I seldom touch it.

I have to concede that it is a easter egg due to the generic reply I got back when I emailed the webmaster about it. "Bethesda is unaware of any such item nor are we aware of such acknowledgements to aforementioned person or product. Signed Bethesda Webmaster" The reply was so generic and vague it made me realize they won't reveal it is because they know it will make the look bad for giving him a nod in game while taking him to court over alleged trademark bullshit.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Only to those who waste their time playing it.

Gawd you are negative today. It's Christmas; you are legally and morally obligated to get the Notched Pickaxe Handle outta yer ass.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Gawd you are negative today. It's Christmas; you are legally and morally obligated to get the Notched Pickaxe Handle outta yer .

Nope, negative year round not just one day. Close to Christmas but not yet. Legally? Nope. Morally? Yeah, but I'm not a moral person. "It's everyone's God given right to be miserable."

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

{"name":"go-cry-emo-kid-cat-k8yATo.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/b\/1b7e161a4fb29bf46d91005e1969fefb.gif","w":500,"h":349,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/b\/1b7e161a4fb29bf46d91005e1969fefb"}go-cry-emo-kid-cat-k8yATo.gif

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

How is the kitty related to that? :P

Related to Skyrim as well, it seems the release build of the game doesn't include any compiler optimizations whatsoever. Someone's been getting out the junk and increased the performance by nearly 40% around.

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

The kitten looks like what I imagine Specter looks like.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

The kitten looks like what I imagine Specter looks like.

You tell me => http://www.facebook.com/specterent

Kid?! I'm 30 years old. At that point I think it is a serious problem if you or someone else considers you a kid at that point.

Urban dictionary says Emo kid is:

Quote:

The stereotype for a kid(13-19) who has a lower tolerance for sad emotions, and feels inadiquet of their own personal worth(feels like they arent good enough). Many emos feel so depressed that they resort to cutting to themselves. Emo boys often weird girls pants and dye their hair black, with a pyrimid spiked belt, and tight tee shirts(usualy black). It is known that emos have a kind of rule that 2/5 of their face must be covered by hair, although it is actualy a subconscious feeling of wanting to cover up their sadness(eyes).

I only feel I'm not good enough at programming. Never cut myself, don't have anything black, shorts/jeans and a tank top/v-neck shirt is all I wear anymore. Only have facial hair until my wife asks me to shave. I don't grow it to cover anything, just got tired of having to do it every few days and cutting myself so I just let it grow. Prefer being bald as it is way easier to maintain and no need to brush it.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Smart@ss :P. I mean I got tired of the razor cutting me. I've tried all the razors that claim they don't cut and guess what, they lied heh.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I've tried all the razors that claim they don't cut and guess what, they lied heh.

You're doing it wrong.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

My word, you're easily trolled ...

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

My word, you're easily trolled ...

Well at least I'm useful for something around here :).

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

So, there was talk of an Enderdragon raid? Also, what's the current server address? I've got free time now, so I've started playing again.

Go to: