Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Allegro on Android

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Allegro on Android
Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Realistically, how feasible is it that this could happen?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

42%?

Is that just some kind of arbitrary non-sequitur, or an actual quazi-statistical probability based on your innate knowledge of the platforms, languages, and community involved?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Look up "The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy"

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Look up "The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy"

::)

I don't think a loose reference like that is Matthew's style. ;)

--

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I don't think a loose reference like that is Matthew's style. ;)

Oh hi there and welcome to the forums!

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Call me crazy, but the Matthew's quips are typically much thicker with irony and whatnot... unless there was a thread that I just missed where everybody was talking about Hitchhikers Guide... then it would make sense.

--

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

i'm working on an allegro->sdl interface

ill let u know when im done

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

kthx but serial op

--

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Why do I even have to explain the number? Is my word not good enough? ::)

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Please show us the reasoning/facts that lead you to this apparently arbitrary number. It's the scientific way.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

OT, here's a guy who points out compiling C++ to Java byte-code as an option. (from this thread.) I personally don't know enough about the underlying platforms to know the feasibility of this - I remember Thomas mentioning a wrapper at one point. I had a chance to play with an Android phone and the apps I was using functioned just like a good iPhone app made with allegro.

I'm looking at getting the Thunderbolt because my BlackBerry is quickly turning into a dinosaur. And, to be honest, I'd like "could have allegro programs on it" to be one of the selling points. ;)

Why do I even have to explain the number? Is my word not good enough? ::)

See now that's what I'm talking about. :P

--

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

See the NDK.

I don't know what I'm talking about, but I think that's what you're looking for.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

So it's possible? Sweet.

Quote:

Typical good candidates for the NDK are self-contained, CPU-intensive operations that don't allocate much memory, such as signal processing, physics simulation, and so on.

C++ is the new Assembly. :P Ah, the future... Before long maybe Java will be considered low-level :-X

--

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

What will happen when nobody remembers assembly :'(.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

When there is an AI reading our minds and producing all the needed software automatically, programming as whole will be considered low level & assembly will be studied by historians.

Append:
We'll have some good laugh when these humanitarians will try studying it :D

Append1:

Under humanitarian subjects I mean all those which aren't Math, Physics, Chemistry, CS, etc';
humanitarians are those occupy in'em.

P.S:
Is that definition existent in English?

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

An Android port would be relatively simple with the NDK. Tomasu in #allegro offered to start working on a port if someone sends him a high-end android device I think :) Realistically the probability for an Android port is:

If one of the devs gets an android device and has some free time on their hands: Probability of working Android port is close to 100%.

If none of the devs gets an android device soon or has no free time: Probability of an Android port is close to 0%.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

J-Gamer
Member #12,491
January 2011

I'm still stuck with a Android 2.1 phone... It's only since 2.3 that you can make whole apps in c++ trough the NDK ._.

" There are plenty of wonderful ideas in The Bible, but God isn't one of them." - Derezo
"If your body was a business, thought would be like micro-management and emotions would be like macro-management. If you primarily live your life with emotions, then you are prone to error on the details. If you over-think things all the time you tend to lose scope of priorities." - Mark Oates

Peter Wang
Member #23
April 2000

Someone pays me megabucks: Probability of working Android port is close to 100%.

Note: "close to".

imaxcs
Member #4,036
November 2003

I don't see much reason to port it. The Android SDK is actually really good for games. It provides everything from drawing to sound and input handling. I don't know about 3D stuff though...
It's written in Java, but until the (whole) NDK is widely available and supported, it's a moot point anyway.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

The reason would be that your game will run under Windows, OSX, Linux, iOS and Android with little porting efforts. Of course iOS and Android may still require quite a bit of porting depending on how demanding the game is on the hardware - but in the general case you will safe a lot of time compared to doing a full separate port.

If your game is supposed to not run anywhere but Android (and your comfortable developing a game without having a native Linux binary of it around) then there is not much reason of course.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

ks
Member #1,086
March 2001

I don't have any particular need for these ports however, I'll commit $100 to any effort with respect to broadening the appeal of Allegro. Does the core group have a donation page?

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Well my phone just took it's last breath this morning, so I'm off to get a new one. Consider me a tester for the android port. ;)

I would donate too, but I just bought a new phone. :P

--

imaxcs
Member #4,036
November 2003

Elias said:

The reason would be that your game will run under Windows, OSX, Linux, iOS and Android with little porting efforts. Of course iOS and Android may still require quite a bit of porting depending on how demanding the game is on the hardware - but in the general case you will safe a lot of time compared to doing a full separate port.

Not only the processing power makes the difference between desktop and mobile games. things like screen-resolution or interaction (touchscreen vs. mouse+keyboard) are equally important. I've yet to see a good game that can be played interchangeable on Desktop PCs and mobile devices (apart from very simple games). IMHO they are just too different to make portability worthwhile. Regarding iOS and Android, you have a point though. :)

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

If it's true that Allegro can be ported to Android count another 100 US$ here...

Go to: