Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » 8.8 Earthquake in Japan

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
8.8 Earthquake in Japan
phate
Member #2,235
April 2002

Holy crap, anyone else watching the news right now?! There is a tsunami too, with house floating away, and they're on fire!

-----
For my next trick... ah fark it.
[Website][Twitter]

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I hope they're better prepared for it than we were. Luckily(?) though, with their record of quakes, they should be.

J-Gamer
Member #12,491
January 2011

HOLY SHIT... 8.8, it's been a long time since we have seen such a powerful one :o

" There are plenty of wonderful ideas in The Bible, but God isn't one of them." - Derezo
"If your body was a business, thought would be like micro-management and emotions would be like macro-management. If you primarily live your life with emotions, then you are prone to error on the details. If you over-think things all the time you tend to lose scope of priorities." - Mark Oates

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I'm not a believer, so may they be lucky. Mother nature was harsh on that one.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

The Wall Street Journal news alert reported the EQ was 7.9. Sad I didn't sell Nikkei 225 immediately..

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I'm hearing 8.9, 8.4 in Tokyo, aftershocks as high as 7.1, Fukushika hit with 7ft tsunami wave.

Hawaii will be hit by estimated 2 meter high tsunami in about 3 and a half hours.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

type568 said:

Sad I didn't sell Nikkei 225 immediately..

Its sad that that's what you find sad.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

LennyLen said:

Its sad that that's what you find sad.

Indeed it is. I'm sorry for your personal loss. However I'm quite ignorant about disasters in general, too used to hear about them. Also if I can't do anything about it, why would I even care.. ?

Yet on the other hand, it is very likely I lost a good chunk of my morality during the latest couple of months due to a series of unpleasant events.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

video

Now check out the massive wave of debris at ~0:28:

video

Scary shit.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

Wow, I'm glad my wife was back in the USA when that happened... she was just over Japan that day.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

That is... I don't know what to say. It could have been a lot worse I bet. They've been working on quake proofing for decades. Lets hope everything goes ok.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Now this is interesting. Or I've been hanging around radiation physicists for too long.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Lets hope they can get the reaction cool. Wouldn't want it to go critical or anything.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Quote:

Now this [edition.cnn.com] is interesting.

No, this is potentially the most sad thing in the whole story. Perhaps after me not selling Nikkei :'(

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Lets hope they can get the reaction cool. Wouldn't want it to go critical or anything.

The reactor has been shut down, so it's no longer critical. The cooling is for the residual decay heat - still a problem, but much more manageable. But remember this: even if they completely fail to cool it, that doesn't mean a release of radioactivity.

And everything I've read points to the evacuation being purely precautionary.

--

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

gnolam said:

even if they completely fail to cool it, that doesn't mean a release of radioactivity.

Good. I was hoping there wasn't a way for a reactor to fail even after the shutdown was started.

--

Goalie Ca
Member #2,579
July 2002

WoW! This is not the kind of news I like to wake up in the morning. First of all, I'm rather impressed with the engineering and how they can sustain an 8.9. Unfortunately, it appears the ocean is unstoppable.

-------------
Bah weep granah weep nini bong!

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Oh, the reactor can still fail. It's just that even if worst comes to pass and it melts, that doesn't necessarily mean that any radioactivity will leave the building. :)
Containment buildings are built to absolutely ridiculous standards.

--

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

LennyLen said:

I hope they're better prepared for it than we were. Luckily(?) though, with their record of quakes, they should be.

Quote:

Seismologists say the quake was 160 times more powerful than the one that devastated Christchurch last month.

Quote:

The quake was the largest to hit Japan, the fifth strongest tremor worldwide since 1900 and the seventh strongest in history, according to the US Geological Survey and Japanese seismologists.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03/11/3162153.htm

It took me a minute to realize the barely visible bits of "debris" in gnolam's videos were actually cars, and the larger pieces were buildings.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

How close is Japan to New Zealand? I wonder if the tsunamis will reach, or affect them.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

I'm frankly amazed at the low death toll. Japanese building codes must be something special.

--

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

Indeed, apparently they were even sort of expecting it to happen.

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I think they've been waiting for this to happen since the last big one. I know it doesn't make me smart, but I've seen a bunch of those documentaries on buildings, and Japan's codes are some of the strictest. And rightly so since they sit directly on at least one major very active fault line. AFAIK there are several mild earthquakes per year.

Now, I'm not sure if this is accurate, but some people have been theorizing that earthquakes can and will cause more earthquakes along nearby faults. One of the ideas is that fault likes can act a bit like a zypper. When one point of friction lets go, the energy and force stored there, "unzips" to the next point which causes that one to pop, and the next... etc. And another idea is that the movement caused by one earthquake can cause another to go. Similar idea, but different semantics.

Given the large earthquakes in the region the past year, it doesn't seem all that far-fetched to me any more. China, New Zealand, and now Japan. Crazyness.

IANAG.

--

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Now, I'm not sure if this is accurate, but some people have been theorizing that earthquakes can and will cause more earthquakes along nearby faults.

Aftershocks.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Aftershocks.

Not the same thing as a quake happening in a different location shortly after another quake.

--

Go to: