Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Cleaning up The Wiki

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Cleaning up The Wiki
cgman24
Member #12,536
February 2011

No because programming articles, don't need to be related to Allegro.

But the articles could contain example code, using Allegro.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Don't make me break out the Venn diagrams!

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

cgman24 said:

But the articles could contain example code, using Allegro.

Well it's true, but I think if it's an article about programming and is using Allegro in the example, since it's related to programming stuffs should be ease to convert it by the reader to use it with other version of Allegro and even other library.

Programming Example:

In this example we're going to show you how to create a class and then use an array of object to display 300 instance of and object that is going to draw a bitmap into the screen randomly.

Here we're talking about classes, arrays and programming stuff, and the al_draw_bitmap function that can be easily modified by the user with any other function which can do the same.

Game Design Concept Example:

In this example we're going to show you how to use events to separate logic from drawing and make a ball bouncing to see the differences when modifying the Logic per second nor the frames per second.

In this case Allegro 5 is obligatory to follow that example, and Allegro 4 is not able to do this job. But even thought by seeing some tutorials even if is not related to allegro 4 nor allegro 5 you may get an idea, for that reason I did this: http://wiki.allegro.cc/index.php?title=Category:Game_Design_Concepts

Allegro 5 Tutorial Example:

In this example we're going to show you how to use the Allegro UTF-8 string routines so you can handle UTF-8 strings easily.

So...
- Programming: can be used with all version of Allegro
- Game Design: might or might be not use with all version of Allegro
- Allegro Tutorials: are strictly related to eache version.

What you think?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I think any examples or tutorials that exclusively use one version of allegro should also be in the Allegro category it happens to use. That's not to say they can't also be in Game Design, or general Tutorials. But if they make heavy use of Allegro, then they really should be in the Allegro section.

append:
Articles making use of one version of allegro should also make it very clear right away that they use "Allegro X" to make sure not to confuse people.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Yes its' true, each article have an average of reusability.

Article related to:                Average reusability

Programming                        High
Game design C.                     Middle
Allegro 5/4 Tut.                   Low

If we split this sections we can link to them in any different current version of Allegro, and future versions too. And put them together so if no Article is made to an specific version of Allegro, users are going to see if that article was made for Allegro4/5/6/7/8 without need to go inside each "Allegro 4/5/6..." tutorials.

Let's see, if for example I create an article about how to create a Mario Bros clone.

I think would be in the Game design concept section, but I need to specified that I'm using Allegro 5 nor Allegro 4. Other people which are using Allegro 7 (year 2013), can see it and learn from that article even is they're not able to just copy and paste.

That is an article that use intensively Allegro 5, but for example collision detection which is generic, can be linked in each version of Allegro.

So for example I say "let's see if there is an article about physics"

I go to: Allegro 5 > Game design concepts, and shows me the articles made for allegro 5, if I can't find what I'm looking for, I scroll down to see if that articles was made for Allegro 4, and if is there at least I have something.

{"name":"603566","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/f\/3f2cb80c935b784123743f063605d095.jpg","w":520,"h":616,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/f\/3f2cb80c935b784123743f063605d095"}603566

Other way will be, to have only two version in the wiki, we have currently 4 and 5, then we can have 5.0 and 5.2, in that case what we would have to do is move the articles to each corresponding section, but still specifying that those articles were made with older version of allegro. I don't like this idea because I think is better to have all the documentation online even if is a super old version. But at some point we'll have to remove it anyway. And also because it give us more work.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Indeed, if an article is mostly about game design or about some specific algorithm, then yes, it should go in Game Design or Programming, but should also go in the Allegro N section it happens to use. That is if you have something about collision detection, and it only uses Allegro 4, it should go in Game Design Concepts and Allegro 4, but Not in Allegro 5.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Hey what if we did one of these:

{"name":"603570","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/f\/dfec8b400dd607cd028a7bfa562cb075.png","w":395,"h":81,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/f\/dfec8b400dd607cd028a7bfa562cb075"}603570

Since we're trying to push people into Allegro 5 and Allegro 4 is considered legacy, I don't think it would be a bad idea to keep new people from being confused.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yes, I think something like that would be excellent.

--

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Quick note on that. I chose that verbiage because:

1. it isn't "This article was written for Allegro 4" which may imply that we would need to add a "This article was written for Allegro 5." It's unique to Allegro 4 articles.

2. it weakly discourages Allegro 4 by calling it "older"

3. it explains that the warning is to specifically address compatibility, as not to infer that it the article is "outdated" and/or needs to be revised. This also weakly implies prioritizing the use of Allegro 5.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

wow, that image looks very professional.

So another question: If exist a page "Bounding Box" with examples using A4 and someone want to do another one using A5, what should he do? name it "Bounding Box A5"?

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

So another question: If exist a page "Bounding Box" with examples using A4 and someone want to do another one using A5, what should he do? name it "Bounding Box A5"?

I think it would be best to just keep it as one "Bounding Box" page, and have both the A4 and A5 examples in the same article. The main emphasis for something like that should be the theory, not the code.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Exactly that is a good Idea. So if for example, already exist an article talking about B.B Collision, using Allegro 4, someone can upgrade it by just adding a header (Allegro 5) and star writing, then the only thing that left to do, is add a link to that page in the Allegro 5 "Game Design concepts".

Sounds Gooooood.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

then the only thing that left to do, is add a link to that page in the Allegro 5 "Game Design concepts".

That would happen automatically if that page just lists everything with the category.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

WIP Teaser! ;D
{"name":"603580","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/a\/7aea8b292446634e4cfd49a426e1b93d.png","w":1000,"h":744,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/a\/7aea8b292446634e4cfd49a426e1b93d"}603580

--

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

:-* ;D :D

Nice work man. Looks great.

Only weird thing is the edit buttons. They look out of place and too visible.

Otherwise ... when can we have it!?

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Alright guys, consider it in beta release! Thanks for letting me make the changes and I hope you like it. :)

New Version:
{"name":"603581","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/c\/ccdc1708f4d1082df1643baf04ba932f.png","w":996,"h":807,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/c\/ccdc1708f4d1082df1643baf04ba932f"}603581
Old Version:
{"name":"603582","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/c\/8cae3102396be9ede07971b71e5dee50.png","w":996,"h":807,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/c\/8cae3102396be9ede07971b71e5dee50"}603582

Subtle changes, it's how I roll. ;)

I anticipate that there will be a few quirks for special cases that I overlooked. Please share if you find any. In the future, I will address the text-link colors inside the content panes as well as add little tweaks here and there. If you have an older browser that does not support @import (IE6), it will display it without the new css. IE7 also will not display the rounded corners or shadows.

Billybob said:

Only weird thing is the edit buttons. They look out of place and too visible.

Hmm.... I'm going to agree with you on that one. I think it was one of those things that I wanted to work but it doesn't as much as I hoped.

--

Mokkan
Member #4,355
February 2004

It's looking awesome. Thank you for the work that you're doing, Mark.

Peter Wang
Member #23
April 2000

Now do the official website and manual ;)

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Woow man that is just brilliant! :o That's a Wiki!, I'm short of time right now but I'll be back!

Please let us know when is completely ready.

Now do the official website and manual

What for? ;D

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

AFAIK he's done with the wiki design.

You might need to log out of the wiki and back in to see the new theme. I had that problem.

--

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

It is up, in use, and ready to be enjoyed. :P

AFAIK he's done with the wiki design.

Using it today I'll want to make a few changes to the content paragraph spacing, they feel a little congested. Maybe another thing or two. But yea, it's "done" but will have a few "patch updates" here and there.

Also, I created a new article Allegro - A Game Programming Library. So now we have three distinct ports. That main article, and then the specific articles for Allegro 4, and Allegro 5.

So Er'body Get on That Wiki, I wanna see that Recent Changes page humming along. :)

Now do the official website and manual ;)

;D;)

--

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Hi guys, I'm not dead, it's jut that I'm running out of time these days. I want continue with this.

Yes I had to log out and then back in, It's very nice, I think the AllegroWiki texts style is even better than the own Wikipedia.

Google just send me 75 euros of free publicity I would like to finish my game to promote it on my web page. It's until 31 of this month then it reduce to 50 euros until 30 April and then if I don't use it, completely disappears.

{"name":"603623","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/9\/39220c28071b5a4807e8231d8c865403.jpg","w":883,"h":669,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/9\/39220c28071b5a4807e8231d8c865403"}603623

When I finish all these we could start creating a database for a Trivial game for Allegro and put it on the Wiki, would be funny.

These are some pics of my game so far:

{"name":"603624","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/a\/7a98163ee272d063462b858f88ec39a4.jpg","w":1284,"h":847,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/a\/7a98163ee272d063462b858f88ec39a4"}603624
{"name":"603625","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/7\/87af7fd45070a58da436688d051f331b.jpg","w":1284,"h":848,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/7\/87af7fd45070a58da436688d051f331b"}603625
{"name":"603626","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/5\/7544656b88d79bf16bfbc9d83ea16efb.jpg","w":1284,"h":848,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/5\/7544656b88d79bf16bfbc9d83ea16efb"}603626

I need a database of 1000 questions at least :o that is the most difficult part (in spanish so you can't help me :'( ).

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Hmm ... an Allegro 5 Trivia game? That's not a bad idea! Totally nerdy, but incredibly useful!

Hi guys, I'm not dead, it's jut that I'm running out of time these days. I want continue with this.

Same here, except I took a break to make progress on my game. I need to finish up my MSVC 2010 tutorial, and some intersection/collision articles.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Billybob said:

Allegro 5 Trivia game

OMG I totally had that idea1`!! :o

In the game I was thinking of, the questions were like "which is the correct function name:"

• al_draw_rotated_scaled_tinted_bitmap()

• al_draw_tinted_rotated_scaled_bitmap()

• al_draw_scaled_tinted_rotated_bitmap()

• al_draw_tinted_scaled_rotated_bitmap()

I think it's a fun idea! :) I wanna play ;D

--

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Mark Oates: I hate to bother you, but there is a slight bug. I updated my MSVC 2010 + Allegro 5 tutorial with a bunch of shiny screenshots 8-) They're put into right-side thumbnails. However they don't show up correctly, at least in Chrome on Windows. They don't stay within the confines of their section; they just all lump together on the right.

I hope it can be fixed. The tutorial page looks crazy as-is :'(

Go to: