Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » 2 newbie Makefile questions

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
2 newbie Makefile questions
Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

A better analogy would be a free luxury car instead of an overpriced Yugo.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Except that the analogy was applying to the absurd suggestion of changing operating systems to get a better text editor.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

But Yugos didn't have a "scan" or "seek" button on their radios! They probably couldn't pull in distant stations very well either.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

BAF said:

Oh yes, and instead of listening to a better radio station when I don't like what's playing, I buy a brand new car.

No, instead of listening to a crappy radio station, I listen to a good one.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

BAF said:

Except that the analogy was applying to the absurd suggestion of changing operating systems to get a better text editor.

I think the spirit was more along the lines of changing operating systems to get better development tools.
Also, we're talking about makefiles here, a concept that was invented on Unix and still works best when used in a Unix-like environment. Suggesting to switch to a Unix-like platform to get the most out of them does make some sense, although it's probably still overkill.

No, instead of listening to a crappy radio station, I listen to a good one.

Instead of listening to a crappy radio station, I listen to CDs. Only with operating systems, the CDs are free and the radio isn't.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Yeah, and that spirit is just like suggesting buying a new car to get a better radio.

Switch to a new OS to use a shitty build system anyway... that makes a lot of sense. :P

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Let's see what the money-is-no-object scientists type use, shall we?

{"name":"800px-Operating_systems_used_on_top_500_supercomputers.svg.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/c\/7cd696c8987b0fd04795e7b84a034c52.png","w":800,"h":560,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/c\/7cd696c8987b0fd04795e7b84a034c52"}800px-Operating_systems_used_on_top_500_supercomputers.svg.png

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

And what is that supposed to prove?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Isn't it obvious on the face of it?

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Last time I had linux installed it was Mandriva and I got a message due to trying to run something without permission.

The message said the incident was going to be reported. That's like being spotted stealing something trivial from work and getting grassed up for it.

I thought linux was supposed to be cool. There's a world of difference between being an amiable nerdy tech-enthusiast and complete twat who's life is so devoid of pleasure that he gets a kick out of writing such strings into the kernal of an OS.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I got a message due to trying to run something without permission.

Yes, this is preferable since it doesn't require user intervention.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Last time I had linux installed it was Mandriva and I got a message due to trying to run something without permission.

Must have gotten your password wrong. If you run and app with sudo, and get the password wrong enough times, it'll give you that message and exit.

It actually sends an email to "root", its not about people getting jollies writing "such strings", its about security, and knowing that you can tell when someone is trying naughty things with your box.

Also, its not written into the kernel ::)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

No not really. Just because scientists are using more and more Linux means that everyone else should as well?

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

It's pseudo-proof. Your arguments is that most scientists use Linux because it is better even when money is meaningless. Your graph shows, if anything, that most scientists use Linux, but it does not provide reasons.
My guess would be that Linux is the OS of choice for entirely different reasons - the most crucial applications for computers, in the scientific world, involve really large computers - clusters where you can reserve a few hundred CPUs with a few dozen terabytes of RAM for a few days straight to perform your calculation. For such computers, a highly modular OS, fully configurable and every part tweakable to the max, to the point that parts of the OS kernel can be rewritten to suit particular needs, is the best choice, and a closed-source OS simply cannot satisfy this. User-friendlyness is relatively unimportant: When you have three days to do your calculation, spending an hour or two on learning command line basics is relatively meaningless.
So the most mission-critical systems run Linux - everything else follows naturally, just like a company that uses SQL Server for their databases is likely to run Windows on everything.

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Anyway, sorry about my stupid comment. I'd like to use linux but noone really cares if I use linux or Windows (correct me if I'm wrong) and I find Windows easy. If I ever finish my game I'll be able to compile it for linux seeing as allegro is cross-platform.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

No one bothered to tell you to open the file from within Code::Blocks. Code Blocks will let you select the line ending type as well as correctly read text files with any line endings. If you create a new file in Code Blocks you'll have to select 'all files' in the save type under the save as dialog and put quotes around the file name, but after that it will save normally.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Nice to see you're back Edgar.

I use Notepad++ anyway, but thanks.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Nice to see you're back Edgar.

Cheers, thanks. Good to see some familiar faces. ;)

I use Notepad++ anyway, but thanks.

Does Notepad++ have syntax highlighting? What about project files or compiler and linker options? You should really try Code Blocks. Thanks to this thread I checked their website and version 10.05 came out last May so I downloaded it and I'm going to try it out tomorrow.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Does Notepad++ have syntax highlighting?

Yes.

What about project files...

No.

...or compiler and linker options?

Not really. You should be able to invoke a build file (Makefile, CMake, premake4, scons, etc.) though.

1   2 

Go to: